Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2008 conference is now sold out.
- Preliminary information about our Friends for Life Annual Conference 2008, to be held at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at Sea World in Orlando, Florida, from July 23-27, 2008, is now online, including registration information. You may now make your hotel reservations.
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- Many activities are planned around the globe for World Diabetes Day -- November 14, 2007.
New This Week
- We report on the seventh annual Diabetes Technology Meeting, just concluded in San Francisco, California.
- CWD's "Insulin Is Not a Cure" T-Shirts make great holiday gifts. They're now available in white text on black or black text on white.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen son has had severe cramping in his legs, thighs, groin, arms and calves after his last two football games. How can he prevent them?
See the answer.
- From the CWD Forums:
Disclosing child with diabetes to new employer
- The Quilt for Life now has 598 panels. Please consider adding your panel in time for the showing on the National Mall in August 2008.
- Parents and young adults with diabetes are strongly encouraged to take the DAWN Youth survey. The DAWN Youth 'WebTalk survey' is an international online survey for young people with diabetes, parents/caregivers of children with diabetes and health professionals involved in caring for people with diabetes.
- Get Fit, Get Right is a new online program designed to reduce obesity in teens and prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Immune intervention at diagnosis--should we treat children to preserve beta-cell function?
- Metabolic aspects of pig-to-monkey (Macaca fascicularis) islet transplantation: implications for translation into clinical practice.
- Putative Delays in Interstitial Fluid (ISF) Glucose Kinetics Can Be Attributed to the Glucose Sensing Systems Used to Measure Them Rather Than the Delay in ISF Glucose Itself.
- Worldwide childhood type 1 diabetes incidence--what can we learn from epidemiology?
- Differential diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: which genetic syndromes need to be considered?
- Identifying children at particular risk of long-term diabetes complications.
- Sequence of progression of albuminuria and decreased GFR in persons with type 1 diabetes: a cohort study.
- Doppler ultrasonography imaging of hemodynamic alteration of retrobulbar circulation in type 1 diabetic children and adolescents without retinopathy.
- Captopril Inhibits Capillary Degeneration in the Early Stages of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Insulin Resistance And Progression To Type 1 Diabetes In The European Nicotinamide Diabetes Intervention Trial (ENDIT).
- Insulin administration may trigger pancreatic beta-cell destruction in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Role of Low Energy Expenditure and Sitting in Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease.
- The role of new technologies in treating children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Combined Insulin Pump Therapy with Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Significantly Improves Glycemic Control Compared to Multiple Daily Injection Therapy in Pump Naīve Patients with Type 1 Diabetes; Single Center Pilot Study Experience.
- Pediatric Quality of Life in Transitioning to the Insulin Pump: Does Prior Regimen Make a Difference?
- The Decision Not to Drive During Hypoglycemia in Patients With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes According to Hypoglycemia Awareness.
- New insights into managing the risk of hypoglycaemia associated with intermittent high-intensity exercise in individuals with type 1 diabetes mellitus : implications for existing guidelines.
- Continuous Glucose Sensors: Continuing Questions about Clinical Accuracy.
- Continuous Glucose Profiles in Healthy Subjects under Everyday Life Conditions and after Different Meals.
- The Role of Prandial Pramlintide in the Treatment of Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Pramlintide Improved Glycemic Control and Reduced Weight in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Using Basal Insulin.
- Can we prevent diabetic ketoacidosis in children?
- Prerequisites for age-appropriate education in type 1 diabetes: a model programme for paediatric diabetes education in Germany.
- Anxiety, depressive, and posttraumatic stress symptoms in mothers of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Changes in the Glycemic Profiles of Women With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes During Pregnancy.
- The effectiveness of insulin initiation regimens in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a large national medical records review study comparing a basal insulin analogue to premixed insulin.
- The Effect of Glucosamine on Serum HDL Cholesterol and Apolipoprotein AI Levels in People With Diabetes.
- Consumption of pure oats by individuals with celiac disease: A position statement by the Canadian Celiac Association.
- A prospective comparative study of five measures of gluten-free diet adherence in adults with coeliac disease.
- Activists Fight to Rewrite Disabilities Act.
- Life with diabetes: Outliving the prognosis.
- Leading by example.
- Stevenson legit contenders for Cup.
- McGee Remembered For Helping Juvenile Diabetes.
- Group supports students with diabetes.
- Treating Diabetes and Understanding Cultures.
- Device to keep kids with diabetes safe.
- Sensors Latest Way To Monitor Blood Sugar.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old son, Noah, was just diagnosed a month ago. The other day when we were discussing Halloween, I asked him if he still wanted to go trick-or-treating even though he could not have all that candy. He replied, "Of course, but when I get home, can I sell my candy to the kids who don't have diabetes?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child has drawn trucks and motorcycles with the words "One Touch" with his Crayola window writers. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how much time per day they spend on diabetes-related tasks. This week's poll asks readers what they usually use to treat hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns.
- The Report from the 2007 Clinical Diabetes Technology Meeting is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:19
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.