- Come to the Pasadena 2002 conference and try a pump! Three pump companies, Animas, Disetronic, and Medtronic MiniMed, will be offering this great opportunity for potential would-be pumpers. Anyone interested in wearing a pump (with saline) may do so Thursday and Friday at the conference. A prescription from your physician is required and must include the wording "insulin pump trial with saline."
- Our Quilt For Life is getting press reports, including Diabetic duo inspire square for quilt. Please spread the word about the quilt to your diabetes team and other families you know who have children with diabetes. The more quilt squares we have, the greater the impact we will have.
- We're running a survey to determine the interest level for holding additional Children with Diabetes conferences.
- Jessica is nine years old and wears a pump.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 2002 camping season include:
- Camp Adam Fisher in South Carolina is for campers with diabetes ages 7 to 17, as well as brothers, sisters, and friends.
- Camp Coqui is located in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina.
- Camp Fun in the Sun is the only diabetes oriented camp in the Inland Northwest.
- Camp Huronda is a camp for kids with diabetes at Lake Waseosa near Huntsville, Ontario, Canada.
- Camp Jean Nelson offers "the week that lasts a lifetime" to kids in Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
- Camp Jordan, hosted by Makemie Woods in Barhamsville VA (near Williamsburg VA), is for kids with diabetes.
- Camp Kakhamela offers kids and families in British Columbia a wonderful camping experience.
- Camp Stix an independent, community based summer camp located in Northeastern Washington, for children and teens with diabetes throughout the Northwest.
- Camp Sugarbugs offers a family camping experience for kids in Tennessee.
- Camp Wana Kura is a day camp for young kids with diabetes near San Diego.
- Diabetes in Children covers diagnosis and management of diabetes in kids for health care professionals and includes excellent photographs of acanthosis nigricans, often found in kids with type 2 diabetes.
- Women With Diabetes - Specific Health Issues is part of the Diabetes Care and Education web site.
- The Egyptian Diabetes Association is the national diabetes caring organization in Egypt.
- Join Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux for a one-hour chat about the Pasadena 2002 Conference on Tuesday, April 16th at 9pm Eastern in the Pasadena 2002 chat room.
- Is coeliac disease more prevalent in young adults with coexisting Type 1 diabetes mellitus and autoimmune thyroid disease compared with those with Type 1 diabetes mellitus alone?
- Psychomotor development in the children of mothers with type 1 diabetes mellitus or gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Congenital anomalies in the offspring of women with Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Kidney function and glomerulopathy over 8 years in young patients with Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria.
- Islet autoantibodies, nationality and gender: a multinational screening study in first-degree relatives of patients with Type I diabetes..
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibiting therapy is associated with lower vitreous vascular endothelial growth factor concentrations in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
- INGAP As A Cure For Diabetes provides a research history of INGAP and islet regeneration and reviews plans for future development.
- Adherence to prescribed oral hypoglycaemic medication in a population of patients with Type 2 diabetes: a retrospective cohort study.
- Risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in celiac disease.
- Cellular Basis of Diabetic Nephropathy. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Elimination of maternally transmitted autoantibodies prevents diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice.
- Post-prandial glucose excursions following four methods of bolus insulin administration in subjects with Type 1 diabetes.
- Treatment with the insulin analogue lispro in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus: evaluation over a 3-year period.
- Splitting evening insulin treatment reduces nocturnal hypoglycemia risk in type 1 diabetes.
- Drinking perceptions and management strategies of college students with diabetes.
- Eating disorders in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- The April 2002 issue of Diabetes Forecast has an article on Senior Pumpers.
- Factors associated with change in diabetes knowledge from childhood to adolescence.
- The Journal of the American Medical Association has a patient handout about celiac disease.
- Metformin therapy throughout pregnancy reduces the development of gestational diabetes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Justice Department Sues SFX Entertainment For Violating The Americans With Disabilities Act And Discriminating Against Insulin-using Diabetics.
- Dealing with diabetes, Gardiner girl seeks to live normal life.
- Dale Obbie wants to climb the Adirondacks with his dad - and he won't let a "wretched disease" stop him.
- Run may raise more dollars for diabetes.
- Insulin pump helps Verplank.
- Orioles pitcher Jason Johnson uses insulin pump.
- Cooks against diabetes bid.
- Government pushing us out says Diatranz.
- Government must answer the hard biotech questions.
- The Ultimate Walk to Cure Diabetes is a journey across the Antarctic to raise money to accelerate research for the cure of diabetes. See also Will Cross, Adventurer.
- Eight-year-old girls dies of type 1 diabetes while under care of alternative medicine doctor who denied she had diabetes. See also Mother testifies she trusted naturopath in diabetic daughter's care.
- Last week's poll asked readers who did regular nighttime blood glucose tests. This week's poll asks readers how they dispose of sharps at home.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the A1cNow Hemoglobin A1c Test, the first ever prescription at home test for HbA1c. Act now and receive a $1.00 discount off the purchase price of the single pack or a $2.00 discount off the two pack!
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Carbohydrate Counting Cookbook by Tami Ross, RD, CDE and Patti Geil, RD, CDE.
- Our page about NovoLog is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday August 29, 2002 20:59:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.