Of Continuing Interest
- We're running a special poll about whether families are experiencing any changes in care at school as a result of the American Federation of Teachers vote in July 2004 against diabetes care by non-nurses.
- The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston is seeking a Director for the Joslin Diabetes Camp.
New This Week
- Make plans now to join us at the Friends for Life Annual Conference at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2005.
- In September 2004, we published 100 answers to questions submitted to our Diabetes Team, bringing the total number of published answers to over 14,700. What's your diabetes question?
- Ramon Eduardo is eight and lives in Mexico.
- Hannah is nine and was diagnosed in September 2004.
- Kristina is six and lives in Canada.
- Noah is seven and plays soccer and hockey and does karate.
- We now have 381 panels in the Quilt for Life.
- Advances in Diabetes for the Millennium: Insulin Treatment and Glucose Monitoring is free online CME course.
- Our Halloween page offers carb counts for many tasty treats.
- The Diabetes Research Institute Foundation presents its 5th Annual Research Update Transplantation, Tolerance & Regenerative Treatments on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City. CWD representatives will be there.
- IBM employees are encouraged to donate to the Diabetes Research Institute.
- A study on Autoantigen Vaccination In Human Type 1 Newly Diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus is seeking adults 18-35 who have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus less than three months.
- 487 Really Cool Tips for Kids with Diabetes by Spike and Bo Nasmyth Loy is aimed at older kids and teens and can help parents understand what kids are feeling.
- Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert and Laura Messinger is a great book for younger kids newly diagnosed with diabetes.
- Meta-analysis: glycosylated hemoglobin and cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus.
- Cardiovascular Disease, Mortality, and Retinal Microvascular Characteristics in Type 1 Diabetes: Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Glucose tolerance of 2- to 5-yr-old offspring of diabetic mothers.
- Effect of Short-Term Hyperglycemia on Multifocal Electroretinogram in Diabetic Patients without Retinopathy.
- Nonlinear model predictive control of glucose concentration in subjects with type 1 diabetes.
- The number of unexpected HbA variants may be a greater problem in routine practice than is generally realized.
- Prospective Study of Social and Other Risk Factors for Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes in the Whitehall II Study.
- The occurrence and causes of registered blindness in diabetes patients in Arhus County, Denmark.
- The assessment of the level of growth factors in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus and the beginning of diabetic microangiopathy.
- Effects of Vitamin E Supplementation on Intracellular Antioxidant Enzyme Production in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes and Early Microangiopathy.
- Acute renal failure due to drugs in diabetics patients.
- C-peptide: much more than a byproduct of insulin biosynthesis.
- Efficacy of Human Islet Isolation From the Tail Section of the Pancreas for the Possibility of Living Donor Islet Transplantation.
- Islet transplantation in patients with diabetes mellitus : choice of immunosuppression.
- Delivery of Bcl-XL or its BH4 domain by protein transduction inhibits apoptosis in human islets.
- Salmonella typhimurium infection halts development of type 1 diabetes in NOD mice.
- Assessment of glycemic control by continuous glucose monitoring system in 50 children with type 1 diabetes starting on insulin pump therapy.
- Photonic Crystal Glucose-Sensing Material for Noninvasive Monitoring of Glucose in Tear Fluid.
- Severe hypoglycaemia in 1076 adult patients with type 1 diabetes: influence of risk markers and selection.
- Reimbursement and costs of pediatric ambulatory diabetes care by using the resource-based relative value scale: is multidisciplinary care financially viable?
- Evaluation of a bedside blood ketone sensor: the effects of acidosis, hyperglycaemia and acetoacetate on sensor performance.
- Age related differences in individual quality of life domains in youth with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Home blood glucose monitoring in type 2 diabetes.
- Variations in glucose self-monitoring during oral hypoglycaemic therapy in primary care.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Clinical and Biochemical Differences.
- Treatment of hypertension in patients with diabetes.
- Effects of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonists on mortality and renal outcomes in diabetic nephropathy: systematic review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Insulin analogs: progressing slowly.
- Long acting insulin analogs: possibly more stable glucose regulation.
- HbA1c in the monitoring of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Direct medical costs unequivocally related to diabetes in Italian specialized centers.
- A systematic critique of diabetes on the world wide web for patients and their physicians.
- Good physicians from the perspective of their patients.
- Celiac sufferers learn to eat a gluten-free diet. See also the letter to the editor about getting tested for celiac.
- My Life As a Diabetic Teenager shares the experiences of Kwamboka Oyaro from Nairobi, Kenya.
- Dog true guardian of diabetic.
- Queeners hope to give diabetic Lithuanian teen a permanent home.
- Diabetes poses serious challenge for children.
- Counting on a cure.
- Some suspect school building in student diabetes cases.
- Vilas woman's death in January related to diabetes.
- Animas Announces Notification to IR 1200 Users, Reaffirms Guidance.
- BROTHER Announces New Pricks & Pumps Competition.
- The Pediatric Diabetes Program at UCSF is holding their second annual, "Pediatric Diabetes Symposium and Kids Kamp", on Saturday, October 9, 2004.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I never thought my five-year-old daughter would use diabetes to her advantage. One day after lunch at the mall, I treated her to an ice cream dessert. I wanted to have a little taste of it. I asked her if I could have a few licks, hoping she would graciously share. Instead she said, "Mom you'll mess up the carb count!"
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check for ketones. This week's poll asks readers about the financial burden of paying for diabetes supplies.
- FreeStyle Flash blood glucose monitoring system. Now test with the world's smallest meter! Free when you purchase a minimum of 50 FreeStyle test strips! Free Data Cable for your computer via mail in offer. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Trick-or-Treat for Diabetes by Kim Gosselin.
- Our Guidelines for Treating Lows by Age is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:03
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.