Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
New This Week
- We've updated our forums to use a more modern system and to include our new look.
- Animas Corporation intends to exit the insulin pump business and discontinue the manufacturing and sale of AnimasÂ® VibeÂ® and OneTouch PingÂ® insulin pumps and direct its customers to Medtronic. In response, Insulet and Tandem have set up programs to help Animas pump users. See also NEWSFLASH: Animas Exiting Insulin Pump Market and Animas Shuts Down its Pump Line.
- Last week's poll asked our parents where their child checks their glucose while at school. This week's poll asks our readers what their plans are for Halloween.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Sister Has Diabetes and How That Makes Me Feel by Grace Rooney, Illustrated by Michele Pensa.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My six-year-old son who was diagnosed at 23 months was asking me about DKA. I explained to him that DKA happens when you don't get enough insulin. I also told him that the only time he'd ever been in DKA was when he was first diagnosed because he wasn't getting any insulin at all since we didn't know he had diabetes. He looked at me sternly and said, "Mom! You should have looked at my i.d. bracelet!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you purchase a new baby monitor for your D 8-year-old's room. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
For a teen who is in evolved in many activities, how many glucagon kits should he/she have?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Travel with spare pump
- Sugar Surfing, Kids and Carbs.
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Training Camp Foundation is hosting a Teen Boot Camp from December 1-3, 2017 in Lancaster, PA.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- The three major insulin providers in the US offer assistance programs to help people who are struggling to pay for their insulin:
- Eli Lilly & Company
- Novo Nordisk
Diabetes in Social Media
- Why We Chose to Use a Closed Loop System.
- My Pancreas Lives in an Altoids Box: Building a DYI Closed Loop Artificial Pancreas System.
- Give Your Insulin Time to Work and What Carbs Have to Do With It.
- What Not To Say To A Type-1 Parent.
- 17 Pictures That Show What Living With Diabetes Is Actually Like.
- If you have diabetes, Iâ€™m writing this for you ...
- Diabetes Anniversary: Not Drowning But Waving.
- Week 1 With My FreeStyle Libre.
- CGMs for Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes are Officially Awesome.
- Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch to Display Dexcom CGM Data in 2018.
- The One About Animas.
- Low Incidence of End-Stage Renal Disease in Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Followed for Up to 42 Years.
- Acceptability of Implantable Continuous Glucose Monitoring Sensor.
- Factors Associated with C-peptide Levels after Diagnosis in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Markers influencing the presence of partial clinical remission in patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- 12-Week 24/7 Ambulatory Artificial Pancreas With Weekly Adaptation of Insulin Delivery Settings: Effect on Hemoglobin A1c and Hypoglycemia.
- Type 1 Diabetes and Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia Are Associated with Reduced Brain Gray Matter Volumes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early-Life Nutritional Factors and Mucosal Immunity in the Development of Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Coxsackievirus B4 as a Causative Agent of Diabetes Mellitus Type 1: Is There a Role of Inefficiently Treated Drinking Water and Sewage in Virus Spreading?
- Physical Activity Reduces Risk of Premature Mortality in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes With and Without Kidney Disease.
- Association of Insulin Pump Therapy vs Insulin Injection Therapy With Severe Hypoglycemia, Ketoacidosis, and Glycemic Control Among Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes. See also Pump May Beat Shots for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and safety of pramlintide injection adjunct to insulin therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- The effects of add-on exenatide to insulin on glycemic variability and hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- A Personalized Week-to-Week Updating Algorithm to Improve Continuous Glucose Monitoring Performance.
- Access to a youth-specific service for young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus is associated with decreased hospital length of stay for diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Managing diabetes at high altitude: personal experience with support from a Multidisciplinary Physical Activity and Diabetes Clinic. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Use of a Novel, Remotely Connected Diabetes Management System Is Associated with Increased Treatment Satisfaction, Reduced Diabetes Distress, and Improved Glycemic Control in Individuals with Insulin-Treated Diabetes: First Results from the Personal Diabetes Management Study.
- The Use of Mobile Applications Among Adults with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the Second MILES-Australia (MILES-2) Study.
- The burden of severe hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- We've updated our list of gluten free candy in time for Halloween.
- Co-occurrence of Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease Autoimmunity.
- The Role of an IgA/IgG-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Point-of-Care Test in Predicting Persistent Villous Atrophy in Patients With Celiac Disease on a Gluten-Free Diet.
- Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet.
- Mesalazine treatment in organotypic culture of celiac patients: Comparative study with gluten free diet.
- Where There's Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease May Follow.
- Consumers with celiac craving quality and nutrition.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- AACE Celebrates Passage of the National Clinical Care Commission Act.
- Mum claims lives are in danger because schools are not fully aware of diabetes risks.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Artificial Pancreas performs well in clinical trial.
- Patients face tough choices when a healthcare provider calls it quits.
- Lenny Kravitz rocked the Carousel Ball to $1.65 million raised for Type 1 diabetes.
- Maharashtra: 24 young adults suffering from Type 1 diabetes scale state's highest peak.
- No More Finger Prick. New Technology May Help with Diabetes Management.
- Will High-Tech Skin Put an End to Needle Sticks for Diabetes?
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday October 18, 2017 04:25:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.