Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans now to join us at the Friends for Life Annual Conference at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2005.
- We're running a special poll about whether families are experiencing any changes in care at school as a result of the American Federation of Teachers vote in July 2004 against diabetes care by non-nurses.
- American Diabetes Association Launches Safe at School program to help counter the American Federation of Teacher's effort to prevent non-nurses from providing diabetes care to kids at school.
- The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston is seeking a Director for the Joslin Diabetes Camp.
New This Week
- We launched the CWD Sports Corner, hosted by Rick Philbin, to address athletics and sports in diabetes.
- We've revamped our photos of diabetes care in interesting places section. Please take a picture to add to the collection.
- Many Rufus and Ruby diaries have new entries.
- You can share CWD through our free cards and brochures.
- Lauren brings us up to date. Her first story was published three-and-a-half years ago.
- Anita is 11 and lives in Australia.
- Becca is 13 and has used an insulin pump since she was 11.
- Dane is nine and is a green belt in TaeKwon Do.
- Joshua is five and loves his insulin pump.
- Tara writes about her daughter Trinity.
- Rhonda writes he son's diagnosis.
- We now have 382 panels in the Quilt for Life. We need hundreds more. If you haven't made a quilt square, please consider doing so. You can download the instructions on making and submitting a quilt square.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2005 camping season include:
- Camp Kyle T. Woodruff is a summer day camp in Fall River, Massachusetts.
- Early onset of subclinical atherosclerosis in young persons with type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin resistance is a risk factor for progression to Type 1 diabetes.
- Increased serum soluble leptin receptor levels in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Lack of Effect of Vitamin D Administration during Pregnancy and Early Life on Diabetes Incidence in the Non-obese Diabetic Mouse.
- Enhancement of implantable glucose sensor function in vivo using gene transfer-induced neovascularization.
- A mouse model for studying intrahepatic islet transplantation.
- "Polypill" for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. Also available in PDF format.
- A randomized, controlled study of insulin pump therapy in diabetic preschoolers.
- Effects of Glycemic Control on Diabetes Complications and on the Prevention of Diabetes. Also available in PDF format.
- Targeting Plasma Glucose: Preprandial Versus Postprandial. Also available in PDF format.
- The Weighty Issue of Low-Carb Diets, or Is the Carbohydrate the Enemy? Also available in PDF format.
- Physical training may enhance beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes.
- Influence of patient literacy on the effectiveness of a primary care-based diabetes disease management program.
- High prevalence of coeliac disease in siblings of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Controlling Health Care Costs.
- Type 1 diabetes can't stop this NCO, even during deployment.
- Diabetes man wins discrimination pay-out.
- Nationwide Contest Seeks To Inspire Better Diabetes Management.
- Former Miss America shines light on diabetes.
- Diabetes cases growing among school kids.
- Beverly Hills girl active in diabetes education.
- Teens meet the challenge of living with diabetes.
- Bud, 14, defies odds to play for England.
- Diabetes, my constant companion.
- Diabetes, blindness not throwing her off stride.
- Diabetics given warning about Ramadhan risk.
- Inmates need medical care.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators Names Theresa Garnero Educator of the Year.
- American Diabetes Association Expands Outreach to Schools with third national School Walk for Diabetes Season.
- Cerner Launches $25-Million, 10-Year Initiative to Provide Personal Health Records to Kids with Diabetes. See also Diabetic kids connect online with doctors.
- Transition Therapeutics' Receives Clearance to Initiate a Clinical Trial for E1-I.N.T.(TM) in Type I Diabetics.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an inground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- Last week's poll asked readers about which blood glucose meter they use most often. This week's poll asks readers how often they change the lancet before blood glucose checks.
- FreeStyle Flash blood glucose monitoring system. Now test with the world's smallest meter! Free when you purchase a minimum of 50 FreeStyle test strips! Free Data Cable for your computer via mail in offer. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Making the Best of Life: Book 2: Learning to Live With Diabetes by Jed Block.
- Our page about Halloween is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.