Of Continuing Interest
- Let everyone know that insulin is not a cure by wearing a CWD bracelet.
- We've revamped our photos of diabetes care in interesting places section. Please take a picture to add to the collection.
New This Week
- CWD Sports Corner host Rick Philbin interviews Chris Dudley, who played center in the NBA and now runs a great basketball camp for teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Scott is 10 and lives in Scotland.
- Daisy was diagnosed in October 2004 and tells us about how she does injections and blood tests.
- Matt is 13 and lives in Australia.
- New IDYA members include:
- Liva Emmatty from India
- Johnsai Demallistre Valverde from The Dominican Republic
- Amanda from the UK
- And from the US,
- Diamond Nicole Marquess West Virginia
- Elizabeth Finstad from Wisconsin
- Erica Dickinson from Florida
- Erica Louise Lilly from New York
- Georgianna Aldaco from New York
- Kerstin from Pennsylvania
- Taylor Howard from Michigan
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2005 camping season include:
- Camp Chicagami offers family, kid, and teen camping weekends in Minnesota
- Campamento Diabetes Safari offers camping fun for kids near Mexico City, Mexico.
- The Barton Center for Diabetes Education has updated information about the Dream Big Dive Deep SCUBA diving school for teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Join host Rick Philbin for a chat about diabetes and sports on Tuesday, November 30th at 9pm Eastern in the Sports chat room.
- Join CWD Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about our Friends for Life 2005 summer conference on Thursday, December 2nd at 9pm Eastern in the Friends for Life chat room.
- There are many clinical trials for people suffering from diabetic gastroparesis.
- The American Federation of Teachers has updated their information about Caring for Diabetic Children in the Classroom. Included is a revised booklet entitled The Diabetes Dilemma: Demanding the Best for Our Children that actively opposes training non-nursing staff at schools to assist in the care of children with diabetes. The AFT focuses attention on the potential for legal problems associated with schools using non-nurses for diabetes care, but is silent on what schools that cannot afford a school nurse are to do.
- www.diabetes-symposium.org has a collection of presentations about continuous glucose monitoring.
- The Orbit 90 is a new insulin pump infusion set by ICU Medical.
- Diet, Growth, and the Risk for Type 1 Diabetes in Childhood.
- Diabetes Incidence in 0- to 14-Year Age-Group in Italy.
- Scientists Generate Human Islet Precursor Cells in Culture from Cadaveric Insulin-producing Cells.
- Islet Graft Assessment in the Edmonton Protocol.
- Effect of Long-Term Administration of alpha-Lipoic Acid on Retinal Capillary Cell Death and the Development of Retinopathy in Diabetic Rats.
- Trial results give hope for control of type 1 diabetes, Big blow in war on diabetes, At-risk teen hopes to prevent diabetes and Vaccine may prevent onset of diabetes report on results of Pancreatic beta-Cell Function and Immune Responses to Insulin After Administration of Intranasal Insulin to Humans At Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prolonged cardiac repolarisation during spontaneous nocturnal hypoglycaemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring and the Reality of Metabolic Control in Preschool Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Postprandial glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes mellitus: use of a continuous subcutaneous monitoring device.
- Insulin therapy and hypoglycaemia: the size of the problem.
- Nocturnal hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes-consequences and assessment.
- Asymptomatic hypoglycaemia: identification and impact.
- UK Children failed in diabetes test. For additional information, see National Paediatric Diabetes Audit.
- Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetic Pregnancies.
- Factors Associated With Preterm Delivery in Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Trends in Cardiovascular Complications of Diabetes.
- Conference calls for coordinated national diabetes action plans.
- Early subclinical limited axial and large joint flexibility in type 1 diabetes mellitus adolescents.
- Radial Artery Tonometry Demonstrates Arterial Stiffness in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- C-Reactive Protein Levels Following Acute Myocardial Infarction: Effect of insulin infusion and tight glycemic control.
- Two-Year Statin Therapy Does Not Alter the Progression of Intima-Media Thickness in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Without Manifest Cardiovascular Disease.
- Celiac disease is more common than previously thought.
- Celiac disease: Some people with this digestive disorder react to oats.
- Wrong diabetes message hurts children.
- Rufus the Diabetes Bear tells about one family's visit with Rufus.
- Stephens role model on and off field.
- Diabetes doesn't stop Carter.
- Marwayne boy travels to Ottawa to help find cure for diabetes.
- Diabetes fails to hold back top opera singer.
- Scientist races uphill in battle to cure diabetes.
- Diabetes: Getting the message across.
- The impact of diabetes on psychological well-being.
- Keeping their faith in the right to fast.
- Medtronic And Novo Nordisk Announce Agreement To Enhance And Simplify Diabetes Management.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My dog is crated when I am not home or not in the room. She is a Siberian Husky, and can be rather naughty at time. I made a mistake a few weeks back by letting her stay inside while I ran to the store. I came home to find what was a full bottle of glucose tabs eaten and chewed to bits on the living room floor. My husband said, "Oh, great, now she's high!"
- Last week's poll asked readers if they've ever given the wrong insulin dose. This week's poll asks readers about what they feel is the most important feature in a blood glucose monitor.
- FreeStyle Flash blood glucose monitoring system. Now test with the world's smallest meter! Free when you purchase a minimum of 50 FreeStyle test strips! Free Data Cable for your computer via mail in offer. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Complete Guide to Carb Counting, 2nd Edition by Hope Warshaw, MMSc, RD, CDE and Karmeen Kilkarni, MS, RD, CDE.
- Looking for support? Our Mailing Lists are Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.