Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- The THOR Foundation is offering scholarships for families to attend our Orlando 2003: Friends for Life summer conference. The application deadline is March 31, 2003. Apply now!
- Check out our Jobs Pages.
New This Week
- Our Insulin Pump pages is now available in a Spanish-language version.
- Many summer camps for kids with diabetes have updated information for the 2003 camping season. It's time to reserve your spot. Newly updated camps include:
- Camp for Diabetic Children of Eastern Quebec (CEDEQ) offers camp for kids in Quebec. (Also in French.)
- Camp Huronda is a camp for kids with diabetes at Lake Waseosa near Huntsville, Ontario, Canada.
- Camp Jean Nelson offers "the week that lasts a lifetime" to kids in Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
- Camp Morton and Camp Maxwell are camps in Nova Scotia.
- The Canadian Diabetes Association has a full listing of camps for kids with diabetes in Canada.
- Join the OneTouch UltraSmart and OneTouch Software v2.0 Product Teams for a chat about connecting the OneTouch UltraSmart to the new version of LifeScan's diabetes management software on Wednesday, April 2nd at 9pm Eastern in the LifeScan chat room.
- We review OneTouch Diabetes Management Software v2.0 from LifeScan.
- We review Real Life Parenting of Kids with Diabetes by Virginia Nasmyth Loy.
- We review Carbohydrate Counting Made Easy.
- Do All Prepubertal Years of Diabetes Duration Contribute Equally to Diabetes Complications?
- Absence of Adverse Effects of Severe Hypoglycemia on Cognitive Function in School-Aged Children With Diabetes Over 18 Months.
- Brief report: cross-cultural replication of an anomalous psychometric pattern in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Prediabetes in children: natural history, diagnosis, and preventive strategies.
- Promising Results for Islet Cell Transplantation to Treat Diabetes.
- Alginate microcapsules for pancreatic islet cell graft immunoprotection: struggle and progress towards the final cure for type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Breakthrough Treatment To Halt Or Prevent Diabetic Kidney Damage.
- Cole Eye Institute Researchers Discover Novel Mechanism Used To Prevent Abnormal Blood Vessel Growth. Future Work Will Focus on Discovery’s Potential to Treat Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy and Cancer. See also A novel function for tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3 (TIMP3): inhibition of angiogenesis by blockage of VEGF binding to VEGF receptor-2.
- Poor Prognosis of Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Frequency of Severe Hypoglycemia Requiring Emergency Treatment in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Thyroid Dysfunction in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Decreasing Incidence of Severe Diabetic Microangiopathy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Menstrual Cycle Differences Between Women With Type 1 Diabetes and Women Without Diabetes.
- Effects of Postmenopausal Hormone Replacement Therapy on HbA1c Levels.
- Progression of Retinopathy During Pregnancy in Type 1 Diabetic Women Treated With Insulin Lispro.
- The Impact of Severe Hypoglycemia and Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia on Relatives of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Safety and Effectiveness of Insulin Pump Therapy in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Blood glucose estimations in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: predictors of accuracy and error.
- Accuracy of an Electrochemical Sensor for Measuring Capillary Blood Ketones by Fingerstick Samples During Metabolic Deterioration After Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Interruption in Type 1 Diabetic Patients reports on the accuracy of blood ketone testing using the Precision Xtra meter (called the MediSense Optium in Europe).
- The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Is Useful for Detecting Unrecognized Hypoglycemias in Patients With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes but Is Not Better Than Frequent Capillary Glucose Measurements for Improving Metabolic Control.
- Evolution of Analytical Performance in Portable Glucose Meters in the Last Decade.
- Clinical Impact of Prandial State, Exercise, and Site Preparation on the Equivalence of Alternative-Site Blood Glucose Testing.
- Rapid A1c Availability Improves Clinical Decision-Making in an Urban Primary Care Clinic.
- Systematic Review of Herbs and Dietary Supplements for Glycemic Control in Diabetes.
- A Comparison of Diabetes Education Administered Through Telemedicine Versus in Person.
- 2002 cost of diabetes in the US set at $132 billion.
- Prep pitcher a hit with new diabetes device.
- Australian team aims to "uncomplicate diabetes."
- Last week's poll asked readers if their diabetes team has discussed the benefits of ACE inhibitors with them. This week's poll asks readers about when they test for ketones.
- Our featured page from The Diabetes Monitor is about Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, a form of type 1 diabetes which is diagnosed in individuals who are older than the usual age of onset of type 1 diabetes. It is frequently confused with type 2 diabetes.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Food and Diabetes - For Kids, Teens, Families and Caregivers by Doreen Yasui, RDN, CDE and Doreen Hatton, RN, MSN.
- The Diabetes Marketplace is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.