Of Continuing Interest
- Come to CWD's Cancun 2006: Focus on Best Practices conference from January 4-8, 2006 for a vacation break and to learn more about diabetes care at the beautiful Marriott CasaMagna Resort in Cancun, Mexico. Registration closes on December 4, 2005.
- The Family Support Network includes over 1,400 families from all 50 states and 41 countries who are there to help. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network will help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network.
- Diabetes Heroes, by Animas Corporation and Nicole Johnson Baker, celebrates the extraordinary efforts by individuals that make living with diabetes easier and more bearable. Heroes win $1,000 and other great prizes. Essays are due by September 15, 2005.
New This Week
- cwdMail, our free, web-based email service, was upgraded last week and now supports secure POP3, IMAP, and SMTP connections.
- The Quilt for Life now has 423 panels. We need many more. Please consider making a panel.
- Recommendations for Management of Diabetes During Ramadan.
- Fighting for Fairness: Ending Discrimination Against Students and Workers with Diabetes is a two-day conference sponsored by the American Diabetes Association, co-sponsored by the National Employment Lawyers Association, the Disability Rights, Education and Defense Fund, and the National Disability Rights Network for lawyers who want to gain a better understanding of the science of diabetes as it impacts legal rights in employment and education, and for lawyers who understand the management of diabetes but who want to learn more about education and employment disability discrimination law. The conference runs from October 20-21, 2005 at the Hilton McLean Tysons Corners in McLean, Virginia.
- Adult males with type 1 diabetes are needed for a study about Benfotiamine and Complications in New York.
- The ACCU-CHEK Multiclix lancing device offers something no other device does -- six lancets in a drum and no exposed sharps, ever.
- Diabetes-Free Kids: A Take-Charge Plan for Preventing and Treating Type-2 Diabetes in Children offers strategies for avoiding type 2 diabetes in teens and kids and improving your whole family's health at the same time.
- Strict Glycemic Control Slashes CVD Risk in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Effect of Insulin Antibodies on the Metabolic Action of Inhaled and Subcutaneous Insulin.
- What are disease perceptions and subjective treatment goals of insulin treated diabetic patients? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Where is the Cure?
- UCSF drug continues to fend off progression of type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in New Zealanders aged 0-24 years.
- Identifying risk of type 1 diabetes.
- How to make pancreatic beta cells - prospects for cell therapy in diabetes.
- Gastrointestinal stem cells. I. Pancreatic stem cells.
- Differentiation of Human Liver-Derived, Insulin-Producing Cells Toward the beta-Cell Phenotype.
- Deletion of SOCS7 leads to enhanced insulin action and enlarged islets of Langerhans. Full text available in PDF format. See also Insulin sensitivity gets a kick out of SOCS-7.
- The fusion of bone-marrow-derived proinsulin-expressing cells with nerve cells underlies diabetic neuropathy. See also Malfunctioning bone marrow cells sabotage nerve cells in diabetes.
- Genetic testing for glucokinase mutations in clinically selected patients with MODY: a worthwhile investment. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Diabetes Management in Adolescents in Poor Metabolic Control.
- Pediatric Parenting Stress Among Parents of Children with Type 1 Diabetes: The Role of Self-Efficacy, Responsibility, and Fear.
- Pharmacokinetics, Prandial Glucose Control, and Safety of Insulin Glulisine in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Influence of Glycemic Index/Load on Glycemic Response, Appetite, and Food Intake in Healthy Humans.
- Effects of an ad libitum low-glycemic load diet on cardiovascular disease risk factors in obese young adults. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Low–Glycemic-Load Diet Lowers CV Risk.
- Eating disorders in patients with type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis. See also Bulimia Nervosa Risk Elevated In Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Impact of Psychiatric Comorbidities on Readmissions for Diabetes in Youth.
- Clinical Inertia Contributes to Poor Diabetes Control in a Primary Care Setting.
- Great Strides in Therapy Fail to Reach All in Need.
- Type 2 diabetes and pregnancy.
- FDA reviews of new drugs may signal tougher scrutiny.
- The Role of Autoimmunity at Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in the Development of Thyroid and Celiac Disease and Microvascular Complications.
- I'm so glad to be gluten free.
- Camp Support: Youth at the Circle of Life retreat learn from one another how to deal with diabetes.
- Woman with diabetes hopes a dog can help her.
- Diabetes insulin pump.
- Naugatuck man fights for transplant: Blocked in state, Saguta looks to Bay State for help.
- Public is invited to panel on stem cell science, September 20, at the Mission Bay campus of the University of San Francisco.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I had just got finished checking my daughter's blood sugar and had left her bag on the washing machine. When I came back in the kitchen my non D son had her lancet and was holding it to the chicken that we were having for dinner. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I am checking the chicken's blood sugar."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you watch your teen push his peas and carrots onto his fork with his insulin pump instead of with another utensil. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have 504 plans for their children at school. This week's poll asks readers if they have ever had a microalbumin test.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the ACCU-CHEK Compact blood glucose meter. The Accu-Chek Compact is FREE with purchase of 100 Compact test strips! Never Handle Test Strips Again! Touch button and strip appears automatically. Apply small sample. Results in approximately 15 seconds. Touch button again and strip ejects automatically! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A Child in Your Care has Diabetes, 3rd Edition, by Elisa Hendel.
- Our Report from 2005 Scientific Sessions of the ADA is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.