John Ratzenberger, famous from his role as Cliff Clavin in television's Cheers, the voice of Hamm in the movie Toy Story, and the voice of P.T. Flea in A Bug's Life, joins Children with Diabetes as Chairman of the Children with Diabetes Foundation. As the parent of a child with diabetes, John understands the importance of the mission of Children with Diabetes. From his position as National Walk Chairman for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, John helped raise millions of dollars for diabetes research. As Chairman, John will help Children with Diabetes as it grows to take on new and exciting projects. John recently founded the Ratzenberger Diabetes Research Fund to raise money for an internet network to connect diabetes researchers and clinicians worldwide.
- Missy is 16 and uses an insulin pump.
- Teens ages 14-21 who play interscholastic, intercollegiate, or intramural tennis and who have Type 1 diabetes are eligible for the $5,000 Donnelly Awards Scholarship. Application deadline is May 1, 1999.
- On February 16, 1999, Dr. Stuart Brink joined us for a special chat session about control in teens. If you missed the chat, you can read the transcript.
- A national magazine is doing an article on children with Type 2 diabetes who under the age of 10. If you have a child in this situation and are interested in being interviewed for the article, please e-mail your name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will forward your name and phone number to the author, who will contact you.
- Camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 1999 camping season include:
- Elliott P. Joslin Camp and the Joslin Winter Camp in Charlton, Massachusetts.
- Triangle D, celebrating 49 years of camping, offers children with diabetes in northern Illinois a summer camping experience.
- Study hints that vitamin D supplementation was associated with a decreased risk of Type 1 diabetes. [Diabetologia (1999) 42: 51-54]
- A study found an increased frequency of cord blood islet autoantibodies in kids who later developed Type 1 diabetes, suggesting that the Type 1 diabetes process could already be initiated in utero. [Diabetologia (1999) 42: 181-187]
- Autoantibodies associated with Type 1 diabetes mellitus persist after diagnosis in children. [Diabetologia (1998) 41: 1293-1297]
- Lilly Launches Humulin 70/30, Humulin N, and Humulog Pens.
- The Diabetes Adventure tells the story of Dave Nevins and how exercise helps him to control his diabetes.
- Anillo Hispano de la Diabetes is a new web ring for Spanish-language websites about diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked visitors how often they met with a dietitian as part of their diabetes care. This week's poll asks teens and adults how often they check their blood sugar before they drive.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Outsmarting Diabetes: A Dynamic Approach for Reducing the Effects of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by Richard S. Beaser, M.D. with the staff at the Joslin Diabetes Center.
Watch for the indicator throughout the children with DIABETES pages. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at children with DIABETES.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday August 29, 2002 20:59:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.