Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they are concerned about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter. This week's poll asks our readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old (diabetic) daughter was mad at me the other day. She came walking into the kitchen with her backpack full with all her stuff. She really knows what buttons to push, telling me: "I'm running away, I'm taking a lot of candy, and I'm not taking any insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your refrigerator magnets are from your endo, your diabetes supplier, your insurance company, and your pump manufacturer. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have one daughter with type 1 and one with JIA and Ehler-Danlos. I have PCOS and their father has hemochromatosis. Should I have my second daughter's GAD tested? Is she at higher risk for type 1 diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Honeymoon Microdosing Finding the Sweet Spot
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Survey for a New Program for Caregivers of People with Diabetes
If you have a loved one with diabetes, you have felt this before: â€śIs their blood glucose in the safe zone? Have they been checking their glucose enough to be safe?â€ť What if you didnâ€™t have to worry, because someone is helping you keep a watchful eye, and alerts you if your loved one is at risk? Please answer this 5 minute survey to provide feedback on a new program for people who care for a loved one with diabetes and for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card.
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- The purpose of the T1GER clinical research study is to determine the safety and efficacy of an investigational medication in children and young adults with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
Products, Services and Books
- New Diabetes Video Review: One Drop Glucose Meter and App.
- The AACE Patient Assistance Drug Program Directory provides contact information for companies that offer help for patients who would otherwise struggle to pay for their medications.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Guest Post: My Magical Disney Moment.
- 8 Tips For a Successful Snowboarding Weekend With Diabetes.
- Diabetes Experts on How to Stop Eating at Night.
- Mental Health Providers and Diabetes: We Need Better Access.
- Trying to Make it to the Show with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The High Costs of Diabetes Kills: RIP, Shane Patrick Boyle.
- Closing the Loop in Adults, Children and Adolescents With Suboptimally Controlled Type 1 Diabetes Under Free Living Conditions: A Psychosocial Substudy.
- Use of Sitagliptin With Closed-Loop Technology to Decrease Postprandial Blood Glucose in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Characterisation of rapid progressors to type 1 diabetes among children with HLA-conferred disease susceptibility.
- Characteristics of the pre-diabetic period in children with high risk of type 1 diabetes recruited from the general Swedish population - the ABIS study.
- Relative effectiveness of insulin pump treatment over multiple daily injections and structured education during flexible intensive insulin treatment for type 1 diabetes: cluster randomised trial (REPOSE). Free full text available in PDF format. See also Unique trial compares insulin pump to MDI treatment in type 1 diabetes.
- Fast-Acting Insulin Aspart Improves Glycemic Control in Basal-Bolus Treatment for Type 1 Diabetes: Results of a 26-Week Multicenter, Active-Controlled, Treat-to-Target, Randomized, Parallel-Group Trial (Onset 1).
- Faster insulin action is associated with improved glycemic outcomes during closed-loop insulin delivery and sensor-augmented pump therapy in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- The Stress and Coping Context of Type 1 Diabetes Management Among Latino and Non-Latino White Early Adolescents and Their Mothers.
- Comorbidities, low education level increase risks during transition to adult care in type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes: Developing the first risk-estimation model for predicting silent myocardial ischemia. The potential role of insulin resistance.
- In US military, white kids, officers' kids more likely to use diabetes technology.
- Long-acting insulin allergy in a diabetic child.
- Persistence of Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity, Based on Long-term Follow Up.
- ImmusanT's celiac disease immunotherapy passes first clinical test.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Medicare and Diabetes: What is Covered?
- Getting More Glucose Test Strips on a Budget.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Gore joins ViaCyteâ€™s quest for a functional type 1 diabetes cure.
- Diabetic UB hockey player looks to maintain lifestyle.
- Tom Miller: Carr keeps running to inspire others.
- First type 1 diabetic given go-ahead to race.
- 17-year-old girl with type 1 diabetes accused of cheating after taking her blood glucose monitor into driving theory test.
- Diabetes: Kids and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Is It Insulin Worthy?
- OpenAPS Offers Open Source Tools for Diabetes Management.
- Artificial pancreas improves blood sugar control in young kids.
- ImmusanT Announces Completion of Phase 1b Clinical Trial of Nexvax2Â® for the Treatment of Celiac Disease.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday April 04, 2017 18:54:28
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.