Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Canada 2018
November 2-4, 2018
Marriott on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how many basal rates they have in their usual pump profile. This week's poll asks our readers how concerned they are about the accuracy of their glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were getting our puppy certified to be a therapy dog and we had to get a letter from the vet saying that she was healthy. This includes taking a stool sample to the vet. So after I "gathered" the sample and put it into a plastic baggy I noticed something black. After taking a look, it noticed what it was -- the dog had eaten a test strip!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My wife believes that type 1 "goes sideways" genetically, that because her siblings have it, she is a carrier of the disease. Is this correct?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Ketone strip accuracy?
- We've updated our list of diabetes summer camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Adjusting Insulin Based on CGM: New Guidelines from Endocrine Society.
- Pizza and Diabetes: How to Eat Pizza Without Sabotaging Your Blood Sugars.
Conferences and Events
- Pump Wear's annual Caring and Sharing Weekend will be held from Friday, May 11 to Sunday, May 13, 2018.
- The 2018 Students With Diabetes National Conference will be held from Friday, May 25, 2018 to Sunday, May 27, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore Airport.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- You can download the College Diabetes Network's Political Advocacy Guide.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Moms and dads of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help evaluate an online community designed by and for other parents like you. Please visit www.bit.ly/youngT1D to learn how you can make a difference.
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- The three major insulin providers in the US offer assistance programs to help people who are struggling to pay for their insulin:
See also the Partnership for Prescription Assistance.
- Eli Lilly & Company
www.lillycares.com and www.insulinaffordability.com
- Novo Nordisk
Diabetes in Social Media
- Hot-Off-the-Press from ATTD: CGM, Time-in-Range, & Hypoglycemia Prevention.
- Unspeakably Wonderful - The Untold Story of Insulin.
- Safety first.
- Crossing for a Cause.
- How To Stop Over-Eating and Over-Treating Low Blood Sugars.
- Counting Carbs on the Go.
- He says. She says. D says. Who gets the last word in a couple with diabetes?
- â€śMom Guiltâ€ť and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fiasp, a Faster Mealtime Insulin, Now Available in US Pharmacies.
- Guilt of Expenses.
- Where are all the generic insulins hiding?
- EMTs Not Allowed to Administer Glucagon.
- Why Are Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Overweight and What Can Help?
- GlucoseZone: An Exercise App for People with Diabetes.
- Meet BluHale: Afrezza Inhaled Insulin's New Data-Tracking Accessory.
- Researchers Identify Stem Cells That Can Be Programmed to Produce Insulin.
- The Impact of T1D on Siblings. See also The Experience of Siblings of Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Novel subgroups of adult-onset diabetes and their association with outcomes: a data-driven cluster analysis of six variables. See also Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests.
- A prospective study evaluating the use of nasal glucagon for the treatment of moderate to severe hypoglycemia in adults with type 1 diabetes in a real-world setting.
- Seasonal Variation in Month of Diagnosis of Polish Children with Type 1 Diabetes - A Multicenter Study.
- Preventing Nocturnal Hypoglycemia: Single- vs Dual-Hormone Artificial Pancreas System.
- Safety and Efficacy of Epigenetically Converted Human Fibroblasts Into Insulin-Secreting Cells: A Preclinical Study.
- Real-World Use of Open Source Artificial Pancreas Systems. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Greater early postprandial suppression of endogenous glucose production and higher initial glucose disappearance is achieved with fast-acting insulin aspart compared to insulin aspart.
- Automatic Adaptation of Basal Insulin Using Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy.
- Effect of Automated Bolus Calculation on Glucose Variability and Quality of Life in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes on CSII Treatment.
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Youth With Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Have Poor Prognostic Factors.
- Young children with type 1 diabetes can achieve glycemic targets without hypoglycemia: Results of a novel intensive diabetes management program.
- Advancing diabetes management in adolescents: Comparative effectiveness of mobile self-monitoring blood glucose technology and family-centered goal setting.
- "KiDS and Diabetes in Schools" project: Experience with an international educational intervention among parents and school professionals.
- Severe hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis in young persons with preschool onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus: An analysis of three nationwide population-based surveys.
- Association between habitual coffee consumption and metabolic syndrome in type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis incidence in children at first presentation of type 1 diabetes at an Australian regional hospital: the effect of health professional education.
- CGM Cuts Hypoglycemia in At-Risk Type 1 Diabetes Patients. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Increased prevalence of disordered eating in the dual diagnosis of type 1 diabetes mellitus and celiac disease.
- Dietary Factors and Mucosal Immune Response in Celiac Disease Patients Having Persistent Symptoms Despite a Gluten-free Diet.
- Early fecal microbiota composition in children who later develop celiac disease and associated autoimmunity.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Drug transparency bill ignores role of insurers.
- EMA Accepts Regulatory Submission for Forxiga in Adults with Type-1 Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Type 1 Diabetes Is No Longer Just for Kids.
- Boxing, running, dead liftsâ€”diabetes doesnâ€™t hold this Atlanta personal trainer back.
- Sugar and Summits: Hiking the Appalachian Trail with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Before winning a state title, Carmel's Riley Palm had to pin diabetes.
- Dangerous Trend: 40 Percent Of Young Women With Diabetes Suffer Eating Disorder.
- How two Northwestern grads are making childhood illness easier to 'bear': BTN LiveBIG.
- Meet Maggie Crawford.
- Major Medical Associations Feud Over Diabetes Guidelines.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday March 07, 2018 18:53:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.