Of Continuing Interest
- cwdMail is a free, web-based e-mail service provided by Children with Diabetes and sponsored by LifeScan. cwdMail provides a simple web-based interface and rigorous anti-spam filtering to reduce the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail you receive. Also, your cwdMail address will never be sold or shared with anyone.
- CWD CoPilot is a free, web-based diabetes data management system sponsored by TheraSense. You can upload data from the FreeStyle and Tracker meters, and enter data in by hand.
- Check out our Jobs Pages.
New This Week
- Sara is 13 and lives in Canada.
- Phoebe is 8 and lives in England.
- Chelsea is 11 and has two cats.
- New IDYA members include:
- Brittney McIver from Washington state
- Ian Myers from Pennsylvania
- Matthew Holt from Arizona
- Stephanie Morris from New Hampshire
- IDYA members are working to help IDYA Karen Murphy overcome discrimination regarding entry into the National Honor Society.
- The British Medical Journal has two new articles about diabetic retinopathy:
- Diabetic retinopathy: Extracts from "Concise Clinical Evidence"
- Clinical review: ABC of diabetes: Retinopathy
- Join CWD Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux for an update on our Friends for Life: Orlando 2003 conference on Wednesday, May 28th at 9pm Eastern in the Orlando 2003 chat room.
- Read the transcript of last week's chat with Dr. Camillo Ricordi of the DRI on islet transplantation and the progress toward a cure.
- We're running three surveys to help prepare for several sessions at the upcoming Friends for Life: Orlando 2003 conference in July. Anyone is welcome to take the surveys. Answers and comments from the sessions will be posted after the conference. The surveys are:
- Survey for Parents
- Survey for Kids with Diabetes
- Survey for Siblings Without Diabetes
- The severity of clinical presentation of type 1 diabetes in children does not significantly influence the pattern of residual beta-cell function and long-term metabolic control.
- Nonlethal conditioning for the induction of allogeneic chimerism and tolerance to islet allografts.
- The cholera toxin B subunit is a mucosal adjuvant for oral tolerance induction in type 1 diabetes.
- The artificial pancreas.
- Inhaled Insulin Produces Antibodies, But No Adverse Effects Found After Two-Year Study.
- Cardiac autonomic dysinnervation and myocardial blood flow in long-term Type 1 diabetic patients.
- A paracetamol-pasta test for assessing gastric emptying in healthy and diabetic subjects.
- Validation of albumin determined in urine with the HemoCue point-of-care analyser.
- Glucose metabolism in relatives of type 1 diabetic patients with albuminuria.
- HLA associations in type 1 diabetes: DPB1 alleles may act as markers of other HLA-complex susceptibility genes.
- Lipoprotein subclass measurements by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy improve the prediction of coronary artery disease in Type 1 Diabetes. A prospective report from the Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study.
- Aberrant monocyte prostaglandin synthase 2 (PGS2) expression in type 1 diabetes before and after disease onset.
- Achieving glycemic control in young children with type 1 diabetes: approaches, pitfalls and new technologies.
- An assessment of care of paediatric and adolescent patients with diabetes in a large district general hospital.
- Do Multivitamin Supplements Attenuate the Risk for Diabetes-Associated Birth Defects?
- Amniotic fluid insulin levels and fetal abdominal circumference at time of amniocentesis in pregnancies with diabetes.
- Newer Insulins Analogues Prevent Hypoglycemic Episodes Compared To Conventional Insulins.
- Relationship between glycemic control, ethnicity and socioeconomic status in Hispanic and white non-Hispanic youths with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Income-related differences in the use of evidence-based therapies in older persons with diabetes mellitus in for-profit managed care.
- Generalist-subspecialist communication about children with chronic conditions: an analysis of physician focus groups.
- The New England Journal of Medicine published two reports about low-carbohydrate diets, also called the Atkins Diet:
- A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity.
- A Randomized Trial of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet for Obesity.
- Hope Warshaw, MMSc, RD, CDE, a nationally recognized expert in nutrition and diabetes, wrote a response to "What if It's All Been A Big Fat Lie?", an article about the Atkins diet that was published in The New York Times on July 7, 2002.
- Barriers to the treatment of adolescent type 2 diabetes - a survey of provider perceptions.
- Gender difference in all-cause and cardiovascular mortality related to hyperglycaemia and newly-diagnosed diabetes.
- Recent advances in management of type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: Lessons from the RENAAL study.
- Combination therapy with Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and Angiotensin receptor antagonists in the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- School nurse wins kudos for care. (Lynn Wilson is a retired member of CWD's Diabetes Team.)
- Treating Your Child's Type 2 Diabetes is a video presentation.
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers what they feel is the single greatest potential benefit of a continuous glucose monitor.
- Our featured page from The Diabetes Monitor is about Lantus, which has now been approved for any-time-of-day administration.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cooking with the Diabetic Chef by Chris Smith.
- Our page about Gestational Diabetes is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:59
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.