Of Continuing Interest
- Early registration for CWD's Focus on the Future: Colorado 2005 conference ends March 1st. Come and learn about continuous glucose sensing, insulin delivery systems, pump therapy, best practices, and new medicines for people with diabetes that can help reduce the risk of complications. Plus have a great time with other CWD families.
- The Family Support Network now includes more than 525 families from 50 states and 18 countries. If you're new to diabetes, the Family Support Network will help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network.
- The new Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation provides scholarships for activities related to diabetes education, including diabetes summer camps and diabetes education conferences, for both the child with diabetes and the child's family. Scholarship assistance is available for the CWD Friends for Life 2004 summer conference at Disney World. The application deadline for scholarship funds for the Friends for Life conference is April 1, 2005.
New This Week
- dLifeTV, a new television series about living well with diabetes, premiers on Sunday, March 20th at 7pm Eastern on CNBC. dLifeTV is part of dLife, which also offers online content, email news, and dLifeRadio.
- Wear one of our "Insulin Is Not A Cure" or "I Believe" (in a cure) bracelets (or both!) to help raise money for research, scholarships, and supplies for families in need.
- Thanks to a group of families from Maryland, the Quilt for Life now has 393 panels. Please consider adding your quilt to the collection.
- Always There by Isobel Hannan was written six months after her daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
- We have several new Care Photos.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2005 camping season include:
- ADA Summer Camps in Washington State provide camping experiences for kids with diabetes.
- Camp Possibilities is an overnight camp for kids with diabetes living in Pennsylvania.
- Spring is around the corner. "Spring into Fitness" with tips and ideas to help you exercise with good blood glucose control. If you participate in sports, gym workouts, or running with your friends, come to our Sports and Exercise chat with questions that can help improve your fitness on Wednesday, March 16th at 9pm Eastern in the Sports and Exercise chat room.
- Parents of young kids with diabetes are encouraged to bring their kids for our bi-weekly Kids Chat on Sunday, March 20th, at 8:00 pm Eastern Time in the Kids Chat Room. This is a chance for school aged kids to chat online with each other while supervised by their parents.
- The IDF Diabetes Atlas shows the global reach of diabetes.
- The University of Florida is running a study about Cord Blood and Diabetes.
- We're running a Cure and Care Survey and would appreciate your feedback.
- The IDF has published a position statement about The Rights of the Child with Diabetes in the School.
- Diabetes Health magazine has an excellent collection of free Diabetes Health Charts and Educational Tables.
- Diabesity by Fran Kaufman, M.D. examines the epidemic of obesity and diabetes.
- Do microbes have a causal role in type 1 diabetes?
- Immune modulation for prevention of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Combined positivity for HLA DQ2/DQ8 and IA-2 antibodies defines population at high risk of developing type 1 diabetes.
- Mean HbA(1)c over 18 years predicts carotid intima media thickness in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Impaired microvascular function related to poor metabolic control in young patients with diabetes.
- What is hypoglycemia in patients with well-controlled type 1 diabetes treated by subcutaneous insulin pump with use of the continuous glucose monitoring system?
- Abnormal myocardial perfusion and contractile recruitment during exercise in type 1 diabetic patients.
- Prandial glucose regulation in the glucose triad: emerging evidence and insights.
- Comparison of pre-dinner regular versus pre-lunch NPH as a third insulin application in adolescents with type 1 diabetes from a Public Health Service. Free full text available in Portuguese.
- Health insurance for type 1 diabetes mellitus: US competition and French coverage.
- Body adiposity and its influence on clinical and metabolic parameters of patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in Portuguese.
- Diabetic pregnancy: outpatient follow-up in a Brazilian University Hospital. Free full text available in Portuguese.
- Celiac disease in a group of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in Portuguese.
- Digestion pill to end diabetes diets.
- Families in South Carolina are urged to support Senate Bill 144, which would allow for testing and self-administration of medication in the classroom setting or at school-related activities.
- Mother jailed because child with diabetes missed school.
- Schools should do more to help kids with Type I diabetes according to Dr. Stephen W. Ponder.
- For diabetic kids, every day is a test.
- Pharmacists help diabetics keep track of medication.
- Mom searching for diabetes cure.
- dLifeTV - First Diabetes Talk Show - To Premiere On Sunday, March 20.
- dLifeRadio's "dLife Diabetes Minute" Series Premieres On Stations In Over 170 Markets.
- First North American Encapsulated Islet Transplant without Long-term Immune Suppression into a Patient with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook by Phyllis Pellman Good is an extensive collection of slow cooker recipes with complete nutritional information.
- Eat more weigh less.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Alexis went to a birthday party that was taking a trip to the apple orchard. When she got to the stand, a lady behind the counter was describing the different type of apples. Alexis asked the lady behind the counter, "Where are the sugar-free trees?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they get their HbA1c measured. This week's poll asks readers how satisfied they are with the diabetes care their children receives while at school or daycare.
- FREE Ascensia Contour blood glucose monitor with purchase of 100 Contour test strips and with enrollment in our Patient Compliance Program. Only $28.44 per box of 50 Contour strips with membership. From Diabetic Express, the online store partner and a sponsor of Children with Diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Own Book About Pumping by Sandra J. Hollenberg.
- Our report from Italy 2004, a CWD IDYA trip to Italy, is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:05
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.