- Read transcripts of the testimony from the hearing entitled 'Juvenile Diabetes: Examining The Personal Toll On Families, Financial Costs To The Federal Health Care System, And Research Progress Toward A Cure', held on Tuesday, June 23rd.
- July 1st is the last day for regular registration for our Friends for Life: Orlando 2003 annual conference, to be held at Disney World from July 9th through the 12th.
- With summer travel upon us, vacationers should read Have Insulin, Will Fly: Diabetes Management During Air Travel and Time Zone Adjustment Strategies. Also available in PDF format.
- Douglas Cairns from Diabetes World Flight, in partnership with Michael Hunter from Flight for Diabetes, will be attempting to break the Around America Record later this month. Douglas will be attending the CWD Friends for Life conference in Orlando from 10-12 July, speaking with children with diabetes and their families, and then he will be preparing for the record breaking attempt. They will be starting out on the 29th of July from the Oshkosh Air Show and will be making various stops in the U.S.
- Conner is 2 and was diagnosed right before Christmas 2002.
- Marc Blatstein shares his experiences in Winning With Diabetes and Tae Kwon Do.
- New IDYA members include:
- Kaitlyn Markola from the United States
- Karly Rogers from the Unites States
- Kristin Johnson from the Unites States
- Laura Scrimgeour from the Unites States
- Lucille Cortez from the United States
- Rachel Ellsworth from the United States
- Songie Alfred Mansaray from Sierra Leone
- Tarra Hamby from the United States
- Taylor Hanson from the United States
- Join Pump Trainer Natalie Bellini for a special chat about "Pumping on Vacation and at Camp" on Tuesday, July 1st at 9pm Eastern in the Pumping with Natalie chat room.
- Join Dietitian Judy Singley for a special chat about "Eating in Different Cities and Restaurants" on Wednesday, July 2nd at 9pm Eastern in the Nutrition with Judy chat room.
- Read the transcript from last week's "Pumping at the Pool" chat.
- Read the transcript from last week's "Summer, Carbs and You" chat.
- We review the Ascensia Breeze blood glucose monitor.
- The NIDDK has released a report on the Type 1 Diabetes Research Special Statutory Funding Program.
- Formation of insulin-positive cells in implants of human pancreatic duct cell preparations from young donors.
- Islet transplant: an option for childhood diabetes?
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 improved glycemic control in type 1 diabetes.
- Significance of Microalbuminuria in Long-Duration Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effects of Duration and Age at Onset of Type 1 Diabetes on Preclinical Manifestations of Nephropathy.
- Factors predictive of nephropathy in DCCT Type 1 diabetic patients with good or poor metabolic control.
- Homocysteine as a risk factor for nephropathy and retinopathy in Type 2 diabetes.
- New Study Demonstrates Bone Protein Can Reverse Kidney Failure. See also BMP-7 counteracts TGF-beta-1–induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and reverses chronic renal injury.
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.
- Statins cut cardiovascular events by a quarter in people with diabetes. Also in PDF format.
- Mortality from heart disease in a cohort of 23,000 patients with insulin-treated diabetes.
- Prediction of cardiovascular risk in people with diabetes.
- Vascular Risk Factors and Markers of Endothelial Function as Determinants of Inflammatory Markers in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relationship Between Diurnal Blood Pressure, Renal Hemodynamic Function, and the Renin-Angiotensin System in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Serum levels of low molecular weight advanced glycation end products in diabetic subjects.
- Islet cell autoantibodies in cord blood from children with blood group incompatibility or hyperbilirubinemia.
- No Association between Preeclampsia or Cesarean Section and Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes among Children: A Large, Population-Based Cohort Study.
- Etiological Investigation of Diabetes in Young Adults Presenting With Apparent Type 2 Diabetes.
- Comparison of Insulin Aspart and Lispro.
- New insulins and quality of life.
- The cost-effectiveness of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion compared with multiple daily injections for the management of diabetes.
- Effectiveness of a toll-free telephone hotline for children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. A 5-year study.
- Effect of Antecedent Hypoglycemia on Counterregulatory Responses to Subsequent Euglycemic Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Estrogen Blunts Neuroendocrine and Metabolic Responses to Hypoglycemia.
- A comparative evaluation of digital imaging, retinal photography and optometrist examination in screening for diabetic retinopathy.
- Continuous glucose monitoring for treatment adjustment in diabetic pregnancies - a pilot study.
- Factors associated to ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children.
- Summer camps and quality of life in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. See also Camps for children with T1DM.
- The Platelet in Diabetes.
- Self-Management Competence as a Predictor of Outcomes of Intensive Therapy or Usual Care in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Safety and efficacy of insulin glargine (HOE 901) versus NPH insulin in combination with oral treatment in Type 2 diabetic patients.
- How Common Is Celiac Disease In Eastern Saudi Arabia?
- Diabetes in childhood: are the laws obligations or resources? The Italian situation.
- On Monday, June 23rd, Mary Tyler Moore was on 'Larry King Live' and spoke about diabetes.
- Helping kids with diabetes.
- Aventis Announces Regulatory Submission For Rapid-Acting Analogue Insulin Glulisine in the European Union and the United States.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child had a yeast infection immediately prior to diagnosis. This week's poll asks readers if they or their child have sought counseling to help cope with diabetes.
- Our featured page from The Diabetes Monitor is Planning a pregnancy.
- Introductory Price Special from Diabetic Express! New! ONE TOUCH® UltraSmart Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Blood Glucose Meter and Electronic Logbook in One! Only $29.95 after $20 manufacturer rebate and $30 trade-in! Trade-in offer is valid for all non-ONE TOUCH meters and the ONE TOUCH Profile. The ONE TOUCH UltraSmart uses FastDraw Design Ultra test strips, a new capillary action, end-fill test strip that takes only 1 microliter of blood, is touchable, and is approved for alternative sites (e.g., the arm instead of the finger tip). SmartButtons make your entries fast and easy. Patterns are easy to see and understand. Less pain, less blood, accurate results in 5 seconds! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is I've Got a Secret by Jade Elizabeth Gamber.
- What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:59
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.