Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
- Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
New This Week
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
- This Diabetes Awareness Month, we are celebrating diabetes Warriors everywhere. For every Warrior Call that is shared or posted Dexcom will donate $1 to Children with Diabetes and other charities supporting T1D. Just upload your best Warrior Call to Facebook or Instagram. It can be a photo, a look, a shout or a song. Tag @Dexcom, use #WarriorUp and raise awareness during the month of November. Learn more at Dexcom's Call of the Warrior Challenge and see our Tween Warrior Call and Elementary Warrior Call from Friends for Life Falls Church 2017.
- Last week's poll asked our parents about what they do if their child needs a new infusion set while at school. This week's poll asks our readers when they think type 1 diabetes will be cured.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old daughter woke one morning low, so I gave her a couple of glucose tabs to suck on while I prepared breakfast. She decided to go upstairs to wake her aunt who was visiting for the weekend. She woke her aunt and showed her the glucose tabs in her mouth. Her aunt asked her jokingly if she had candy for breakfast every morning to which my daughter replied, "Only on the mornings mummy says 'Jesus Christ.'"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when for Halloween your child dresses up as a sharps box. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Should my son, diagnosed two years ago, be getting any routine laboratory work?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- Alcohol and Type 1 Diabetes.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- Diabetes educator, Gary Scheiner gives his in-depth review of the newly approved Abbott Freestyle Libre CGM continuous glucose monitor.
Diabetes in Social Media
- World Diabetes Day: How I Overcame Shame and Loved My Imperfections.
- Diabetes Digital Health Unplugged, at the Fall 2017 D-Data ExChange.
- Dexcom Submits G6 Sensor to the FDA.
- Medicare, Dexcom G5, & Smartphone Access: Whoâ€™s to Blame and What Can We Do?
- Laura Marston: The growing price tag put on the lives of patients with type 1 diabetes.
- About Medtronic's CGM Sensor Delays.
- Effect of Oral Insulin on Prevention of Diabetes in Relatives of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Preserved Proinsulin Secretion in Long Standing Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of Excessive Weight Gain on Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetes: Results From the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Study.
- A Coxsackievirus B vaccine protects against virus-induced diabetes in an experimental mouse model of type 1 diabetes. See also Enterovirus vaccine prevents virus-induced diabetes in a T1D experimental model.
- N-Glycan Profile and Kidney Disease in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Morning administration of 0.4U/kg/day insulin glargine 300U/mL provides less fluctuating 24-hour pharmacodynamics and more even pharmacokinetic profiles compared with insulin degludec 100U/mL in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Self-Blood Glucose Monitoring Underestimates Hyperglycemia and Hypoglycemia As Compared To Continuous Glucose Monitoring In Type 1 And Type 2 Diabetes.
- Closed-Loop Control During Intense Prolonged Outdoor Exercise in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: The Artificial Pancreas Ski Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- A Qualitative Analysis of Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data Sharing with Care Partners: To Share or Not to Share?
- Maturation of CGM and Glycemic Measurements Beyond HbA1câ€”A Turning Point in Research and Clinical Decisions. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Standardizing Clinically Meaningful Outcome Measures Beyond HbA1c for Type 1 Diabetes: A Consensus Report of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, the American Diabetes Association, the Endocrine Society, JDRF International, The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust, the Pediatric Endocrine Society, and the T1D Exchange. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Improving the Clinical Value and Utility of CGM Systems: Issues and Recommendations. Free full text available in PDF format.
- International Consensus on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Advice for CGM Trend Arrow Data to Adjust Insulin Doses in Diabetes.
- The effect of peer support in adults with insulin pump-treated type 1 diabetes: a pilot study of a flexible and participatory intervention. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Socioeconomic Deprivation, Household Education, and Employment are Associated With Increased Hospital Admissions and Poor Glycemic Control in Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Common Mental Disorders in Adolescents with and without Type 1 Diabetes: Reported Occurrence from a Countrywide Survey.
- Topical Review: Adherence Interventions for Youth on Gluten-Free Diets.
- HLA-DQ-Gluten Tetramer Blood Test Accurately Identifies Patients With and Without Celiac Disease in Absence of Gluten Consumption.
- New Device Can Help Detect Gluten In Food.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Impact of the 2013 National Rollout of CMS Competitive Bidding Program: the Disruption Continues.
- Measuring the Burden of Health Care Costs on US Families.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The Weight: Caregiver Fatigue And Diabetes.
- Immune Checkpoint Found Lacking in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Group injects new life into camp for children with diabetes.
- Managing diabetes at school.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Transforming the Lives of Canadians with Diabetes.
- New technology a game changer for Type 1 diabetes.
- Ottawa Preteen's Sugardrop Sweetwear Co. Fashionably Fighting Diabetes.
- Living with diabetes 50 years on.
- A spotlight on women.
- AACE and Endocrine Society Collaborate to Address Insulin Affordability and Access.
- Dexcom Announces Development Agreement with Lilly to Integrate Dexcom CGM into Connected Diabetes Ecosystem.
- In Big Win for JDRFâ€™s Coverage2Control Campaign, Anthem Decides to Cover Artificial Pancreas Systems.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Tuesday December 05, 2017 15:04:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.