July 14-17, 2004
Sheraton Universal, Universal City, California
September 3-5, 2004
The Westin Grand, Washington, D.C.
Of Continuing Interest
- We're running a survey about infusion set disconnect devices. You can view the results to date.
- Factors Affecting Adherence to a Diabetic Medical Regimen in Adolescents with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus is a new nationwide study.
New This Week
- We've published a response to the Countdown article that included a sidebar critical of nighttime blood glucose testing.
- Crystal Jackson responds to the American Federation of Teacher's goal to block legislation throughout the country that would permit trained school staff from providing assistance to children with diabetes while at school or during school activities.
- In June 2004, we published 80 new answers to questions sent to our Diabetes Team, bringing the total number of questions and answers online to 14,425. What's your question?
- Alyne is 14 and loves using an insulin pump.
- Skye is 11 and was diagnosed in March 2004.
- Alison is six and was diagnosed in February 2003.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2004 camping season include:
- Kids for a Cure Club is a day camp for kids with diabetes, ages 7-11, in Downtown Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- Dancing for the Cure in Elizabeth, New Jersey on September 26, 2004 is raising money to help Supplies for Children with Diabetes Foundation, which provides diabetes supplies to families in need.
- Effect of AC2993 with or without Immunosuppression on Beta Cell Function in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes is a new NIH study.
- A study examining Adaptive Responses To Exercise In Children With Type 1 Diabetes is being conducted in Orange County, California.
- Diabetic Mommy provides resources and support to diabetic women of all types (type 1, type 2, gestational diabetes) in all states of life (pregnancy, conception, parenting).
- The online Cozmore Demonstration shows how the Deltec Cozmo insulin pump and FreeStyle blood glucose monitor technology are combined into one unit.
- Diabetes control and complications: the role of glycated haemoglobin, 25 years on.
- Perinatal factors and development of islet autoimmunity in early childhood: the diabetes autoimmunity study in the young.
- Higher maternal age at delivery, and lower birth orders are associated with increased risk of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Anti-GAD-positive patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus have higher prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis than anti-GAD-negative patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Elevated iron indices in patients with diabetes.
- Prospective study of post-partum thyroid immune dysfunctions in type 1 diabetic women and in a healthy control group living in a mild iodine deficient area.
- A central role for inflammation in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy.
- Epidemiology of diabetic retinopathy and macular oedema: a systematic review.
- Angiopoietic factors and retinopathy in pregnancies complicated with Type 1 diabetes.
- Follow-up of kidney biopsies in normoalbuminuric patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Islet Regeneration Research Accelerates New Discoveries Pose Intriguing New Challenges.
- First UK survey of paediatric type 2 diabetes and MODY.
- Animal Models to Study Adult Stem Cell-derived, in Vitro-generated Islet Implantation.
- Development of a novel digestion chamber for human and porcine islet isolation.
- The natural autoantibody repertoire and autoimmune disease.
- Natural antibodies prevent in vivo transmission of porcine islet-derived endogenous retrovirus to human cells.
- Nonhuman primate models for islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes research.
- Nonhuman primate models in type 1 diabetes research.
- Neuroendocrine Immuno-ontogeny of the Pathogenesis of Autoimmune Disease in the Nonobese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse.
- Evaluation of a Type 2 Diabetes Screening Protocol in an Urban Pediatric Clinic.
- Beneficial effects of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and flexible multiple daily insulin regimen using insulin glargine in type 1 diabetes.
- Effects of QD insulin detemir or neutral protamine Hagedorn on blood glucose control in patients with type I diabetes mellitus using a basal-bolus regimen.
- Hypoglycaemia with insulin aspart: a double-blind, randomised, crossover trial in subjects with Type 1 diabetes.
- Motor activity during asymptomatic nocturnal hypoglycemia in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Effects of low and moderate antecedent exercise on counterregulatory responses to subsequent hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- Characteristics and learning effects of the predictability of the self-monitored blood glucose level in children with type 1 diabetes.
- The effect of preapplication of corticosteroids on skin irritation and performance of the GlucoWatch G2 Biographer.
- The utility of insulin glargine in the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- Postprandial Administration of Insulin Lispro May Be Effective Alternative for Pregnant Diabetic Women with Nausea/Vomiting.
- Pregnancy in women with type 2 diabetes: an uncertain prognosis.
- Psychosocial predictors of relapse among diabetes patients: a 2-year follow-up after inpatient diabetes education.
- NIH Consensus Panel Finds Celiac Disease Under-Diagnosed. See also NIH Consensus Development Conference on Celiac Disease, Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 104 - Celiac Disease, and DRAFT NIH Consensus Statement.
- Characteristics and Quality of Illness Behavior in Celiac Disease.
- Mental Disorders in Adolescents With Celiac Disease.
- CDHNF's Celiac Disease website offers information about celiac and links to other resources.
- Celiac disease may affect millions in U.S.
- Wheatless in Seattle is a gluten-free restaurant.
- The Illinois General Assembly is considering the Care of Students with Diabetes Act.
- Mom Faces Charges In Daughter's Death.
- Parents Win Campaign To Fit Their Son With Insulin Pump.
- Victory Junction Gang Camp offers kids a chance to forget illness.
- Diabetes educator uses fiction to inspire those with disease.
- Family Travels Across Country, Raises Money For Diabetes.
- Medtronic Insulin Pumps Help Pediatric Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Achieve Significantly Better Blood Sugar Control Compared To Lantus®. (Refers to A Randomized, Prospective Trial Comparing the Efficacy of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion With Multiple Daily Injections Using Insulin Glargine.)
- New Drug Application for Exenatide Submitted to FDA for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers to report the age at which they or their children were diagnosed. This week's poll asks readers about the age of the glucose meter they use most often.
- FreeStyle Flash blood glucose monitoring system. Now test with the world's smallest meter! Free when you purchase a minimum of 50 FreeStyle test strips! Free Data Cable for your computer via mail in offer. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky.
- Our Report from the ADA 2004 Scientific Sessions is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:03
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.