Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Canada 2018
November 2-4, 2018
Marriott on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers what they do if they are running out of insulin before they are allowed to renew their prescription. This week's poll asks our readers how many basal rates they have in their usual pump profile.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Sister Has Diabetes and How That Makes Me Feel by Grace Rooney, Illustrated by Michele Pensa.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day, my 11 year old was watching a basketball game. He said, "The other teams needs 3 more units to win." Too funny!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Should my son, diagnosed two years ago, be getting any routine laboratory work?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Carbs in OTC Meds
- We've updated our list of diabetes summer camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Adjusting Insulin Based on CGM: New Guidelines from Endocrine Society.
Conferences and Events
- Pump Wear's annual Caring and Sharing Weekend will be held from Friday, May 11 to Sunday, May 13, 2018.
- The 2018 Students With Diabetes National Conference will be held from Friday, May 25, 2018 to Sunday, May 27, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore Airport.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- You can download the College Diabetes Network's Political Advocacy Guide.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Moms and dads of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help evaluate an online community designed by and for other parents like you. Please visit www.bit.ly/youngT1D to learn how you can make a difference.
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- The Diabetes Health Professional 2017/2018 Annual Product Reference Guide now online.
- 8 Diabetes Products on the Horizon.
- Glooko's Annual Diabetes Report 2017 gives a look at what can be learned from over 8 billion data points from around the world.
Diabetes in Social Media
- A Child with T1D Gives Back at an Early Age.
- Sizing Up #ATTD2018 â€” Big European Diabetes Tech Conference.
- The 2018 Diabetes Oscars Go To... .
- Online diabetes peer-supportâ€¦ now a resource to guide you.
- One Manâ€™s Odyssey: The Maddening Quest for a Libre.
- When Diabetes Screams for Attention.
- My take from using FiaspÂ®.
- Clustering of microvascular complications in Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Human Subcutaneous Tissue Response to Glucose Sensors: Macrophages Accumulation Impact on Sensor Accuracy.
- Real-time continuous glucose monitoring in adults with type 1 diabetes and impaired hypoglycaemia awareness or severe hypoglycaemia treated with multiple daily insulin injections (HypoDE): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.
- Patients' and caregivers' experiences of using continuous glucose monitoring to support diabetes self-management: qualitative study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinically meaningful and lasting HbA1c improvement rarely occurs after 5 years of type 1 diabetes: an argument for early, targeted and aggressive intervention following diagnosis.
- Impact of type 1 diabetes on maternal long-term risk of hospitalisation and mortality: a nationwide combined clinical and register-based cohort study (The EPICOM study).
- Association between depressive symptoms and dietary intake in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Inverse association of insulin antibody levels with insulin sensitivity in adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- Basal Insulin Regimens for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis.
- Intensive remote monitoring versus conventional care in type 1 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial.
- Factitious hypoglycemia in children and adolescents with diabetes.
- Safety of Oats in Children with Celiac Disease: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial.
- Dietary Patterns After the Weaning and Lactation Period Associate with Celiac Disease Autoimmunity in Children.
- Gut microbiota trajectory in early life may predict development of celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Endoplasmic reticulumâ€“resident protein 57 (ERp57) oxidatively inactivates human transglutaminase 2. See also Looking for an off switch for celiac disease, Researchers discover a new enzyme that treats celiac disease, and Researchers Discover Protein Activity That Could Treat Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Emergency Prescription Refill Bill Signed Into Law.
- Injections a sticking point in schools for students with diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Woman raises concerns over diabetes alert dog agency.
- Type 1 diabetes: A life-changing diagnosis.
- Roche's Sinking Diabetes Unit Looks Toward a Monster for a Boost.
- Thomy toolkit could make life easier for children with type-1 diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday February 28, 2018 20:15:17
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.