Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Before It's Too Late is a powerful reminder of the importance of knowing the signs of type 1 diabetes and educating others.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they think type 1 diabetes will be cured first. This week's poll asks our readers if they think type 1 diabetes is a disability.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son James has had diabetes since he was 14 months old. I attend a diabetes support group and the subject came up of giving the child with diabetes control over their diabetes. One example they gave was to have the child decide where they wanted their shot (e.g., arm, stomach, thigh, buttocks). The next morning I asked James, who was 3 at the time, "Where would you like your shot today?" James' response was, "IN THOMAS". Thomas is James' older brother. Thank God for James, he does keep us laughing!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
At the hospital, my young daughter's blood sugar was 11 mmol/L [200 mg/dl] with 0.5 ketones. The nurse was not concerned about diabetes, but I am. Can dehydration cause a high blood glucose with ketones?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- A student in the Toronto School District is running a survey about Type 1 Diabetes and Antibiotics.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- The Edelman Report: About the A1c Test and When it May Not Be Accurate.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Leonard Thompson.
- CNN Reports on a DKA Death.
- DKA Awareness Campaigns Kick Into High Gear.
- The School Nurse Who Cares for 8 Kids with Type 1.
- Dr. Dana Hardin of Eli Lilly: A Grandmother's Diabetes Influence.
- New Diabetes Data and Smartwatch Tech at CES 2017.
- T1D Device Malfunctions and What to Do.
- Is Someone with Type 1 Diabetes "Disabled"?
- Dealing with Diabetes Related Complication Guilt.
- Where is the Love for Diabetes?
- With CGM data on his pump, Will Cross is inspired to climb.
- A New Approach to Diabetes Subtypes (And Legitimizing Prediabetes).
- Detection of enteroviruses in stools precedes islet autoimmunity by several months: possible evidence for slowly operating mechanisms in virus-induced autoimmunity.
- Improved Postprandial Glycemic Control with Faster-Acting Insulin Aspart in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Using Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion.
- Is islet transplantation a realistic approach to curing diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- "Learning" Can Improve the Blood Glucose Control Performance for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Role of intestinal microbiota and metabolites on gut homeostasis and human diseases. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Basal rate tests (24 h fasts) performed in type-1 diabetic subjects with either absolute fasting or snacks containing negligible carbohydrate amounts result in similar glucose profiles - a randomized controlled prospective trial.
- Young people with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Attitudes, perceptions, and experiences of diabetes management and continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy.
- Physical Activity Levels of Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improved treatment satisfaction in patients with type 1 diabetes treated with insulin glargine 100U/mL versus neutral protamine Hagedorn insulin: An exploration of key predictors from two randomized controlled trials.
- Behavioral Analysis of Chinese Adult Patients with Type 1 Diabetes on Self-monitoring of Blood Glucose.
- Does oral glutamine improve insulin sensitivity in adolescents with type 1 diabetes?
- Brief Computer-Delivered Intervention to Increase Parental Monitoring in Families of African American Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Higher glucose variability in type 1 than in type 2 diabetes patients admitted to the intensive care unit: A retrospective cohort study.
- Iowa Gambling Task Performance Prospectively Predicts Changes in Glycemic Control among Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. (See also Iowa Gambling Task in Wikipedia.)
- Evolution of Gluten Content in Cereal-Based Gluten-Free Products: An Overview from 1998 to 2016. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Ethnic differences in coeliac disease autoimmunity in childhood: the Generation R Study.
- Biomarkers to Monitor Gluten-Free Diet Compliance in Celiac Patients.
- Iron deficiency anemia despite effective gluten-free diet in celiac disease: Diagnostic role of small bowel capsule endoscopy.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Artificial pancreas gives hope of easier management to Type 1 diabetics.
- The search for what triggers type 1 diabetes.
- Common virus may have role in type 1 diabetes.
- Families feeling financial strain of diabetes.
- Former Steeler Kendall Simmonsâ€™ NFL career helped him manage life with diabetes.
- Type One diabetes campaigners at parliament.
- Schoolgirl undertakes epic cycle challenge to raise type 1 diabetes awareness.
- Toddler, 20 months, becomes youngest child in the world to receive blood from her own umbilical cord to stop diabetes - after it was stored to treat her sister for the same disease.
- Case Western receives $2.5 million Helmsley grant for 'smart' insulin development.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday January 11, 2017 19:54:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.