Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- The THOR Foundation is offering scholarships for families to attend our Orlando 2003: Friends for Life summer conference. The application deadline is March 31, 2003. Apply now!
- Check out our Jobs Pages.
New This Week
- We upgraded the chat rooms last week. If you had previously bookmarked a room, you'll be redirected to the main login page.
- Deltec alerts Cozmo users to bolus calculation problem.
- The Kids R Pumping web site is updated.
- Kara is 15 and lives near the beach in California.
- Sonia is 11 and lives in Sweden.
- Liz is 14 and likes to scuba dive.
- Marissa is 15 and uses the pump.
- Many summer camps for kids with diabetes have updated information for the 2003 camping season. It's time to reserve your spot. Newly updated camps include:
- Camp Hamwi, in central Ohio, offers horseback riding and outdoor adventure.
- Join Sonia Cooper, president of the Children with Diabetes Foundation, for a special chat about celiac disease. The that begins at 9pm on Tuesday, March 18th in the Celiac chat room.
- Join Clare Rosenfeld for a chat about our International Diabetes Youth Ambassador program at 9pm Eastern on Wednesday, March 19th in the IDYA chat room.
- Read the transcript from last week's chat about Pumping and Exercise.
- JDRF is seeking artwork from kids with type 1 diabetes for greeting cards to raise awareness. $50 cash prizes will be awarded to the artists whose designs are chosen. The deadline to enter is March 31, 2003.
- My Own Book About Pumping by Sandra J. Hollenberg is an excellent introduction to pumping for young kids. Grandma Sandy's grandson Malcolm started pumping when he was four years old.
- Zeroing in on a Cure for Diabetes describes Ken Bernstein's experience receiving an islet transplant at the Diabetes Research Institute.
- A prospective study of thyroid function, morphology and autoimmunity in young patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Improvement in quality of diabetes control and concentrations of AGE-products in patients with type 1 and insulin-treated type 2 diabetes mellitus studied over a period of 10 years (JEVIN).
- Fasting plasma glucose variability as a risk factor of retinopathy in Type 2 diabetic patients.
- Recent advances in management of type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: lessons from the RENAAL study.
- Hepatitis C Virus and Atherosclerosis in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
- On Friday, March 7, CWD Founder Jeff Hitchcock gave a presentation at the AACE Pediatric Practice Management Workshop.
- Systematic review of lipid lowering for primary prevention of coronary heart disease in diabetes. Also available in PDF format.
- Hyperglycemia in Acute Illness.
- High-complex carbohydrate or lente carbohydrate foods?
- FDA Proposes Labeling and Manufacturing Standards For All Dietary Supplements.
- Oats and the gluten-free diet. Also available in PDF format
- Analysis of the structure and strength of bones in celiac disease patients.
- Prevalence of antitissue transglutaminase antibodies in different degrees of intestinal damage in celiac disease.
- Lack of endoscopic visualization of intestinal villi with the "immersion technique" in overt atrophic celiac disease.
- Prevalence of celiac disease among relatives of sib pairs with celiac disease in U.S. families.
- Screening of celiac disease in first-degree relatives.
- Urinary NOx:Creatinine Ratios During Gluten Challenge in Children With Celiac Disease.
- South Carolina residents should contact their elected representatives in support of the Diabetes Mellitus School Care Act and Bill 3700 to require public elementary schools to have a full-time nurse
- Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2002. See also The Cost of Diabetes in the US in 2002.
- City agrees to settle prisoners' diabetes case. (Access to this article will expire on Friday, March 21, 2003).
- The Bittersweet Science, published in The New York Times Magazine, recounts the story of Elizabeth Hughes, one of the first patients treated with insulin. Free registration required.
- Bone Marrow Found to Have Cells to Repair the Pancreas.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they are stockpiling diabetes supplies in light of growing world tensions. This week's poll asks readers about how they get their HbA1c measured.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The "I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar" Cookbook by Deborah E. Buhr.
- Our Glucagon Emergency Kit page is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.