Of Continuing Interest
Join us in Pasadena, California, July 17-21, as hundreds of CWD families join in the 3rd annual conference, Friends For Life: Pasadena 2002. There will be educational sessions for everyone, young and old, whether you are a child or adult with type 1 diabetes, a family member, or a diabetes health care provider. Best of all, enjoy watching the children participate in conference sessions and some very cool social events, interacting, learning, and having fun with other children who face the same challenges each and every day. Find out more!
New This Week
- Flying with Diabetes offers advice and guidance to travelers who will be flying this holiday season.
- In the past month, over 100 people have added their names to our Friends database. If you're newly diagnosed and need some help or are looking to offer your wisdom to others, take a moment to search for a friend.
- We have two holiday-related chat sessions in the next two weeks:
- Holiday Meal Planning with Mike Schurig on Wednesday, December 12th at 9pm Eastern in the Holiday Meal Planning room.
- Holiday Feelings with Dr. Jill Weissberg-Benchell, on Monday, December 17th at 9pm Eastern in the Holiday Feelings Room.
- Looking for a stocking stuffer? We recommend the Marissa Bear that supports the Children with Diabetes Foundation fund research into a cure.
- LifeScan has added holiday related eCards to its collection of diabetes-related eCards.
- The Children with Diabetes Foundation reports on recently funded research into a cure.
- CDC says no link between vaccinations and type 1 diabetes. See also Diabetes And Vaccinations and Childhood vaccinations, vaccination timing, and risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- This month's issue of the Insulin-FreeTIMES Magazine has articles about Evolution of Islet Transplantation, Transplanting Encapsulated Pig Islets, and Using Human Embryonic Stem Cells to Make Islets for Transplantation.
- Adeno-associated virus vector-mediated IL-10 gene delivery prevents type 1 diabetes in NOD mice.
- Effect of modified diabetic splenocytes on mice injected with splenocytes from multiple low-dose streptozotocin diabetic donors.
- Beneficial effects of metformin in normoglycemic morbidly obese adolescents.
- Population-based survey and analysis of trends in the prevalence of diabetic nephropathy in Type 1 diabetes.
- The University of Cincinnati has received a $6 million federal grant that will make it one of four major centers nationwide to delve more deeply into the genetic triggers of diabetes.
- Protein kinase C and the development of diabetic vascular complications.
- Normalization of pregnancy outcome in pregestational diabetes through functional insulin treatment and modular out-patient education adapted for pregnancy.
- Use of antihypertensive medications in pregnancy and the risk of adverse perinatal outcomes.
- Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications - I is an online course from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Disentangling the effects of current age, onset age, and disease duration: parent and child attitudes toward diabetes as an exemplar.
- TheraSense Receives FDA Clearance for Labeling Changes to FreeStyle Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
- Insulin pump therapy and rapid acting insulin: what have we learned?
- A Nonlinear Effect of Hyperglycemia and Current Cigarette Smoking Are Major Determinants of the Onset of Microalbuminuria in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Endocrinology & Diabetes Unit at British Columbia's Children's Hospital in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has placed all of their diabetes patient handouts on their web site.
- Glycemic control with Humalog Mix25 in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with glyburide.
- 13-year-old copes with juvenile diabetes.
- Digital insulin pump attached to infant.
- Robinson 1st-grade class pitches in to help pupil with juvenile diabetes.
- Read the transcript of a recent chat with Rita and Rachel, Miami Islet Transplant Recipients.
- Juvenile Diabetes Brings Family Together Through Adoption, by US Senator Larry Craig, tells of his meeting a family who adopted a girl from Russia who has diabetes.
- Orioles' pitcher goes extra mile with York fan.
- JDRF Canada has an updated web site.
- The William Alanson White Institute in New York offers psychosocial support to teens and kids with diabetes.
- Insulin Forum Switzerland is an organization of people with diabetes in Switzerland who are campaigning for an equal choice of animal insulin products. Also available in English.
- Deep Dark Hot Chocolate really warms you up. Made with Splenda.
- The International Sweeteners Association is a non-profit organisation that represents manufacturers and industrial users of low-calorie sweeteners in the preparation of low-calorie foods, beverages and table-top sweeteners.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they've ever changed diabetes teams. This week's poll asks readers how often they do middle of the night blood tests.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Dinosaur Tamer and Other Stories for Children with Diabetes by Marcia Levine Mazur, Peter Banks and Andrew Keegan.
- Our page about Retinopathy is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.