Of Continuing Interest
Join us in Pasadena, California, July 17-21, as hundreds of CWD families join in the 3rd annual conference, Friends For Life: Pasadena 2002. There will be educational sessions for everyone, young and old, whether you are a child or adult with type 1 diabetes, a family member, or a diabetes health care provider. Best of all, enjoy watching the children participate in conference sessions and some very cool social events, interacting, learning, and having fun with other children who face the same challenges each and every day. Find out more!
New This Week
- The Children with Diabetes Foundation will again sponsor an international ambassador team for the Friends for Life conference in Pasadena. Applications must be received by March 15, 2002.
- In February 2002, the Diabetes Team received over 300 questions and published answers to 227, bringing the total number of published questions and answers to 9,501.
- Laura lives in Cornwall, England.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 2002 camping season include:
- Camp Glyndon in Marlyand provides a camping experience not only for kids with diabetes, but for their families too!
- Camp Kushtaka is in Cooper Landing, Alaska.
- Camp Needlepoint and Camp Daypoint offer incredible adventures for kids in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Gales Creek, in Lake Oswego, Oregon, is located on 36 acres of beautiful woodland.
- Suzi Boyden is a graduate student at Georgia Tech in Atlanta and is working on a Diabetic PDA application for her thesis.
- Join us for a special LifeScan chat with Clare Rosenfeld on getting involved: How to be a diabetes champion, to be held on Wednesday, March 6th at 9pm Eastern in the LifeScan Chat room.
- Read the transcripts from last week's two special chats:
- LifeScan Chat with Gary Hall, Jr. talking about diabetes and athletics.
- Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life with Laura Billetdeaux and Jeff Hitchcock.
- The February 2002 issue of the Insulin-FreeTIMES Magazine is now available online.
- We review the BD Genie lancet.
- PumpWear, which makes products for kids to hold an insulin pump, has new pump accessories in its online store.
- The effect of subclinical hypothyroidism on metabolic control in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Successful Prospective Prediction of Type 1 Diabetes in Schoolchildren Through Multiple Defined Autoantibodies.
- Islet autoantibodies, nationality and gender: a multinational screening study in first-degree relatives of patients with Type I diabetes.
- Risk Indicators Predictive for Severe Hypoglycemia During the First Trimester of Type 1 Diabetic Pregnancy.
- Molecular Detection of Circulating beta-Cells After Islet Transplantation.
- Tolerance to islet antigens and prevention from diabetes induced by limited apoptosis of pancreatic Beta cells.
- Considerations for successful transplantation of encapsulated pancreatic islets.
- Infant Immunizations Not Shown to Be Harmful to Children's Immune Systems.
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibiting therapy is associated with lower vitreous vascular endothelial growth factor concentrations in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
- Kidney function and glomerulopathy over 8 years in young patients with Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria.
- Dietary Fat and Meat Intake in Relation to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Men.
- Lifetime Costs of Complications Resulting From Type 2 Diabetes in the U.S.
- First cases of type 2 diabetes found in white UK teenagers.
- Oral Diabetes Drug Shows Promise In Preventing Miscarriage In Common Infertility Disorder.
- Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion at 25 Years: Evidence base for the expanding use of insulin pump therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- Comparison of Insulin Aspart With Buffered Regular Insulin and Insulin Lispro in Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion. See also NovoLog(R) Rapid-Acting Insulin Analog Offers Good Glycemic Control In Pump Therapy For Type 1 Diabetes.
- Theophylline Improves Hypoglycemia Unawareness in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Intensive Lifestyle Changes Are Necessary to Improve Insulin Sensitivity.
- The 28th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes will be held in Graz, Austria, from September 18th - 21st, 2002.
- Austrailia and United States working on diabetes vaccine.
- Two Penn seniors have made it their mission to provide assistance to diabetic children in Ecuador.
- Funding for UK study of type 2 diabetes in kids in jeopardy.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the age of their main blood glucose meter. This week's poll asks readers their opinion about potential innovations in glucose monitoring.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the FreeStyle blood glucose kit, now free with the purchase of only 100 FreeStyle test strips. The FreeStyle allows you to use alternative sites for blood glucose monitoring.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Needles: A Memoir of Growing Up With Diabetes by Andie Dominick.
- Our page about Insulin is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday August 29, 2002 20:59:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.