Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- The THOR Foundation is offering scholarships for families to attend our Orlando 2003: Friends for Life summer conference. The application deadline is March 31, 2003. Apply now!
- Check out our Jobs Pages.
New This Week
- Anthony was diagnosed at when he was 13 months old.
- Danny is six years old.
- Michelle is 14 and lives in Canada.
- Read the transcript of last week's International Diabetes Youth Ambassadors chat.
- Read the transcript of last week's Celiac chat.
- Join representatives from Deltec in a discussion about the Cozmo pump on Wednesday, March 28th at 9pm Eastern in the Cozmo chat room.
- Read the 2002 Annual Report of the Diabetes Research Institute. (1.75MB PDF)
- Pertussis infection in childhood and subsequent type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Intervening before the onset of Type 1 diabetes: baseline data from the European Nicotinamide Diabetes Intervention Trial (ENDIT).
- Increased frequency of islet cell antibodies in unaffected brothers of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Signs of beta-cell autoimmunity and HLA-defined diabetes susceptibility in the Finnish population: the sib cohort from the Type 1 Diabetes Prediction and Prevention Study.
- A simulation model for estimating direct costs of type 1 diabetes prevention.
- Insulin gene transfer enhances the function of human islet grafts.
- Acceleration of type 1 diabetes mellitus in proinsulin 2–deficient NOD mice.
- ACE inhibition salvages the visual loss caused by diabetes.
- Prevalence of diabetic eye disease in patients entering a systematic primary care-based eye screening programme.
- Ultrasonography of plantar soft tissues thickness in young people with diabetes.
- Effect of Chronic Treatment with Vitamin E on Endothelial Dysfunction in a Type I in Vivo Diabetes Mellitus Model and in Vitro.
- Occurrence of gestational diabetes mellitus and the value of different screening indicators for the oral glucose tolerance test.
- Loss of early insulin secretion leads to postprandial hyperglycaemia.
- Demonstration of increased concentrations of circulating glycated insulin in human Type 2 diabetes using a novel and specific radioimmunoassay.
- Pulmonary Insulin Delivery System Safe, Well Tolerated in Smokers and Asthmatics.
- Neurocognitive functioning in children with type-1 diabetes with and without episodes of severe hypoglycaemia.
- Illness uncertainty, perceived control, and psychological distress among adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Efficacy of Humalog injections before an afternoon meal and their acceptance by children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Continuous glucose monitoring with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Role of Diabetes Health Care Professionals in Diabetes Discrimination Issues at Work and School. Also in PDF version.
- Lantus receives European approval for pediatric use.
- Insulin Pump Therapy ... Is it Right for You? is a 24-page brochure by Novo Nordisk and includes a $25 rebate on NovoLog.
- NovoLog now available in disposable, prefilled pen.
- Novo Nordisk offers several online, professional courses related to diabetes, including blood glucose monitoring, the basics of pump therapy, and insulin delivery systems. Free registration is required and CE credits are offered.
- The possible role of postprandial hyperglycaemia in the pathogenesis of diabetic complications.
- Obesity, Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Risk in Children. Also in PDF version.
- Rationale and options for combination therapy in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes.
- Long-term effect of varying the source or amount of dietary carbohydrate on postprandial plasma glucose, insulin, triacylglycerol, and free fatty acid concentrations in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. See also Ways Of Reducing Glycaemic Load Vary In Effects.
- Effect of a Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement on Infection and Quality of Life. Also available in PDF format.
- Parents who test their children's blood sugar during the night should read about new research which indicates that Sustained Reduced Sleep Can Have Serious Consequences. See also The Cumulative Cost of Additional Wakefulness: Dose-Response Effects on Neurobehavioral Functions and Sleep Physiology From Chronic Sleep Restriction and Total Sleep Deprivation.
- Creating Healthy Futures: An Innovative Nurse-Managed Transition Clinic for Adolescents and Young Adults With Special Health Care Needs.
- Transplanted Islet Cells Render Diabetes Type 1 Patients Insulin-Free.
- Emory University receives $139,000 for eye research, islet cell transplantation.
- Teens: Parties and Diabetic Control.
- School staffers can give injection.
- Family fighting back against diabetes.
- Sweets, genetics not to blame for diabetes.
- Key Findings For Diabetes: Action Research study points to viruses.
- Diabetic teaches prevention skills with U.S.A. trek.
- Last week's poll asked readers about how they get their HbA1c measured. This week's poll asks readers if their diabetes team has discussed the benefits of ACE inhibitors with them.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Practical Psychology for Diabetes Clinicians, 2nd Edition, edited by Barbara J. Anderson, PhD, and Richard R. Rubin, PhD., CDE.
- Mini-Dose Glucagon Rescue for Hypoglycemia in Children With Type 1 Diabetes is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.