Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulinâ€™s Discovery, Dies at 76.
- Join the Tidepool Big Data Donation Project and help Children with Diabetes.
- Last week's poll readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared. This week's poll asks readers if they have considered adding medications designed for people with type 2 diabetes to their diabetes care regimen.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Balancing Diabetes: Conversations about finding happiness and living well by Kerri Sparling.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Living in Wisconsin, one really needs to make sure you have insulation in your house. I had some contractors come to give me an estimate of how much insulation I would need to have blown in. I asked the contractor, "So, how many bags of insulin will I need to make sure I have the proper amount of insulin in my house?" The contractor looked at me and said, "I think you mean insulation, not INSULIN."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when everyone in the family says they are "low" instead of hungry! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How many glucagon kits should an active teen have? Can a doctor write a prescription for more than one kit per patient?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Did you tell neighbors after diagnosis?
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
- Readers are invited to share their thoughts on the Future of Insulin Delivery. Donations will be made to a non-profit of your choice for each survey submitted.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Guest Post: What FFL Was Like as a First Timer.
- Prioritizing Mental Health with Diabetes -- At Last!
- First Indy 500 Driver with Diabetes Talks About Racing, Life with His Disease.
- Effect of artificial pancreas systems on glycaemic control in patients with type 1 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of outpatient randomised controlled trials.
- "It is Definitely a Game Changer": A Qualitative Study of Experiences with In-home Overnight Closed-Loop Technology Among Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mortality in type 1 diabetes diagnosed in childhood in Northern Ireland during 1989-2012: A population-based cohort study.
- Ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: Effect of prospective studies with newborn genetic screening and follow up of risk children.
- Markers of immune-mediated inflammation in the brains of young adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes and fatal diabetic ketoacidosis. Is there a difference?
- Comparative Pathogenesis of Autoimmune Diabetes in Humans, NOD Mice, and Canines: Has a Valuable Animal Model of Type 1 Diabetes Been Overlooked?
- Both the frequency of HbA1c testing and the frequency of SMBG predict metabolic control: A multicenter analysis of 15,199 adult type 1 diabetes patients from Germany and Austria.
- The Risk of Severe Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes Over 30 Years of Follow-up in the DCCT/EDIC Study.
- Shared Responsibility for Type 1 Diabetes Care Is Associated With Glycemic Variability and Risk of Glycemic Excursions in Youth.
- Factors Associated With Diabetes-Specific Health-Related Quality of Life in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes: The Global TEENs Study.
- Examination of Psychosocial and Physiological Risk for Bulimic Symptoms in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes Transitioning to an Insulin Pump: A Pilot Study.
- SGLT-2 Inhibitors: Is There a Role in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Management?
- Glycemic Variability in Type 1 Diabetes Compared with Degludec and Glargine on the Morning Injection: An Open-label Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Prevalence of Celiac Disease in 52,721 Youth With Type 1 Diabetes: International Comparison Across Three Continents.
- Tests for Serum Transglutaminase and Endomysial Antibodies Do Not Detect Most Patients With Celiac Disease and Persistent Villous Atrophy on Gluten-free Diets: a Meta-analysis.
- Anti-transglutaminase 6 Antibody Development in Children With Celiac Disease Correlates With Duration of Gluten Exposure.
- Similar Responses of Intestinal T-cells From Untreated Children and Adults With Celiac Disease to Deamidated Gluten Epitopes.
- Celiac disease symptoms more likely to resolve in children.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- CVS, Abbott, Others Accused of Price Fixing Blood Sugar Tests.
- JDRF Campaign Targets US Healthcare Insurers in Type 1 Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard Hosts Pediatric Diabetes Fundraiser.
- How an elite athlete and type 1 diabetic observes Ramadan.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday May 31, 2017 15:04:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.