Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- Make plans now to join us for the 2003-2004 Cruise Into the New Year with CWD! Registration deadline is February 1, 2003.
- The THOR Foundation is offering scholarships for families to attend our Orlando 2003: Friends for Life summer conference. The application deadline is March 31, 2003. Apply now!
New This Week
- Are you interested in the latest in diabetes care products, or special offers on diabetes care items? If so, sign up for our Product Information mailing list. We make this list available only to selected companies to use, but never give out the e-mail addresses on the list.
- Colleen is 12 and has diabetes since she was 6.
- Kelsey is 10 and was diagnosed right after her fourth birthday.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 2003 camping season include:
- Camp Clara Barton provides summer camping, a coed Adventure Camp for high school students with diabetes, and year-round weekend programs for youth with diabetes, families and friends.
- Camp Ivy is a day camp in Hampton, Georgia.
- Camp Setebaid is a camp for kids 8 to 17 in Pennsylvania.
- Harrisburg Diabetic Youth Camp is a camp for kids in north central Pennsylvania
- Setebaid Family Retreat offers a weekend camping experience for families.
- Setebaid Teen Retreats offer winter and summer retreats for teens in Pennsylvania
- Join Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux for a special chat about our Friends for Life: Orlando 2003 Conference. The chat begins at 9pm Eastern on Thursday, January 30th in the Orlando 2003 chat room.
- We're running a needs assessment survey about diabetes in Los Angeles County for a Social Work graduate student at UCLA.
- Diabetes Mentor by Vigora is a simple diabetes management package, available for both PC's running Microsoft Windows and the Macintosh.
- Ischaemic heart disease, Type 1 diabetes, and cow milk A1 beta-casein. See also Diabetes, heart risk linked to NZ milk.
- Mortality From Cerebrovascular Disease in a Cohort of 23 000 Patients With Insulin-Treated Diabetes. See also Young adults with insulin-treated diabetes have elevated stroke risk.
- Autonomic neuropathy is associated with increased cardiovascular risk factors: the EURODIAB IDDM Complications Study.
- Amelioration of Sensory Nerve Dysfunction by C-Peptide in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Autoimmune islet destruction in spontaneous type 1 diabetes is not beta-cell exclusive. See also Scientists find biomarkers in bloodstream indicating risk of Type 1 diabetes.
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of pregnancy in women with gestational hyperglycaemia with and without antibodies to beta-cell antigens. See also Autoantibody Positive Gestational Hyperglycaemic Women Need Insulin More Often.
- Prevention strategies for type 1 diabetes mellitus: current status and future directions.
- Simultaneous pancreas-kidney and pancreas transplantation.
- Dialysis, kidney transplantation, or pancreas transplantation for patients with diabetes mellitus and renal failure: a decision analysis of treatment options.
- Liver converted to pancreas.
- Enhancement of Endothelial Function by Pregnancy.
- The Incidence of Retinopathy 10 Years After Diagnosis in Young Adult People With Diabetes.
- A Prospective Study of Self-Reported Sleep Duration and Incident Diabetes in Women.
- Similar Genetic Features and Different Islet Cell Autoantibody Pattern of Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) Compared With Adult-Onset Type 1 Diabetes With Rapid Progression.
- Serum ACE Predicts Severe Hypoglycemia in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes .
- The incidence of hypoglycaemia in children with type 1 diabetes and treated asthma.
- Secular trends in growth in diabetes: are we winning?
- Contraindications to the use of metformin.
- Importance of timing of risk factors for cerebral oedema during therapy for diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Renal and Metabolic Effects of Insulin Lispro in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects With Overt Nephropathy.
- Target-Seeking Behavior of Plasma Glucose With Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Short-Term, Delayed, and Working Memory Are Impaired During Hypoglycemia in Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Psychologic and physiologic effects of dieting in adolescents. See also full text at Medscape (free registration required).
- Perioperative management of diabetes.
- Diabetes: time for a new regime? reviews the financial success of diabetes medications and the changes that loss of patent protection may bring.
- Child diabetes registry bill proceeds. See also State of Wyoming House Bill 60: Pediatric diabetes registry.
- Diabetic children thrive on dose of confidence.
- Dealing with Diabetes by CBS News includes a video presentation.
- Chase captures driver with low blood sugar.
- Boy, 2, helps revive diabetic grandmother.
- Running For Love: I crossed Disney Marathon finish line with Team Diabetes, Shirley and Dad.
- Plastic Fork Diaries, produced by Maryland Public Television, is a clever, entertaining, and educational web site for middle school students that explores food and health issues, including diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child use alternate site testing for blood glucose monitoring. This week's poll asks readers what they use to treat hypoglycemia.
- Now available without a prescription at Diabetic Express! Introducing A1cNow. The A1cNow Monitor is the first ever single-use test for hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) the "gold standard" indicator of diabetes management. Save $2.00 off single pack! Only $23.95! Regularly $24.95 or $43.95 for the 2-Pack Test! The test is easy to use, needs only a drop of blood and takes just 8 minutes. A1cNow is FDA approved and provides accurate results for patient use at home. Each monitor will be sent with a disposable lancet device and complete easy to use instructions. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 900 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Myths, Misconceptions, and Big Fat Lies! by Kris Swenson, RN, CDE and Betty Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE.
- Our section about Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in Diabetes is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Sunday January 26, 2003 12:39:56
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.