July 14-17, 2004
Sheraton Universal, Universal City, California
September 3-5, 2004
The Westin Grand, Washington, D.C.
Of Continuing Interest
- Crystal Jackson responds to the American Federation of Teacher's goal to block legislation throughout the country that would permit trained school staff from providing assistance to children with diabetes while at school or during school activities.
- We're running a survey about infusion set disconnect devices. You can view the results to date.
- Factors Affecting Adherence to a Diabetic Medical Regimen in Adolescents with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus is a new nationwide study.
- Effect of AC2993 with or without Immunosuppression on Beta Cell Function in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes is a new NIH study.
- A study examining Adaptive Responses To Exercise In Children With Type 1 Diabetes is being conducted in Orange County, California.
New This Week
- The American Diabetes Association is urging all parents to send a Letter of Protest to the American Federation of Teachers regarding their stance against legislation that would protect children with diabetes while at school.
- Last week we published a response to the Countdown article that included a sidebar critical of nighttime blood glucose testing. This week, we added Jo Ann Ahern's Response and Yale's Response to Countdown Article About Nighttime Testing.
- Doug and Mary write their daughter's diagnosis and living with diabetes.
- Taylor is eight and was diagnosed at age seven.
- Tim is eight and was diagnosed at 15 months.
- Omega Boy Versus Doctor Diabetes is a comic book created by artist Alonzo Washington for his son Kamaal, who was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
- Pre-pubertal onset of type 1 diabetes and appearance of retinopathy.
- C-peptide: new findings and therapeutic implications in diabetes.
- Impact of hypoglycemia and diabetes on CNS: correlation of mitochondrial oxidative stress with DNA damage.
- Declining incidence of severe retinopathy and persisting decrease of nephropathy in an unselected population of Type 1 diabetes-the Linkoping Diabetes Complications Study.
- Retinopathy and microalbuminuria in type II diabetic patients.
- The effects of a combined strength and aerobic exercise program on glucose control and insulin action in women with type 2 diabetes.
- Nutritional concerns in the diabetic athlete.
- Macrovascular disease after simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation..
- Glycemic Patterns Detected by Continuous Subcutaneous Glucose Sensing in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Treated by Multiple Daily Injections vs Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion.
- Diabetes management by hospital-affiliated diabetes centres in Lazio, Italy.
- Improvements in Insulin Resistance with Aerobic Exercise Training: A Lipocentric Approach.
- Introduction-Preventing Insulin Resistance through Exercise: A Cellular Approach.
- Toolkit: ABCDEFGs of Diabetes.
- Effectiveness Of A Disease Management Program For Patients With Diabetes. See also Newly Released National Study Shows Diabetes Disease Management Program Reduces Costs, Improves Quality.
- Anti-ganglioside antibodies in children with coeliac disease: correlation with gluten-free diet and neurological complications.
- Vitamin E levels in patients with coeliac disease.
- Club rejects girl with diabetes. Concerned parents can contact the Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors.
- Ohio soldier dies overseas of complications from diabetes.
- Diabetes center spruces up as research advances.
- Global Increase in Juvenile Diabetes Gets Worldwide Attention: The Canadian perspective in landmark study.
- Summer camp mixes fun with insulin shots.
- Diabetes camp taking applications.
- Son's illness spurs woman to advocacy.
- Pager-Size Pump Helps Detroit Pitcher Fight Diabetes.
- Diabetes doesn't slow Myers Park hitters.
- Kris Freeman recognized for athletic achievement by diabetes care company.
- Flamboyant Hall trying to raise the profile of swimming. (Free registration required)
- Last week's poll asked readers about the age of the glucose meter they use most often. This week's poll asks readers how many times per week their child has a hypoglycemic episode that requires treatment.
- FreeStyle Flash blood glucose monitoring system. Now test with the world's smallest meter! Free when you purchase a minimum of 50 FreeStyle test strips! Free Data Cable for your computer via mail in offer. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Teens Pumping It Up: Insulin Pump Therapy Guide for Adolescents by Elizabeth Boland, MSN, APRN, PNP, CDE.
- In anticipation of this week's Friends for Life: LA 2004 annual CWD conference, our Report from Friends for Life 2003: Orlando is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.