Register now for our "It's a New Day in Diabetes" Conference and Expo, to be held from July 18-22, 2001 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
Join Olympic Gold Medalist Gary Hall, Jr., in opening the Exhibit Hall in the Coronado Ballroom on Wednesday evening from 5:30 - 9:00pm. Gary will meet the kids individually (yes, and the parents, too), pose for photos, and hand out autographed posters. It's a tremendous opportunity to come face to face with an Olympic champion who tames his diabetes daily to be one of the best swimmers in the world.
- Disetronic has released a safety notice for users of H-TRON an H-TRONplus insulin pumps. Some users have reported receiving too much insulin when their pump was exposed to water, though all these pumps had cracks in the case. They also have an update to the H-TRON and H-TRONplus manual and a question and answer page about this issue.
- Texas Taylor Crowe is 7 1/2 and is the only one with diabetes at her school.
- Casey is 12 and was diagnosed right before Christmas 2000.
- Rufus, the bear with diabetes, is traveling around the United States and the world. We have updated reports from our three Rufus ambassadors.
- Camps for kids with diabetes with updated schedules for 2001 include:
- Bearskin Meadow Camp includes a family camp for younger kids and a young adults session.
- Camp DAVI in the US Virgin Islands offers SCUBA diving for adults with diabetes, ages 17 and up.
- Camp Jordan, hosted by Makemie Woods in Barhamsville VA (near Williamsburg VA), is for kids with diabetes.
- The Rainbow Club is a summer day camp for kids in Old Greenwich, Connecticut.
- Join us for a special chat about Diabetes and a Vegetarian Diet, hosted by Betty Brackenridge, on Monday, March 19th at 9pm Eastern in the Food Matters Room.
- Read the transcript of our Virtual Supprt Group: Type 1 Diabetes chat held on Wednesday, March 14th.
- LifeScan is offering diabetes summer camp scholarships.
- We review the new ONE TOUCH Ultra meter, which takes only 5 seconds to produce a reading.
- Our chart on Test Strip Temperature Ranges can help you determine which test strip, and therefore which blood glucose meter, best meets your needs.
- Insulin Detemir May Provide More Predictable Glucose Levels Than NPH Insulin. (Free Medscape membership required) See also, Comparison of the soluble basal insulin analog insulin detemir with NPH insulin: a randomized open crossover trial in type 1 diabetic subjects on basal-bolus therapy.
- Study recommends that dilated eye exams and retinal photography be part of routine management of type 1 diabetes during the first five years (Diabetes Care 24:522-526, 2001; no PubMed reference at this time). However, Diabetes Care published an editorial calling into question the conclusions and recommendations of this study.
- Diabetes And Multiple Sclerosis Patients Share Common Autoantigens. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Study reports on needle-type dual microsensor for the simultaneous monitoring of glucose and insulin.
- Diabetes Management in the 21st Century: Multiple Therapeutic Options for Achieving Glycemic Control is an online CME course. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Paper outlines Management of Celiac Disease.
- The American Diabetes Association has information about Starlix, a new oral diabetes medication.
- Novo Nordisk highlights the therapeutic value of insulin aspart.
- Study examined compliance in adolescents.
- Simple Tests Screen for Peripheral Neuropathy in Diabetic Patients. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Pediatrics, Hypoglycemia from Emergency Medicine presents medical information about treating non-insulin therapy hypoglycemia in children.
- Pediatrics, Diabetic Ketoacidosis from Emergency Medicine presents medical information about treating DKA in kids.
- The US Postal Service unveiled its new diabetes awareness stamp at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston on Friday, March 16. See also the following reports:
- American Diabetes Association Participates in Launch of Nation's First Diabetes Awareness Commemorative Stamp.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International Takes Part in First-Day Ceremony and Makes Research Announcement on Diabetes.
- The Joslin Diabetes Center was the scene for the unveiling of the new diabetes awareness stamp.
- ThemeStream has an interesting collection of articles about diabetes.
- diabetes-kids.de is a German language web site for kids with diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers how often they or their child have received a retinal photograph as part of their diabetes eye care.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Sister Rose Has Diabetes by Monica Driscoll Beatty
- The list of New Friends added to our Friends Database is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:35
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.