Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to join CWD families for our Focus on Pumping Regional Conference from March 17-19, 2006 at the Philadelphia Marriott West Hotel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Our insulin is not a cure t-shirts are the perfect accompaniment to our Insulin is Not a Cure red bracelets. Proceeds help fund research (through the Diabetes Research Institute), scholarships for kids with diabetes (through the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation), and diabetes supplies for families in need (through the Supplies for Children with Diabetes Foundation). Use our order form to get yours.
New This Week
- Due to the extensive damage caused by Hurricane Wilma, the Cancun 2006: Focus on Best Practices conference has been rescheduled to January 3-7, 2007.
- Later tonight, dLife TV will air a show about relationships and will include a segment about Children with Diabetes, the 2005 CWD summer Friends for Life conference, and the Quilt for Life. dLife TV airs at 7pm Eastern on CNBC.
- Yesterday, on Saturday, October 29th, cwdMail was moved to a new, more capable server.
- Our new CWD Forums have replaced the old Message Board system. The new CWD Forums offer much greater flexibility than the previous Message Board, including RSS syndication of new messages.
- Cross Takes Diabetes to the Top of the World.
- Matt, 15, and his sister Natasha, 3, both have diabetes.
- The Quilt for Life now has 427 panels. We need many more. Please consider making a panel.
- Positive Implications of Initiating Insulin Pump Therapy at Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Please let us know about your familiarity with Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet.
- The Diabetic Wristband company sells flexible, colored, silicone medical identification bracelets.
- Islet Cell Hormonal Responses to Hypoglycemia After Human Islet Transplantation for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Gene therapy for type 1 diabetes: a proposal to move to the next level.
- Color visual evoked potentials in children with type 1 diabetes: relationship to metabolic control.
- Decreased Endogenous Secretory Advanced Glycation End Product Receptor in Type 1 Diabetic Patients: Its possible association with diabetic vascular complications.
- Increased risk of diabetes among relatives of female insulin-treated patients diagnosed at 15-34 years of age.
- Exposure to Farming Environments in Early Life and Type 1 Diabetes: A Case-Control Study.
- Complex analysis of the physical metabolic and genetic state in children of mothers with type 1 diabetes.
- Risk of Diabetic Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes Is Associated With Functional Polymorphisms in RANTES Receptor Gene (CCR5). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fat food for a bad mood. Could we treat and prevent depression in Type 2 diabetes by means of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids? A review of the evidence.
- High Incidence of Diabetes in Men With Sleep Complaints or Short Sleep Duration.
- Accuracy of Newer-Generation Home Blood Glucose Meters in a Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) Inpatient Exercise Study.
- Factors associated with glycaemic outcome of childhood diabetes care in Denmark.
- The relationship between parental perceptions of diabetes and glycaemic control.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion is sometimes a good choice in case of poorly regulated diabetes mellitus type I.
- The insulin pump: why not use it for every type I diabetic patient?
- Validation of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS) by the Use of Two CGMS Simultaneously in Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Is pregnancy a risk factor for microvascular complications? The EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
- A Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effect of Real-Time Telemedicine Support on Glycemic Control in Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes (ISRCTN 46889446).
- Evaluation of a programme of group visits and computer-assisted consultations in the treatment of adolescents with Type 1 diabetes.
- Short-term effects of cognitive behavioural group training (CBGT) in adult Type 1 diabetes patients in prolonged poor glycaemic control. A randomized controlled trial.
- Urinary albumin levels in the normal range determine arterial wall thickness in adults with Type 2 diabetes: a FIELD substudy.
- Management of children and adolescents with diabetes mellitus: personal experience.
- Diabetes Website Review: www.2aida.org. See also the AIDA web site.
- Resistance to Insulin Therapy Among Patients and Providers: Results of the cross-national Diabetes Attitudes, Wishes, and Needs (DAWN) study reports on the reluctance of health care providers to prescribe insulin to adults with type 2 diabetes.
- Prevalence of celiac disease in Brazilian children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Celiac disease in children and adolescents with Down syndrome. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Reproductive aspects of celiac disease.
- Mother found guilty of murder for daughter's diabetic death. See also Detective: Mother treated daughter's potentially fatal symptoms like the flu, Diabetes expert says girl's vomiting probably lasted days.
- State orders diabetes training. (Free registration required.)
- Mother says school puts diabetic son in danger.
- 'Quiet hero' saves family in traffic.
- Diabetes – even young children are affected.
- Meridian family joins diabetes study.
- Local teenager battles medical condition in aftermath of Hurricane Wilma.
- FDA reviewer battles the drug his boss approved.
- Pfizer and Sanofi-Aventis Statement on Status of Exubera®.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
One day in my daughters' grade 2 class the teacher was discussing how petting an animal can help lower blood pressure. However, my daughters' best friend misunderstood the teacher. She told her teacher, in quite a serious tone, that it was a good thing that Amber had three cats as it would really help Amber lower her blood sugar level.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter asks, "Can I get some ketchup to go with my test strips?" instead of her chicken strips. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they use control solution to check their blood glucose meter. This week's poll asks readers what they usually use to treat hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the Ascensia Contour blood glucose monitor which is free with purchase of 100 Contour test strips and enrollment in our Patient Compliance Program. Only $28.44 per box of 50 Contour strips with membership! Do you have insurance? Your diabetes supplies may be free. Visit us at www.DiabeticCareServices.com. Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- Our UK Information section is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.