Of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is currently accepting applications for the 2005 - 2006 National Youth Advocate. The deadline to apply is February 18, 2005.
- Tennis Players Ages 14-21 with Type 1 Diabetes Eligible for $5,000 Scholarship. See also Novo Nordisk Donnelly Awards Provide Two Scholarships.
New This Week
- Kenny is a 14-year-old soccer player who never thought about giving up soccer due to his diabetes.
- Rashid is the first insulin pumper in Bahrain.
- Max is eight and was diagnosed when he was seven.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2005 camping season include:
- Camp Conrad-Chinnock is located in the San Bernadino Mountains near Los Angeles, California, and offers summer and winter camps.
- Camp for Diabetic Children of Eastern Quebec (CEDEQ) offers camp for kids in Quebec. (Also in French.)
- Camp Fun in the Sun is a diabetes camp in the Inland Northwest.
- Camp Gilbert offers kids in South Dakota a summer camping experience.
- Camp Hertko Hollow, near Des Moines, Iowa, includes a two-story tree house and a real train caboose.
- Camp Juliet is a free overnight camp in Augusta, Georgia.
- Camp Kakhamela offers kids and families in British Columbia a wonderful camping experience.
- Camp Jordan, hosted by Makemie Woods in Barhamsville VA (near Williamsburg VA), is for kids with diabetes.
- Camp Seale Harris is a camp for children with diabetes in Alabama since 1947.
- Camp Stix an independent, community based summer camp located in Northeastern Washington, for children and teens with diabetes throughout the Northwest.
- Camp Sugar Falls is a summer day camp for kids with diabetes in Tennessee.
- The Diabetes Society of Santa Clara Valley offers Youth Day Camps and Weekend Family Camps throughout the summer and into the fall.
- DYFI camp for children with diabetes offers resident camp for kids in Indiana.
- Florida's Diabetes Camp sits on 47 acres on the shores of beautiful Lake Winona.
- Tennessee Camp for Diabetic Children offers both one and two week camping sessions.
- Join CWD Events Coordinator Laura Billetdeaux on Wednesday, February 16th for a chat about the upcoming Friends for Life: 2005 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in July 2005. The chat runs from 9pm to 10pm Eastern in the Friends for Life chat room.
- Join Debbie Butler, Social Worker with the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, for a chat about Dealing with the Diagnosis of Diabetes on Thursday, February 17th at 9pm Eastern in the Support chat room.
- Family members of children with diabetes are encouraged to participate in Trial Net studies.
- Staff Needed for the Barton Center in Massachusetts.
- Through its Cerner Diabetes Initiative, Cerner will offer a personal health record (PHR) to every child in the United States with type 1 diabetes.
- Oneida Nameplate Co. offers a collection of medical identification products, including necklaces, bracelets, and shoe tags for young children.
- Science - Charitable Choices by Neil Munro offers an assessment of the issues associated with funding research proposed by Dr. Denise Faustman and supported by the Iacocca Foundation.
- Use of Anti-CD3 Monoclonal Antibody to Induce Immune Regulation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Unravelling the pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes with proteomics-present and future directions. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Alba Therapeutics Corporation Reports the Successful Treatment of Type I Diabetes in the BB/wor Rat Model of Diabetes with Zonulin Antagonist AT-1001. See also Baltimore Biotech Gains in Diabetes Fight and Alba Therapeutics.
- Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety of exenatide in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Prevalence of diabetes-associated autoantibodies in schoolchildren: the Karlsburg type 1 diabetes risk study.
- Incidence and clinical manifestations at onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus in Galicia (Spain): 2001-2002.
- Elevated Lymphocyte Expression of CLIP Is Associated with Type 1 Diabetes and May Be a Useful Marker of Autoimmune Susceptibility.
- Experimental autoimmune diabetes: a new tool to study mechanisms and consequences of insulin-specific autoimmunity.
- Use of the Internet to search for information in type 1 diabetes children and adolescents: A cross-sectional study.
- Islet cell response in the neonatal rat after exposure to a high fat diet during pregnancy.
- Reversible cognitive deterioration after a single episode of severe hypoglycaemia: a case report is the full text report of a study previously referenced in abstract form.
- Evaluation of a self-awareness education session for youth education with type 1 diabetes.
- Treatment of the patient with diabetes: importance of maintaining target HbA(1c) levels..
- Diabetes and pregnancy; the prevention of hypoglycaemia.
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in the pediatric age group. Free full text available.
- Glycosylated haemoglobin levels and the severity of erectile function in diabetic men.
- Gluten-free diets are only option for some.
- Diabetic kids at risk for celiac disease.
- Wheat disease on the rise.
- Imagine Eating Without Wheat.
- Gender Bias in Child Growth Evaluations May Miss Disease in Girls.
- Insurance Rules Can Frustrate Diabetes Patients.
- Producer Michael Lee of member station KUT in Austin, Texas, offers this audio snapshot of Chad Rackowitz, a Texas teacher and diabetic who may owe his life to the first graders he teaches.
- Children with diabetes share their stories.
- Reporter's life-changing near-death experience.
- Avonmore girl, 5, credited with saving father's life.
- Diabetes fails to stop high-scoring Thunderbird.
- Duel Role for Fencing Teens.
- Is math important? Just ask a diabetic.
- New Course Aims To Help Diabetic Youngsters.
- Swap Ops Beat My Diabetes.
- Barton Center Launches Program for Newly Diagnosed Kids.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I had to smile as I was driving two little girls, both of whom have Type 1. One said, "Well, I had a great number and I dropped to 57." And the other, not to be outdone, said, "Well, I was 347 and I dropped to 170 in 10 minutes." I'm sure the conversation would have continued had we not reached our destination!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are in bed ill and your child with diabetes asks, "Do you have ketones?" and then offers to let you have some of insulin so you'll get better. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked about which insulin pump they use. This week's poll asks readers who administers insulin for their kids while they're at school.
- Brand New Blood Glucose Monitor from BD! Free with purchase of 50 BD Logic test strips! New BD LogicTM Blood Glucose Monitor 5-Second Test Results ... With Less Pain. The new BD LogicTM Blood Glucose Monitor is ideal if you're looking for the convenience of a small and fast system that allows you to test with less pain. No other meter gives you such fast results using such a small amount of blood. From Diabetic Express, the online store partner and a sponsor of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids, Insulin Pumps & You ... A Parent's Guide to Insulin Pump Therapy for Kids by Kathy Spain, RN, BSN, CCRN.
- Our reviews of Blood Glucose Monitors are Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:53
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.