January 3-5, 2003
Sheraton El Conquistador Resort
July 9-12, 2003
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sposored by TheraSense.
- The T.H.O.R. Foundation is offering scholarships to the Friends for Life 2003 Annual Conference and Expo. The application deadline is December 31, 2002. Apply today, and be sure to include information about what you are doing related to diabetes advocacy, as that is a big part of their selection process.
- Make plans now to join us for the 2003-2004 Cruise Into the New Year with CWD!
New This Week
- Rufus and Ruby have returned from their trip to space and share the experience of their greatest adventure.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 2003 camping season include:
- Camp Carowanis, a bilingual summer camp for diabetic boys and girls ages 8 to 15 in Mont-Royal, Quebec, Canada. (Version Franšaise)
- We've published the results of our survey about insulin and insulin device use in schools.
- High school students with diabetes seeking special accommodations when taking standardized tests (PSAT, SAT, and ACT) can learn more at the web sites of the two testing organizations:
- ACT Policy for Documentation to Support Requests for Testing Accommodations on the ACT Assessment
- How do I become approved for accommodations on College Board tests?
- We review Smart Pumping, a new book from the ADA about insulin pump therapy.
- Sillwee Wobbert, Diabetes and José at School and Play is a new coloring book for kids with diabetes.
- FDA Clears A1cNow Home Glycated Hemoglobin Test For Diabetics.
- SpectRx, Inc. to Market FDA-Cleared, Over-the-Counter A1c Test for People with Diabetes.
- KidTags, Inc. makes a small, easily attachable identification tag that displays only the child's photo and your critical phone numbers.
- InsulinDetemir.com offers information about Novo Nordisk's long-acting insulin analog. Be sure to click "Yes" when asked if you are a health care professional.
- The Rise of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes in the 20th Century (free Medscape membership required).
- Prospective study of enteroviral infections and development of beta-cell autoimmunity. Diabetes autoimmunity study in the young (DAISY).
- Severe clinical onset of diabetes and increased prevalence of other autoimmune diseases in children with coeliac disease diagnosed before diabetes mellitus.
- Frequency of coeliac disease in Hungarian children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Anti-CD38 autoantibodies: Characterisation in new-onset Type I diabetes and latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult (LADA) and comparison with other islet autoantibodies.
- IA-2 autoantibodies predict impending Type I diabetes in siblings of patients.
- First-phase insulin response in young healthy children at genetic and immunological risk for Type I diabetes.
- Small intestinal glucose absorption and duodenal motility in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Glomerular hemodynamics and the renin-angiotensin system in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Value of a screening algorithm for celiac disease using tissue transglutaminase antibodies as first level in a population-based study. See also New Screening Recommendations for Celiac Disease (free Medscape membership required).
- Hypertransaminasemia in pediatric celiac disease patients and its prevalence as a diagnostic clue.
- Insulin injection regimens and metabolic control in an international survey of adolescents with type 1 diabetes over 3 years: results from the Hvidore study group.
- President Signs Historic Bill for Diabetes Research.
- We mourn the passing of Gary Hempleman, who often shared his experiences and wisdom with everyone in our chat rooms.
- Injuries, diabetes don't deter Pitt Defensive Tackle.
- Local women train for marathon to fight diabetes.
- Rejection gene for pig organs blocked.
- Cut school nurses, it's pupils who bleed.
- Risky kids' diet pills sold on Net. See also our section on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in Diabetes.
- Diabetes is the third main cause of death in Brunei Darussalam.
- Japanese firm unveils world's smallest needle.
- Sontra Medical Corporation was recently awarded a patent for a technology that can be used for a continuous glucose monitoring system.
- Try Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they clean their fingers before doing a blood glucose test. This week's poll asks our readers if they or their child were in DKA at time of diagnosis.
- Make the Holiday special with the FreeStyle Tracker System from TheraSense and Diabetic Express. The FreeStyle Tracker System Kit includes a FreeStyle Blood Glucose Module, a Handspring Visor Pro hand held computer, the FreeStyle Tracker Software program and ancillary supplies to get you started (lancing devices, lancets, test strips, control solution, etc.)! This item includes a $75.00 mail-in rebate. Regular Price is $295.99. Our Price $285.95. Over a $10 savings! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of TheraSense products including the FreeStyle Tracker and over 900 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Care for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers: A Reassuring Guide by Jean Betschart, C.R.N.P., C.D.E.
- Flying with Diabetes is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.