- The Compassionate Use Project seeks to convince Eli Lilly to continue production of animal source insulin.
- The lead article in the October 1998 issue of Diabetes Interview magazine is entitled "Parting Causes Great Sorrow: Beef-Pork Insulin Users Prepare to Switch." You can read the full article on their web site.
- There are almost 3,600 people in the Friends database, with over 90 new friends added in the last month. If you're new to diabetes, you can find an experienced friend to help you. If you're experienced, please take a moment to find a friend who is new to diabetes and offer your support.
- The Sibling Support Project at the University of Cincinnati Children's Hospital is a national program dedicated to the interests of brothers and sisters of people with special health and developmental needs.
- The October 1998 issue of Diabetes Care includes several important articles:
- Effect of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion With Lisrpo on Hepatic Responsiveness to Glucagon in Type 1 Diabetes concludes that use of lispro in pumps leads to increased sensitivity of the liver to glucagon and therefore could potentially reduce the risk of severe hypoglycemia. (Diabetes Care 21:1627-1631, 1998)
- Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Insulin Lispro on Severe Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes concludes that use of lispro insulin instead of Regular insulin in patients who are intensively treated reduces the risk of severe hypoglycemia (defined as coma or requirement for glucagon or IV glucose). (Diabetes Care 21:1726-1731, 1998)
- Effect of Bacille Calmette-Guérin Vaccination on C-Peptide Secretion in Children Newly Diagnosed with IDDM concludes that use the BCG vaccine does not alter the progressive decline in C-peptide levels or the clinical course of diabetes in newly diagnosed kids. (Diabetes Care 21:1691-1693, 1998)
- Improved Glycemic Control in Intensively Treated Type 1 Diabetic Patients Using Blood Glucose Meters With Storage Capability and Computer-Assisted Analyses concludes that use of a blood glucose meter with a memory, in conjunction with computerized diabetes management tools, can lead to improved glycemic control in adults. A1c levels dropped from an average of 7.0% before use to 6.3% after use of a meter with memory and computerized tools. (Diabetes Care 21:1694-1698, 1998)
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) now has its complete series of diabetes publications available on-line:
- Acarbose (Precose)
- Alternative Therapies for Diabetes
- Devices To Take Insulin
- Diabetes: Clearer Names and a Lower Number for Diagnosis
- Diabetes Control and Complications Trial
- Diabetes Dictionary
- Diabetes in African Americans
- Diabetes in Hispanic Americans
- Diabetes Nutrition Publications Series
- Diabetes Overview
- Diabetes Recipes and Cookbooks
- Diabetic Eye Disease
- Diabetic Neuropathy: The Nerve Damage of Diabetes
- Diabetes Research and Training Center's Demonstration and Education Divisions
- Do Your Level Best
- End-Stage Renal Disease
- Financial Help for Diabetes Care
- Foot Care Kit for Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
- Humalog (Insulin Lispro)
- Insuficiencia Renal Crónica Terminal: Elección del tratamiento que le conviene a usted
- Insulin-Dependent Diabetes
- Kidney Disease of Diabetes
- Medicines for People with Diabetes
- Metformin (Glucophage)
- Noninsulin-Dependent Diabetes
- Noninvasive Blood Glucose Monitors
- Pancreatic Islet Cell Transplantation
- The Pima Indians: Pathfinders for Health
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor about Blood Sugar Control
- Bibliographic Searches on Diabetes
- AADE reports Medicare & DMERCs Release Guidelines; Hospital Programs Impacted As ADA Recognition To Be Required.
- Sick Day Management and cold medication instructions for people with diabetes is provided by the McKinley Health Center, the health service for more than 36,000 students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- JDF Government Relations Update brings us up to date on the appropriations bills making their way through Congres and shares Senator Pete Domenici's speech about diabetes and the Walk For A Cure. (Posted 3 October 1998)
- Información para personas con Diabetes is a Spanish-language website with information about diabetes and links to many other Spanish-language sites.
- O Instituto de Apoio ao Diabético fornece informações em Português sobre diabetes no Brasil e no mundo. (The Diabetes Support Institute provides Portuguese-language information about diabetes in Brazil and the world.)
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Diabetes to School by Kim Gosselin, now in its second edition, with Ten Tips for Teachers and Kids Quiz.
Watch for the indicator throughout the children with DIABETES pages. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at children with DIABETES.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:29
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.