Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our pump users about their preferred infusion set. This week's poll asks our readers how often they check blood sugars during the night.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son Thomas is 11 years old and has had diabetes for 9. Recently he was asking about the early years and was it hard to take care of a toddler with diabetes. As I explained about the "honeymoon period" he commented that it was then that he and diabetes got married. Quickly he followed up with the comment, "Maybe someday we'll get divorced."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you you ask your child how their day at school went and instead of saying "fine" they start rattling off blood sugar numbers.s See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter's school keeps marking her absences "unexcused" when she is out ill or is sent home with high blood sugars. Are they allowed to do this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Self Monitoring Glucose on school grounds
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
- MasterLab Leadership Institute will be an intensive, exciting, weekend conference featuring expert mentorship, leadership development, and social entrepreneurship workshops to support leaders implementing positive changes for the greater diabetes community, to be held in the Bay Area, in northern California, from Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 2nd.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- Diabetes Usability Study: Patients and Caregivers needed.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Iâ€™ve Had an Insulin Allergy for 33 Years.
- The Uniquely Dangerous Eating Disorder Symptom in Type 1 Diabetes.
- â€śThey Wouldnâ€™t Refill My Daughterâ€™s Insulin Prescription.â€ť
- Why People with Type 1 Should Take Care of Their Teeth.
- Living with Type 1 Diabetes as a Career.
- Low Blood Sugar May Cause Abnormal Heart Rate Linked to Dead-in-Bed Syndrome.
- The Silver Lining of Living with Diabetes.
- Vaccinations in early life are not associated with development of islet autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes high-risk children: Results from prospective cohort data.
- Use of Wearable Sensors and Biometric Variables in an Artificial Pancreas System. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Meal Detection and Carbohydrate Estimation Using Continuous Glucose Sensor Data.
- Single-donor islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes: patient selection and special considerations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Association of Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence with Retinal Microvascular Complications of Long Term Type 1 Diabetes in the Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- CRISPR-targeted genome editing of mesenchymal stem cell-derived therapies for type 1 diabetes: a path to clinical success? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evaluating emergency preparedness and impact of a hurricane sandy in pediatric patients with diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fear of Hypoglycemia, Parenting Stress, and Metabolic Control for Children with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents.
- Cognitive deficits associated with impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes.
- Pregnancy Outcomes and Insulin Requirements in Women with Type 1 Diabetes Treated with Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion and Multiple Daily Injections: Cohort Study.
- Glycemic Excursions in Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy: A Semiparametric Statistical Approach to Identify Sensitive Time Points during Gestation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes treated with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and real time continuous glucose monitoring in two specialized centers in Medellin, Colombia.
- Practices, perceptions and expectations for carbohydrate counting in patients with type 1 diabetes - Results from an online survey.
- The efficacy and safety of SGLT2 inhibitors for adjunctive treatment of type 1 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Acute Kidney Injury in Children With Type 1 Diabetes Hospitalized for Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- Depression, anxiety and anger in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Differences in incidence of diabetic retinopathy between type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus: a nine-year follow-up study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The impact of type 1 diabetes and diabetic polyneuropathy on muscle strength and fatigability.
- Celiac Disease Is Associated with Childhood Psychiatric Disorders: A Population-Based Study.
- Celiac Disease: Role of the Epithelial Barrier. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Low gluten diets linked to higher risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Deerfield 7th grader organizes concert to benefit celiac disease center.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- The T1D Exchange and Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition (DPAC) urge families to Act Now to Protect Affordable Healthcare for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Price of insulin has many with diabetes concerned about survival.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 3 Generations Of Type 1 Diabetes, One Shared Struggle.
- Would-Be Doctor as Patient: Dealing with a Diabetes Diagnosis.
- Amherst athlete Elizabeth Carter fights diabetes, celiac disease.
- Diabetes Can't Stop A Warrior: 11-Year-Old Keeps Playing Basketball After Diagnoses.
- Royals pitcher Scott Alexander manages diabetes and basebal.
- East Texan shares what it's like living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Australia presents Kellion Victory Medal to Tallangatta resident Philip Waldron.
- Type 1 Diabetes: Liamâ€™s Story.
- Webster City woman recognized for 50 years of surviving diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday March 15, 2017 16:50:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.