Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Canada 2018
November 2-4, 2018
Marriott on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they usually obtain their insulin. This week's poll asks our readers what they do if they are running out of insulin before they are allowed to renew their prescription.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me by Adam Brown.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I'm 21 and a newly diagnosed. I took my uncle's cat to the vet for her weekly Feline Diabetes checkup. One of the kids in the waiting room asked what the cat was in for. I told her, "A diabetes check up." I had to check my sugar just then and she asked what I was doing. I told her I was also diabetic. Her reply was, "It runs in the family?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child refers to sequel movies as "Type 2." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Should my son, diagnosed two years ago, be getting any routine laboratory work?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
New to Tandem
- We've updated our list of diabetes summer camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Adjusting Insulin Based on CGM: New Guidelines from Endocrine Society.
Conferences and Events
- Pump Wear's annual Caring and Sharing Weekend will be held from Friday, May 11 to Sunday, May 13, 2018.
- The 2018 Students With Diabetes National Conference will be held from Friday, May 25, 2018 to Sunday, May 27, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore Airport.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- You can download the College Diabetes Network's Political Advocacy Guide.
- OHIP+: What does it mean for Canadians with type 1 diabetes?
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Moms and dads of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help evaluate an online community designed by and for other parents like you. Please visit www.bit.ly/youngT1D to learn how you can make a difference.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- The Diabetes Health Professional 2017/2018 Annual Product Reference Guide now online.
Diabetes in Social Media
- On Medicare with Diabetes? We've Got Good News.
- Site Change.
- The Many â€śHatsâ€ť of a Certified Diabetes Educator.
- Updates and Opportunities from JDRFâ€™s Incisive 2018 Mission Summit.
- Why Doesnâ€™t Dexcom Talk About â€śCompression Lows?â€ť
- Hacking the Abbott Libre Flash Glucose Monitor.
- Ten Things People Do for Insulin.
- "Lucky Few" Book Touches on Diabetes and Teen Angst (with Giveaway!).
- A plateau in new onset type 1 diabetes: Incidence of pediatric diabetes in the United States Military Health System.
- Methyldopa blocks MHC class II binding to disease-specific antigens in autoimmune diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Researchers find existing drug effective at preventing onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes susceptibility alleles are associated with distinct alterations in the gut microbiota. See also Researchers discover link between gut and type 1 diabetes.
- Optimizing Hybrid Closed-Loop Therapy in Adolescents and Emerging Adults Using the MiniMed 670G System.
- Growth Trajectory in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Impact of Insulin Treatment and Metabolic Control.
- Long-term Study of Tubeless Insulin Pump Therapy Compared to Multiple Daily Injections in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Data from the German/Austrian DPV-Registry.
- Gender-differences in glycemic control and diabetes related factors in young adults with type 1 diabetes: results from the METRO study.
- Sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors as add-on therapy to insulin for type 1 diabetes mellitus: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Preconception Counseling for Adolescents and Young Adults with Diabetes: a Literature Review of the Past 10 Years.
- Are All Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Destined for Dialysis if They Live Long Enough? Probably Not. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Low Incidence of End-Stage Renal Disease in Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Followed for Up to 42 Years. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Incidence of End-Stage Renal Disease in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cumulative Kidney Complication Risk by 50 Years of Type 1 Diabetes: The Effects of Sex, Age, and Calendar Year at Onset.
- Effects of residential summer camp on body mass index and body composition in type 1 diabetes.
- Outcome measures in coeliac disease trials: the Tampere recommendations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- 10 Things I Wish My Doctor Had Told Me About Being on a Gluten-Free Diet.
- The Find Me Gluten Free app will help you find gluten free food near you.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- CAFF - A mother and daughter face reality of living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rare Tumor Could Help Produce Insulin For Type-1 Diabetics, Study Shows.
- Insulet Has Strong Presence at the International ATTD Congress; Presents Positive Study Results for Its Omnipod Horizonâ„˘ Hybrid Closed-Loop System.
- Reduced Time in Hypoglycemia Demonstrated in Tandem Diabetes Careâ€™s Pivotal Trial for the t:slim X2 Insulin Pump with Predictive Low Glucose Suspend Feature; Data to be Presented at ATTD 2018 Conference.
- New Study Demonstrates that DexCom CGM Significantly Reduces Hypoglycaemia in People with Type 1 Diabetes on MDI.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Applies for Health Canada Medical Device License.
- Tackling the Cell Supply Challenge Takes Center Stage in Spain as DRI's Dr. Juan Dominguez-Bendala Discusses Potential Breakthroughs.
- Zealand Pharma's dasiglucagon Phase 2a results at the 11th International Conference on ATTD.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday February 21, 2018 18:46:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.