Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Pumping conference from October 5-7, 2007 at the Marriott Minneapolis Southwest in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
- CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2008 conference is a great escape from winter's chill. The last day for early registration is August 31, 2007. The room block is 75% full. Please make your reservation and register soon if you are planning on coming.
New This Week
- We have a report from CWD's Focus on Pumping: Toronto 2007 conference.
- Parents and young adults with diabetes are strongly encouraged to take the DAWN Youth survey. The DAWN Youth 'WebTalk survey' is an international online survey for young people with diabetes, parents/caregivers of children with diabetes and health professionals involved in caring for people with diabetes.
- Preliminary information about our Friends for Life Annual Conference 2008, to be held at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at Sea World in Orlando, Florida, from July 23-27, 2008, is now online, including registration information. Note that hotel reservations can be made beginning September 1, 2007.
- With school beginning soon, parents are highly encouraged to download "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed. A Guide for School Personnel" from the National Diabetes Education Program. Our Diabetes at School section has more information and resources.
- The Family Support Network has over 3,315 families from all 50 states and 72 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- Sarah is 10 and has an insulin pump.
- Gillian is 8 and lives in Pennsylvania.
- Charlotte is 8 and lives in the UK.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since a severe low, my teen daughter has been letting her blood sugars run high. She's afraid and in a rut from which she cannot pull herself. What should we do?
See the answer.
- The Quilt for Life now has 596 panels.
- Join Crystal Jackson of the American Diabetes Association for a chat about going back to school on Wednesday, August 29th at 9pm Eastern in the Back to School chat room.
- The 2007 AACE Guidelines are now online.
- We've updated our list of diabetes-related videos online.
- Parents of Diabetics is a support group for families in western New York.
- We're running a survey about your experiences living with diabetes in the US.
- Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for ONE can help singles prepare healthy meals.
- August & Summer's Low Sugar Shoppe is a Canadian online store that offers an assortment of sugar-free candy and chocolates. Started by a family after their child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Also available in French.
- Worldwide childhood type 1 diabetes incidence – what can we learn from epidemiology?
- Immune intervention at diagnosis – should we treat children to preserve beta-cell function?
- Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice.
- Psychological stress and the risk of diabetes-related autoimmunity: a review article.
- Identifying children at particular risk of long-term diabetes complications.
- The role of Islet Neogenesis-Associated Protein (INGAP) in islet neogenesis.
- Intracytoplasmic cytokine levels and neutrophil functions in early clinical stage of type 1 diabetes.
- Roles of cytokines in the pathogenesis and therapy of type 1 diabetes.
- Treg in type 1 diabetes.
- Deleting islet autoimmunity.
- Dynamic changes in CD4(+) CD25(+high) T cell apoptosis after the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- The role of vascular endothelial growth factor, tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin-6 in pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy.
- alpha-Linolenic acid attenuates high glucose-induced apoptosis in cultured human umbilical vein endothelial cells via PI3K/Akt/eNOS pathway.
- Aortic Elastic Properties Are Related to Left Ventricular Diastolic Function in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Inflammation and endothelial activation is evident at birth in offspring of mothers with type 1 diabetes.
- Decreased optical coherence tomography-measured pericentral retinal thickness in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1 with minimal diabetic retinopathy.
- Viral infection--a cure for type 1 diabetes?
- Association of sleep duration with type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance.
- Childhood predictors of young onset type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring with a Thin-Film Optical Sensor.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion attenuated glycemic instability in preschool children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Medtronic MiniMed Gold Continuous Glucose Monitoring System: An Effective Means to Discover Hypo- and Hyperglycemia in Children Under 7 Years of Age.
- Can we prevent diabetic ketoacidosis in children?
- The role of new technologies in treating children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Comparison of oral insulin spray and subcutaneous regular insulin at mealtime in type 1 diabetes.
- Maternal Parenting Style and Adjustment in Adolescents with Type I Diabetes.
- Reactions to Health-Related Social Control in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Determinants of progression from microalbuminuria to proteinuria in patients who have type 1 diabetes and are treated with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.
- Management of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Oat products in gluten free diet.
- Risk of Pancreatitis in 14,000 Individuals With Celiac Disease.
- MNBT: Diabetes Discoveries.
- LifeScan to make new meter for Medtronic Paradigm pumps.
- U.S. Ironman Jay Hewitt Competes to Defeat Diabetes.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
This morning Taylor noticed a jet stream in the sky from a plane that had flown by recently. She said, "Hey Mom, that must be where the space ship Lantus took off." It took me a moment to realize she thought she was looking at the jet stream where the Space Shuttle Atlantis had taken off.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are talking about a friend's car problem as "He needs to fix his carbohydrates" instead of carburetor. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers with diabetes how often they check their blood sugar before they drive. This week's poll asks readers how many times they have had to use glucagon.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- With kids heading back to school, our Sample 504 Plans are Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Monday April 13, 2009 09:24:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.