Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- We've added a new section called CWD Grads to honor our kids as they graduate from high school and college. Send an e-mail to email@example.com to have your graduate included.
- Check out our Jobs Pages.
New This Week
- Readers are reminded to be watchful for cyber quackery in light of recent attempts to promote a fruit juice as a miracle cure for diabetes.
- Mary Gillespie shares a conversation she had with her son.
- Madeline Edwards is 7 years old, has type 1 diabetes, and is a singer.
- Many summer camps for kids with diabetes have updated information for the 2003 camping season. It's time to reserve your spot. Newly updated camps include:
- Camp LADD is a free day camp for children with diabetes located in Cortland, N.Y.
- Green Mountain at Fox Run in Vermont offers a retreat for women with type 2 diabetes.
- Curriculum for Diabetes Health Education is online at the IDF web site.
- WebMD reviews the latest diabetes research and daily care news.
- Read the transcript from last week's chat about this summer's Friends for Life: Orlando 2003 conference.
- Sleep-Related Hypoglycemia-Associated Autonomic Failure in Type 1 Diabetes: Reduced Awakening From Sleep During Hypoglycemia.
- Transfer of Insulin Lispro Across the Human Placenta concludes that "lispro is unlikely to reach or harm the unborn baby."
- Subcutaneous glucose sensor values closely parallel blood glucose during insulin-induced hypoglycaemia.
- Closed-loop glucose control in critically ill patients using continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) in real time.
- From external to implantable insulin pump, can we close the loop?
- Impact of ambulatory, family-focused teamwork intervention on glycemic control in youth with type 1 diabetes.
- New Insights on Oxidative Stress and Diabetic Complications May Lead to a "Causal" Antioxidant Therapy.
- C-Reactive Protein and Glycemic Control in Adults With Diabetes.
- Effect of 5-year enalapril therapy on progression of microalbuminuria and glomerular structural changes in type 1 diabetic subjects.
- Low IGF-I and Elevated Testosterone During Puberty in Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes Developing Microalbuminuria in Comparison to Normoalbuminuric Control Subjects.
- Long-Term Renoprotective Effects of Losartan in Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Insulin Resistance–Related Factors, but not Glycemia, Predict Coronary Artery Disease in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Audit on Stillbirths in Women With Pregestational Type 1 Diabetes.
- A Low-Iron-Available, Polyphenol-Enriched, Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet to Slow Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Plasma Prekallikrein: A Risk Marker for Hypertension and Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Scientists Discover Unique Source of Postnatal Stem Cells.
- Lilly Confirms Continuing Shortage of Glucagon Kits.
- Analytical performance of glucometers used for routine glucose self-monitoring of diabetic patients.
- Intensive Replacement of Basal Insulin in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Given Rapid-Acting Insulin Analog at Mealtime.
- Modem Transmission of Glucose Values Reduces the Costs and Need for Clinic Visits.
- Dietary Fats Do Not Contribute to Hyperlipidemia in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Flying With Diabetes.
- Have Insulin, Will Fly: Diabetes Management During Air Travel and Time Zone Adjustment Strategies.
- Diabetic Kidney Disease: Preventing Dialysis and Transplantation.
- ABC of diabetes: Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and lipids.
- Using risk tables to assess cardiovascular risk in type 2 diabetes has drawbacks.
- Aerogen halts development of its insulin inhaler.
- Medicaid Cuts and Attempts to Eliminate Insurance Coverage for Diabetes Needs Threaten the Lives of Our Patients.
- Franklin County's Hannah Manis Stars in Commercial About Diabetes.
- Courageous 9-year-old 'perfect' ambassador for diabetes walk.
- Burgettstown students upbeat about walk for diabetes.
- Stars to turn out for Scottish premiere of Xmen 2.
- A huge public health problem.
- Rebuilding the Food Pyramid, published in the January 2003 issue of Scientific American, offers a thought-provoking reassessment of the FDA food guide pyramid and suggests a radical change in the foods we eat.
- Last week's poll asked readers how long it took them to find this website once they started looking for diabetes information online. This week's poll asks readers about which blood glucose monitor they use most often.
- Our featured page from The Diabetes Monitor is How to protect your kidneys.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Real Life Parenting of Kids with Diabetes by Virginia Nasmyth Loy.
- The Quilt for Life is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:59
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.