February 13-15, 2004
Four Points Hotel by Sheraton
San Antonio River Walk North
July 14-17, 2004
Universal City, California
Of Continuing Interest
- The DRI's 3rd World of Hope Conference, From Research to Reality: Islets, Stem Cells, and Other Therapies, will be held on Saturday, February 7, 2004 at the Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach Resort in Bal Harbour, Florida.
- The ADA is seeking applications for the next National Youth Advocate.
- Registration information for the 2004 Friends for Life conference is now online.
- The T.H.O.R. Foundation announces their grant and scholarship applications have opened for the year 2004. The T.H.O.R. Foundation provides scholarships for families to attend CWD's annual Friends for Life conference.
- Help Nursing Students Learn About Diabetes.
- The Barton Center for Diabetes has two openings for Assistant Camp Director.
New This Week
- Rachel is 13 and just got an insulin pump.
- Tiffani is 12 and likes to play the piano.
- Elizabeth is 13 lives near Liverpool.
- Emily is 13 and does Tae Kwon Do.
- Hannah is nine and named her pump "Lil".
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2004 camping season include:
- Camp Colorado offers summer fun for kids with diabetes, including an equestrian camp.
- Elliott P. Joslin Camp and the Joslin Winter Camp in Charlton, Massachusetts.
- Join us for a special chat about the TRIGR Study, with Dorothy Becker, Professor of Pediatrics at Children's Hospital and University of Pittsburgh, on Tuesday, January 20th at 9pm Eastern in the TRIGR chat room.
- Join us for the first chat about our upcoming Friends for Life: LA 2004 CWD Summer Conference, hosted by CWD Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux, on Wednesday, January 21st at 9pm Eastern in the LA2004 chat room.
- Type 1 Tools offers outstanding educational tools and diabetes management products for families and care providers.
- SiDiary is a free diabetes management tool for both Windows and PocketPC platforms.
- Alterations in bone characteristics associated with glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS): Lifestyle Intervention and 3-Year Results on Diet and Physical Activity.
- The Relation of Retinal Vessel Caliber to the Incidence and Progression of Diabetic Retinopathy: The Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Relationship between blood glucose control, pathogenesis and progression of diabetic nephropathy. See also Decline of Glomerular Function Increases When Glycated Haemoglobin Steadily Higher Than 7.5%.
- Nerve conduction in children suffering insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
- Adenoviral gene transfer of erythropoietin confers cytoprotection to isolated pancreatic islets.
- The novel anti-inflammatory agent lisofylline prevents autoimmune diabetic recurrence after islet transplantation.
- Insulin sensitivity in physically fit and unfit children of parents with Type 2 diabetes.
- Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Reduced beta-Cell Function in Overweight Latino Children with a Positive Family History for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Abbott Laboratories To Acquire TheraSense.
- Nocturnal hypoglycemia: clinical manifestations and therapeutic strategies toward prevention.
- A multicenter, randomized, open-label, comparative, two-period crossover trial of preference, efficacy, and safety profiles of a prefilled, disposable pen and conventional vial/syringe for insulin injection in patients with type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus. See also Patients Prefer Disposable Insulin-Injection Pen to Conventional Vial/Syringe Delivery Method.
- Quality of life for adolescents with type 1 diabetes: parental and youth perspectives.
- A comparison between optimal and actuarial health care costs of adolescents with diabetes.
- The Impact of Diabetic Retinopathy on Participation in Daily Living. See also Measuring the Effects of Vision Loss.
- Angiotensin receptor blockers as anti-hypertensive treatment for patients with diabetes mellitus: meta-analysis of controlled double-blind randomized trials.
- Treating Foot Infections in Diabetic Patients: A Randomized, Multicenter, Open-Label Trial of Linezolid versus Ampicillin-Sulbactam/Amoxicillin-Clavulanate. See also Linezolid surpasses other antibiotics for diabetic foot ulcers and Study finds new antibiotic effective for diabetic foot infections.
- Board widens who can give diabetes hormone.
- Doctor placed on probation after error.
- Pumps aids better life.
- Saved by the Bell.
- Austin family adjusts to juvenile diabetes.
- Built for speed.
- Books offer recipes, cooking tips for people with dietary disorders.
- Mantas' Sagona has a passing fancy.
- White puts up good fight.
- More children falling prey to diabetes.
- Baby to give gift of hope; Berlin infant's umbilical cord will be used in procedure to aid diabetic brother.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their children have been tested for celiac. This week's poll asks readers about the insulins that they use.
- Brand New from Ascensia Breeze Meter only $9.95 after $40 Manufacturer's rebate from Diabetic Express! Easy testing. Single-function buttons are easy-to-use and understand No more fumbling with individual test strips. One easy-to-load Ascensia "AUTODISC" includes 10 individual test strips with no coding required Comfortable and convenient shape. Fits perfectly in the palm of your hand and is stable for table-top testing too Get accurate results quickly. Automatic coding and underfill detection You need just a tiny blood drop because the test strip automatically draws in the right amount - that's called "Sip-in Sampling" Saves information for up to 100 tests! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Growing Up With Diabetes: What Children Want Their Parents to Know by Alicia McAuliffe.
- Our section on Insulin Pumps is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.