September 27-29, 2002
Crystal Mountain Resort
January 3-5, 2003
Sheraton El Conquistador Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Our Quilt for Life continues to grow, with 278 quilts online. You can now view quilts in the Online Gallery by quilt number, last name, and first name, to make it easier to find a quilt for someone you know. If you have not yet made a quilt square, please do so. We need hundreds more squares to really show the impact of type 1 diabetes.
- The Diabetes Research Institute Foundation is seeking original artwork from kids for use in holiday cards. First prize is a $200 scholarship toward the CWD conference next year. See also Holiday Card Contest.
- You can once again purchase Children with Diabetes polo shirts and event-related t-shirts online at our CWD Shirt Store.
- Jim McCord is on his cross-country run from San Diego to Washington, D.C. to call attention to the need for increased federal funding for diabetes research. You can track his progress online or call 859-512-1550 for up-to-the-minute schedule information so you can meet Jim as he runs through your city.
New This Week
- The International Diabetes Youth Ambassadors are a group open to all young people worldwide who desire to make positive change in the lives of people with diabetes, as well as help find a cure for diabetes. Children With Diabetes offers us the unique opportunity to share information about how diabetes is handled around the world. While much of this information is already shared through the outstanding educational information offered on the Children With Diabetes site, this on-line group will give kids and teens a chance to communicate as a team. Our focus will be on educating each other and acting as a support network and inspiration for those kids who might want to get involved, but don't know where to start. Please write in, share your story, and "Join Us" in the ground breaking developement of this group!
- Jim McCord, who is running cross-country from San Diego to Washington, D.C. to call attention to the need for increased federal funding for diabetes research, will be east of St. Louis in Illinois running on Route 15 East to Mt. Vernon, Illinois as of the morning of Wednesday, August 28th. From there he heads to Evansville, Indiana. If you live near this route, please take the time to meet up with Jim and offer him encouragement (or a home-cooked meal). Jim can be reached via e-mail at email@example.com via cell phone at (859) 512-1550.
- FIFTY-50 Pharmacy joins us as the sponsors of the Kids Section.
- Read the transcript of last week's Back to School chat with Crystal Jackson.
- The Congenital Hyperinsulinism Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an excellent resource on hypoglycemia in infants and children.
- DiabetesGenes.org provides information on Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY), Renal Cysts and Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Rare Types of Diabetes.
- We've updated our mirror of Rick Mendosa's Online Diabetes Resources.
- Lack of association between receipt of conjugate haemophilus influenzae type B vaccine (HbOC) in infancy and risk of type 1 (juvenile onset) diabetes: long term follow-up of the HbOC efficacy trial cohort. See also our page about diabetes and immunizations.
- New trends in the treatment of diabetic nephropathy in children..
- Thyroid autoimmunity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a multicenter survey.
- Distribution of HbA(1c) levels for children and young adults in the U.S.: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
- Health-related quality of life in type 1 diabetes without or with symptoms of long-term complications.
- UK's National Institute for Clinical Excellence recommends that Lantus should be available as a treatment option for people with type 1 diabetes. For more information, see our page about Lantus.
- Back to school with Diabetes.
- Easier Monitoring Of Diabetes Is Focus Of Symposium.
- Lawsuit accuses educator of battery in case where assistant principal pulled insulin pump away from student.
- From Pain to Compassion by Barry S. Sternlicht, chief executive of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, recounts his son's diagnosis. (Free registration required)
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have 504 plans prepared for their child. This week's poll asks readers helps adjust the insulin regimen for themselves or their child.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the A1cNow Hemoglobin A1c Test, the first ever prescription at home test for HbA1c. Act now and receive a $1.00 discount off the purchase price of the single pack or a $2.00 discount off the two pack!
- The Featured Book of the Week is I'm Tougher than Diabetes by Alden R. Carter.
- Our page on Body Weight and Health Risk is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:57
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.