Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- Saying Goodbye to Pioneering Diabetes Advocate David Mendosa.
- Insulin prices in America: An example of a system in disarray, a Department of Medicine Grand Rounds presentation by Dr. Irl B. Hirsch, MD, Professor of Medicine.
- Last week's poll asked parents who have kids in day care about who helps with insulin administration. This week's poll asks readers about when they last refilled their glucagon prescription.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitors and the Artificial Pancreas, 3rd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When my daughter was in kindergarten one of her classmates told his mom, "Noelle has to go the health office all the time." When she asked him why, he said, "Because she is diabolical." Of course, she knew what he meant. We still call her our diabolical diabetic.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter has developed hives at her pump sites. Neither the allergist nor the endocrinologist has any advice. What do you suggest?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Dexcom G5 users
Conferences and Events
- Riding on Insulin is offering Mountain Bike Camps this summer.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- The College Diabetes Network announces their Parent Ambassador Program to connect college students with type 1 diabetes families near their universities for assistance, guidance, or simply a friendly face. Parents, this is a great way to be there for someone who is away from home.
- ANNOUNCING: The 2017 DiabetesMine Patient Scholarship Awards - Innovate Locally.
- When a child is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, it can be very scary. There's a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time and all of it is very important. It can be overwhelming. Kara & the Dire Beastie is an animated interactive eBook being created in partnership with the University of Florida to help families with children recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Your donations will help bring the eBook to life.
Products, Services and Books
- Adam Brown's Bright Spots & Landmines offers highly actionable advice to help you achieve your diabetes care goals.
- Our Next Step in Addressing Insulin Affordability.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Community: Children With Diabetes Friends For Life Anaheim 2017.
- Apathy and ignorance are what cost us the most.
- The cost of diabetes.
- Eli Lilly Raises Insulin Prices While â€˜Supportingâ€™ People With Diabetes.
- On Lilly's unconscionable insulin price increase.
- The Cost.
- When Paying for Insurance Makes Paying for Diabetes Supplies Impossible.
- How Did You Know Your Child Had Type 1 Diabetes? Know The Symptoms (It Could Save a Life).
- Logan Merwin: The T1 Boy Behind the 'Fueled By Insulin' Race Truck.
- Iâ€™m not a helicopter mom. My child has type 1 diabetes.
- Infant Feeding and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in Two Large Scandinavian Birth Cohorts.
- A Review of the Current Challenges Associated with the Development of an Artificial Pancreas by a Double Subcutaneous Approach.
- Study: Artificial pancreas helps young children better control their diabetes.
- The Impact of Diet Wheat Source on the Onset of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus-Lessons Learned from the Non-Obese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse Model. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucose Peaks and the Risk of Dementia and 20-Year Cognitive Decline.
- Hypoglycemic Effect of Combined Ghrelin and Glucagon Receptor Blockade.
- A1 beta-casein milk protein and other environmental pre-disposing factors for type 1 diabetes.
- Accuracy of a CGM Sensor in Pediatric Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes. Comparison of Three Insertion Sites: Arm, Abdomen, and Gluteus.
- Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion in Children: A Pilot Study Validating a Protocol to Avoid Hypoglycemia at Initiation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Socioeconomic inequalities in mortality, morbidity and diabetes management for adults with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Neighborhood disorder and glycemic control in late adolescents with Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes distress is linked with worsening diabetes management over time in adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- Dietary intake and risk of non-severe hypoglycemia in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Dietary sodium intake relates to vascular health in children with type 1 diabetes..
- Real-life experience of patients starting insulin degludec. A multicenter analysis of 1064 subjects from the German/Austrian DPV registry.
- SGLT2 inhibitors and diabetic ketoacidosis: data from the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System.
- Long term risk of severe retinopathy in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes: a data linkage study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Attention Problems as a Predictor of Type 1 Diabetes Adherence and Metabolic Control Across Adolescence.
- Psychiatric Disorders in Children Linked to Celiac Disease.
- Assessment of dietary compliance in celiac children using a standardized dietary interview.
- Leaky Gut Syndrome: A Tale of Two Mice Pairs.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- White House says diabetics donâ€™t deserve health insurance. See also I Will Always Defend My Friends, Trumpâ€™s Budget Director Thinks People Choose to Have Diabetes, Donâ€™t Deserve Health Care, and Trump Official Says Diabetes a Preexisting Condition Not Worthy of Coverage.
- American Diabetes Association Extremely Disappointed and Saddened by Comments About People with Diabetes from White House Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.
- American Diabetes Association Responds to Comments by White House Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney about People with Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Insulin price hikes tell us a lot about what's wrong with drug pricing in America.
- Patients Beg For Pricey Drugs On Facebook Black Market.
- Denying Health Care to Diabetics Makes Just About Zero Sense.
- Mum's fury after diabetic son refused food at McDonald's despite sugar levels plunging.
- Former CBS3 Reporter Details Living With Type 1 Diabetes In New Book.
- How I Run 100-Mile Races with Type 1 Diabetes.
- What It Takes To Dance With Diabetes.
- Kilmarnock dentist raises thousands for type 1 diabetes with incredible ultramarathon effort.
- Transplant of Insulin-Producing Cells Offers Hope Against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Woman with type 1 diabetes still off insulin one year after cell transplant.
- Why This Miss USA Contestant Is Proudly Wearing Her Type 1 Diabetes Glucose Monitor During the Competition.
- Research facility will advance treatment of Type 1 diabetes.
- Eli Lilly raised prices on 9 drugs last week.
- The College Diabetes Network and JDRF Announce National Partnership.
- Livongo Partners with American Diabetes Association, Beyond Type 1, Diabetes Hands Foundation, and JDRF on New Direct-to-Consumer Diabetes Management Program.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday May 17, 2017 20:35:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.