Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to come to the Friends for Life: Orlando 2007 annual conference at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 11 - 15, 2007. The Parent and Adult Program and Youth Program are now online. Kids arriving early can join in Chris Dudley's Basketball Clinic on Tuesday, July 10th. Registration for the basketball clinic is limited to 60 participants, and you must be registered for the Friends for Life conference before you can register for the basketball clinic. Families are encouraged to sign up for focus groups as soon as possible, as slots fill up very quickly.
- Make plans to attend our first Canadian conference -- Focus on Pumping: Toronto 2007 from August 17-19, 2007 at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Special guests include country music star George Canyon, Sebastien Sasseville, the first Canadian with diabetes to successfully climb Peak Lenin, and Jen Alexander, an extraordinary swimmer.
- Preliminary information about our Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2008 conference is now online, including registration forms.
New This Week
- We've updated our page about Continuous Glucose Sensors.
- The Family Support Network has over 3,025 families from all 50 states and 69 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- Owen is 10 1/2 and lives in British Columbia, Canada.
- Stephen Steele became the first Type I diabetic airline captain in the world.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I hear that diabetes treatment has really come a long way in the past 25 years. What was the typical blood glucose level and A1c level 25 years ago?
See the answer.
- The Quilt for Life now has 557 panels. The Quilt for Life will next be displayed at CWD's 2007 Friends for Life Conference from July 11-15, 2007 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Please contribute your square.
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. These camps have updated schedules:
- Camp Ho Mita Koda's annual Bicycle Adventure is a week-long bicycle and camping adventure for teens with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Camp WeCanDo is located in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina.
- CaseMed Diabetes Clinical Simulator focuses on type 2 diabetes and offers CME for physicians.
- There are several new diabetes-related videos online, including:
- Insulin Pump shows a man changing his insulin pump infusion set.
- Dinner Bolus is about a young woman checking her blood sugar and bolusing for a 70 gram spaghetti dinner.
- Families are invited to participate in an online Continuous Glucose Sensor Survey being run by a team from the University of Virginia.
- Summer Camp Counselor with Diabetes and/or Insulin Pump Experience Needed.
- I-Port is a 90-degree indwelling catheter which eliminates injection pain for kids who use injection therapy.
- The Diabetes Travel Guide, 2nd Edition is a handy book for anyone who travels with diabetes.
- The CADEX® 12 Alarm Watch can help you or your child remember to check glucose levels and bolus.
- Live encapsulated porcine islets from a type 1 diabetic patient 9.5 yr after xenotransplantation. See also LCT Reports Major Step Forward for Islet Transplantation in Diabetes Patient, DiabeCell - Living Cell Technologies, and 10 years on, pig cells still fighting diabetes.
- Evaluation of promoters for driving efficient transgene expression in neonatal porcine islets.
- Glucose responsive insulin production from human embryonic germ (EG) cell derivatives.
- Islet cell transplantation today.
- Prediction and Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes: Progress, Problems, and Prospects.
- Association of immune mediators at diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes with later clinical remission.
- Spatiotemporal Trends and Age-Period-Cohort Modeling of the Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes Among Children Aged <15 Years in Norway 1973–1982 and 1989–2003.
- Effect Of Body Mass Index On Lifetime Risk For Diabetes Mellitus In The United States.
- Intramuscular injection of islet neogenesis-associated protein peptide stimulates pancreatic islet neogenesis in healthy dogs.
- GAD65 autoantibody epitopes in adult patients with latent autoimmune diabetes following GAD65 vaccination.
- Insulin-Expressing Colonies Developed From Murine Embryonic Stem Cell–Derived Progenitors.
- Ischemic Vascular Damage Can Be Repaired by Healthy, but Not Diabetic, Endothelial Progenitor Cells.
- Pharmacological treatment of diabetic retinopathy.
- Genome-Wide Linkage Analyses to Identify Loci for Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Acute Hyperglycemia Induces a Global Downregulation of Gene Expression in Adipose Tissue and Skeletal Muscle of Healthy Subjects.
- Subclinical right ventricular dysfunction in diabetes mellitus-an ultrasonic strain/strain rate study.
- Comparison of insulin detemir and insulin glargine in subjects with Type 1 diabetes using intensive insulin therapy.
- PREDICTIVE™- a global, prospective observational study to evaluate insulin detemir treatment in types 1 and 2 diabetes: baseline characteristics and predictors of hypoglycaemia from the European cohort.
- Impact of breast-feeding on psychomotor and neuropsychological development in children of diabetic mothers: role of the late neonatal period.
- Variability in the Relationship between Mean Plasma Glucose and HbA1c: Implications for the Assessment of Glycemic Control.
- Nocturnal hypoglycaemia in Type 1 diabetic patients, assessed with continuous glucose monitoring: frequency, duration and associations.
- Plasma glucagon decreases during night-time sleep in Type 1 diabetic patients and healthy control subjects.
- Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in Children in Northern Finland.
- DKA, CVL and DVT. Increased risk of deep venous thrombosis in children with diabetic ketoacidosis and femoral central venous lines.
- Early atherosclerosis in childhood type 1 diabetes: role of raised systolic blood pressure in the absence of dyslipidaemia.
- Relationship between markers of metabolic control and inflammation on severity of periodontal disease in patients with diabetes mellitus.
- The Effect of Cinnamon on A1C Among Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Maternal Glycemic Control and Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetic Pregnancy; A randomized trial of insulin aspart versus human insulin in 322 pregnant women.
- Association between glycaemic control and serum lipids profile in type 2 diabetic patients: HbA(1c) predicts dyslipidaemia.
- Combination therapy with an ACE inhibitor and an angiotensin receptor blocker for diabetic nephropathy: a meta-analysis.
- The influence of diabetes upon adolescent and young adult development: a qualitative study.
- A 6-Month, Randomized, Double-Masked, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Effects of the Protein Kinase C-ß Inhibitor Ruboxistaurin on Skin Microvascular Blood Flow and Other Measures of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.
- Metabolic effects of two years of exenatide treatment on diabetes, obesity, and hepatic biomarkers in patients with type 2 diabetes: An interim analysis of data from the open-label, uncontrolled extension of three double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
- Screening for Celiac Disease in Family Members: Is Follow-up Testing Necessary?
- Pre-endoscopy serological testing for coeliac disease: evaluation of a clinical decision tool. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Commentary: Reaching a milestone in diagnosing coeliac disease.
- Enamel hypoplasia in coeliac children: a potential clinical marker of early diagnosis.
- Billion-dollar diabetes boy.
- At camp, she was normal.
- Carbo-loading tricky for Freeman.
- Iditarod Musher Bruce Linton writes about his experience.
- Long-term survivor poster girl for diabetes.
- Emory To Develop Islet Transplant Technology.
- Share Banting's epiphany; Visit the London bedroom where Canada's father of insulin had his brilliant insight.
- Diabetes in children: A call for the whole family to eat better.
- Doyle visit inspires mom to fight for diabetes' cure.
- Scientist at work: Richard DiMarchi.
- OneTouch® Meter Upgrade Offered To OneTouch® Users At No Charge.
- Medtronic Launches New Guardian® Real-time System With Miniature Transmitter And Carelink™ Personal Software.
- FDA Approves New Medtronic Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices For Children And Teenagers.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Recognizes NBA Rookie Adam Morrison for His Commitment to Raising Diabetes Awareness.
- JANUVIA Approved in EU for Type 2 Diabetes.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old kindergartner wears her diabetes "bracelet" around her ankle because it's more comfortable and doesn't get in her way. One day at school, her friend asked her, "How do you know which leg has diabetes?" My daughter laughingly replied, "My whole BODY has diabetes!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check blood sugars during the middle of the night. This week's poll asks readers who use insulin pumps how often they change their infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Conquering Diabetes by Anne Peters, M.D.
- Our Report from ADA 2006 is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:17
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.