Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
New This Week
- Medtronic Recalls Infusion Sets Which May Over-Deliver Insulin. See also URGENT MEDICAL DEVICE RECALL - Notification Letter - Medtronic MiniMed Infusion Sets and Medtronic Announces Voluntary Recall Of Diabetes Infusion Sets.
- Help IFL-USA continues to provide aid to those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- Assistance for the T1D Community Affected by Hurricane Harvey.
- Urgent Need for Insulin and Diabetes Supplies in Wake of Texas Storm.
- An Update on Hurricane Irma.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they use a continuous glucose monitor. This week's poll asks our readers how often they think about diabetes each day.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When Marissa was home over the weekend, I got up to test her around 4 a.m. (she was staying up until 1:30 or 2:30 doing whatever in her room). Anyway, the one night, I picked up the strips, looked at the code on the meter saying 26 and said to myself, "Guess I'd better change the code since the vial says 50." In that split second, it dawned on me that the "50" I saw on the vial was the NUMBER of strips in the vial. Code 26 was written on the vial, too. It helps to be COMPLETELY conscious when testing our kids.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your three-year-old asks if he takes his medical identification bracelet off, will his diabetes go away. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The endocrinologist indicated that my adolescent son will probably be no taller than 165 cm (5 feet, 4 inches). I heard that blood glucose control is more difficult when on growth hormones. Should we pursue the hormones? Are there other side effects?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Teenager High Food Bolus levels
- Switching between Insulin Products in an Emergency offers guidance on caring for type 1 diabetes during an emergency situation. Courtesy of Dr. Stephen Ponder.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- #insulin4all Day of Action on U.S. Insulin Pricing. See also At Eli Lilly Headquarters, Diabetes Advocates Will Demonstrate For Affordable Insulin.
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
Diabetes Products and Apps
- BREAKING: Flash glucose sensing available on NHS for type 1 diabetes from November.
Diabetes in Social Media
- #Insulin4all Protests Target Insulin Makers Over Skyrocketing Prices. See also Protesters at Eli Lillyâ€™s Headquarters Demand Transparency and Lower Insulin Prices.
- D-Mom Takes On Legal Health Insurance Battles for Diabetes.
- A Sobering Experience.
- NEWS: New Dana RS Insulin Pump Embraces #WeAreNotWaiting Open Design!
- Thirty One Years with Diabetes.
- Tandem X2 with Dexcom G5 Update. See also Tandem t:slim X2 and Dexcom G5: It takes Flexibility.
- Helicobacter pylori Infection Is Associated with Type 2 Diabetes, Not Type 1 Diabetes: An Updated Meta-Analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Incidence trends of type 1 diabetes before and after the reunification in children up to 14 years of age in Saxony, Eastern Germany. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Severe Hypoglycemia-Induced Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmias are Augmented by Diabetes and Attenuated by Recurrent Hypoglycemia.
- COMISAIR study: Comparing treatment modalities, including insulin pump with CGM, over 52 weeks. See also CGM Benefits Type 1 Diabetes With Insulin Pumps or Shots.
- Sleep and glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- "Mission Impossible"; the Mothering of a Child With Type 1 Diabetes - From the Perspective of Mothers Experiencing Burnout.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of interventions for people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and disordered eating.
- Treating vitamin D deficiency in children with type I diabetes could improve their glycaemic control. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Adult-onset autoimmune diabetes: current knowledge and implications for management.
- The risks of nocturnal hypoglycaemia in insulin-treated diabetes.
- Estimated glucose disposal rate predicts mortality in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Circulating adipokines are associated with pre-eclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Ethnic differences in early glycemic control in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fluctuation of zonulin levels in blood vs stability of antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Protective Effect of 1,25-Dihydroxy Vitamin D3 on Pepsin-Trypsin-Resistant Gliadin-Induced Tight Junction Injuries.
- Respiratory Infections and the Risk of Celiac Disease.
- What Is Gluten?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 'An escalating crisis': People with diabetes struggle to afford life-saving insulin. See also Protesters call on Eli Lilly to lower insulin costs.
- Student climbs Mount Kilimanjaro against odds.
- Summer of Service: 14-year-old spends summer in DC pushing for diabetes funding.
- Fitbit shares jump following a partnership with diabetes-tracking DexCom.
- What Is a Continuous Glucose Monitoring Device â€“ and Can It Help Me?
- Software under skin helps save toddler.
- Fundraiser brings in heavy equipment to fight diabetes.
- Could modifying gut microbes prevent or delay type 1 diabetes?
- Prevalence of diabetes growing among VN children.
- Fitbit and Dexcom to Develop Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Experience for People Living with Diabetes.
- Insulet Corporation Presents Real-World Clinical Data on the Use of Its OmnipodÂ® Insulin Management System in Approximately 39,000 Patients Using a Cloud-Based Data Management System.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday September 13, 2017 18:09:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.