Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Pumping conference from October 5-7, 2007 at the Marriott Minneapolis Southwest in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
- CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2008 conference is a great escape from winter's chill. The room block is 90% full. Please make your reservation and register soon if you are planning on coming.
- Preliminary information about our Friends for Life Annual Conference 2008, to be held at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at Sea World in Orlando, Florida, from July 23-27, 2008, is now online, including registration information. You may now make your hotel reservations.
New This Week
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- 2007 CWD Foundation Holiday Cards are now available.
- Parents and young adults with diabetes are strongly encouraged to take the DAWN Youth survey. The DAWN Youth 'WebTalk survey' is an international online survey for young people with diabetes, parents/caregivers of children with diabetes and health professionals involved in caring for people with diabetes.
- Inspired by Diabetes is a global campaign asking people with diabetes, as well as their family, friends and healthcare professionals, to express how diabetes has impacted their lives Ś and share those stories with others around the world.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our son turns 18 in August and is not ready to "face the world." Are there any transitional type camps or facilities to help him become more independent?
See the answer.
- The Quilt for Life now has 596 panels.
- Pump Wear Inc. is sponsoring a unique Family Weekend at the Double H Ranch.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux, CWD's Vice President, Education and Programs, on Tuesday, September 18th at 9pm Eastern in the Friends for Life Room Chat Room for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2008 conference.
- Supplement: State of the Science on Diabetes Self Management: Strategies for Nursing is part of the June 2007 issue of the American Journal of Nursing. Included are a collection of online continuing education courses.
- Dr. Sheri Colberg-Ochs, author of The Diabetic Athlete, is looking for athletes of any age with diabetes to complete a survey for use in the next edition of her book.
- Our sample 504 plans can help you ensure that your child receives excellent diabetes care while at school.
- The 4-Ingredient Diabetes Cookbook offers delicious, simple, and easy-to-follow recipes.
- Invisapump is a novel insulin pump case.
- Recovery from diabetes in mice by ▀ cell regeneration. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Prediction of type 1 diabetes among siblings of affected children and in the general population.
- Modestly increased beta cell apoptosis but no increased beta cell replication in recent-onset type 1 diabetic patients who died of diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Circulating CD4+CD25 high regulatory T cells and natural killer T cells in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes or with diabetes-associated autoantibodies.
- CD40 is required for development of islet inflammation in the RIP-CD154 transgenic mouse model of type 1 diabetes.
- Evidence of Increased Inflammation and Microcirculatory Abnormalities in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Role in Microvascular Complications.
- The Role of Low Energy Expenditure and Sitting on Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease.
- Association Between Low-Grade Systemic Inflammation and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Among Men and Women from the ATTICA Study.
- Immunologic Responses to Exogenous Insulin. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of inhaled insulin in diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and economic evaluation.
- 3-Month Results from Denmark within the Globally Prospective and Observational Study to Evaluate Insulin Detemir Treatment in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: The PREDICTIVE Study.
- Insulin Pump Therapy During Ramadan Fasting. See also Recommendations for Management of Diabetes During Ramadan.
- Adherence behaviours in Taiwanese children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Delayed menarche in young German women with type 1 diabetes mellitus: recent results from the DPV diabetes documentation and quality management system.
- Recruitment to a clinical trial improves glycemic control in patients with diabetes.
- Diabetes-specific cardiomyopathy in type 1 diabetes mellitus: no evidence for its occurrence in the era of intensive insulin therapy.
- Changes in glycaemic control and risk of coronary artery disease in type 1 diabetes mellitus: findings from the Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study (EDC).
- Bone size normalizes by adolescence in type 1 diabetics references Bone Size Normalizes With Age in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes, previously reported.
- Antioxidant and Radical Scavenging Activity of Honey in Endothelial Cell Cultures (EA.hy926).
- Accuracy of serologic tests and HLA-DQ typing for diagnosing celiac disease.
- Multiplex assays to diagnose celiac disease.
- Diagnostic accuracy of IgA anti-tissue transglutaminase antibody assays in celiac disease patients with selective IgA deficiency.
- Waiter, Please Hold the Wheat.
- Chesco Mom Says Private School Kicked Out Her Diabetic Son. This highlights the problem of for-profit schools.
- Mothers of diabetic children in Corona start day care petition online.
- Schools to boost diabetes care.
- Great Kids: Sheboygan Falls sisters become local face of Juvenile Diabetes.
- The 'diabetic rock star'. See also DiabeticRockstar.com.
- Living with diabetes.
- Alba Therapeutics Announces IND for Beta Cell Preservation in Type 1 Diabetes using AT-1001.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My two-year-old son was taking a bath and pretending to drink from a cup. He then handed the cup to me and said, "Do you want a drink mommy. It's got no sugar and no carbs."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child refers to sequel movies as "Type 2." See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they first found CWD. This week's poll asks families where their child checks while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Can Mom Have a Piece of My Birthday Cake? written by Rochelle L. Stern, illustrated by Rosalind Orland.
- Our page about Specialty Foods is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:19
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.