Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Canada 2018
November 2-4, 2018
Marriott on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Of Continuing Interest
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. For Valentine's Day, buy 11 roses for your sweetheart and donate the value of the 12th rose to Life for a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 18,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 46 under-resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program. Even $5 makes a difference -- it's one month of insulin. Your donation is, quite literally, life. Please give generously.
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked pump users how often they change their infusion set. This week's poll asks our readers how they usually obtain their insulin.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, 4th Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1 on April 1 (of all days!). He is an avid Pokemon fan. We were teaching him how to read the nutrition labels and find out how many carbs are in various foods. One day he picked up a can of light lemonade and said "Mom, this does 2 points damage, can I drink this?" So now we track our carbs by how many "hit points" or how much "damage" a food will do.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes your three-year-old asks if he takes his medical identification bracelet off, will his diabetes go away. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
For someone with type 1, what are the consequences of drinking regular Coca Cola? Is it better to have it with a healthy food?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Forced Non-Medical Switching
- The T1D Camp Finder Tool, powered by Beyond Type 1 and the Diabetes Education & Camping Association (DECA), can help you find a diabetes summer camp.
Conferences and Events
- Pump Wear's annual Caring and Sharing Weekend will be held from Friday, May 11 to Sunday, May 13, 2018.
- The 2018 Students With Diabetes National Conference will be held from Friday, May 25, 2018 to Sunday, May 27, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore Airport.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- You can download the College Diabetes Network's Political Advocacy Guide.
- OHIP+: What does it mean for Canadians with type 1 diabetes?
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Is the Publicâ€™s Lack of Empathy to Blame for Increased Insulin Costs?
- Get Bent.
- What if a School District Wonâ€™t Cooperate With Diabetes Care?
- A Pancreas for My Wife.
- Becoming a Type 1 Parent: Two Mothersâ€™ Stories.
- Our feelings about the Abbott Freestyle Libre System.
- AADE Gets Serious About Embracing the Diabetes Patient Community + Peer Support.
- Remembering What Diabetes Community Looks and Feels Like.
- Misdiagnosis Leads to Twin's Tragic Death.
- Impact of erroneous meal insulin bolus with dual-hormone artificial pancreas using a simplified bolus strategy - A randomized controlled trial.
- Impact of C-Peptide Status on the Response of Glucagon and Endogenous Glucose Production to Induced Hypoglycaemia in T1D.
- Beta Cell Function after Intensive Subcutaneous Insulin Therapy or Intravenous Insulin Infusion at Onset of T1D in Children without ketoacidosis.
- A type 1 diabetes genetic risk score can discriminate monogenic autoimmunity with diabetes from early-onset clustering of polygenic autoimmunity with diabetes.
- Administration of vitamin D and high dose of omega 3 to sustain remission of type 1 diabetes.
- Coxsackievirus B1 infections are associated with the initiation of insulin-driven autoimmunity that progresses to type 1 diabetes..
- Virus-like infection induces human Î˛ cell dedifferentiation.
- A physical activity intervention for children with type 1 diabetes- steps to active kids with diabetes (STAK-D): a feasibility study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fear of hypoglycaemia and its relation to hypoglycaemia awareness and symptom intensity in Type 1 diabetes.
- Food Insecurity is Associated with High Risk Glycemic Control and Higher Health Care Utilization among Youth and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cost calculation for a flash glucose monitoring system for UK adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus receiving intensive insulin treatment.
- Impact of Insulin Delivery Method on Hypoglycemia Incidence in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Oral contraception in adolescents with type 1 diabetes and its association with cardiovascular risk factors. A multicentre DPV study on 24,011 patients from Germany, Austria, or Luxembourg.
- Gluten-free diet may improve obstructive sleep apnea-related symptoms in children with celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Gluten Project Is a Search Engine For Finding GFCO-Certified Gluten-Free Products.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- CNN Exclusive: California launches investigation following stunning admission by Aetna medical director.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Insulin quality questions have diabetes experts scrambling.
- Edgewood senior says she won't let anything hold her back.
- Crossing for a Cause: Seville Grove man to cycle from Perth to Sydney for Telethon Type 1 Diabetes Family Centre.
- Valognes delivers first major success for Team Novo Nordisk in Dubai Tour.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday February 21, 2018 12:56:05
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.