Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Friends for Life Annual Conference 2008, to be held at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at Sea World in Orlando, Florida, from July 23-27, 2008.
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008. Family scholarships are available from the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
New This Week
- Families coming to CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2008 conference have a choice of 44 Focus Groups on Wednesday, July 23rd, as well as six receptions. Read the focus group descriptions and sign up for the focus groups you want to attend. Focus group registrations are first come, first served, and many focus groups fill up very quickly.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2008? Consider an insulin pump trial. Pump companies Animas, Disetronic, Insulet, Medtronic Diabetes, Nipro Diabetes and Smiths Medical offer would-be pumpers a chance to try their products using saline. And if you already use a pump, here's a chance to try out a new one. A prescription from your physician is required and must include the wording "insulin pump trial with saline." If you plan to try more than one pump, be sure to bring a prescription for each. This opportunity is by appointment only. Appointments will fill up quickly. For more information, contact:
Val Valentino at 1-877-YES PUMP x1225 or email@example.com
- Disetronic Medical Systems Inc/Roche Diagnostics
Terri Richert at 317-521-0268 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medtronic Diabetes
Julie Sweidan at 1-800-999-9859 x4514 or email@example.com
- Nipro Diabetes
Norma Gonzalez at 1-888-651-7867 x872 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- OmniPod Insulin Management System
Janet Tedeschi 1-781-457-4804 or OmniPodTrials@insulet.com
- Smiths Medical
Marcela Naranjo at 651-628-7374 or
- Last week's poll asked readers how many times have they or their child has had a retinal photograph as part of their diabetes eye care. This week's poll asks parents how soon after their child's diagnosis they began going out again with their spouse.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns.
- The Diabetes Emergency Kit page is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
This morning Taylor noticed a jet stream in the sky from a plane that had flown by recently. She said, "Hey Mom, that must be where the space ship Lantus took off." It took me a moment to realize she thought she was looking at the jet stream where the Space Shuttle Atlantis had taken off.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter asks, "Can I get some ketchup to go with my test strips?" instead of her chicken strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My young teen son is experiencing very high blood sugars around 2 or 3 a.m. We've tried increasing his insulin, but he's still high. Is this related to his growth hormones? He has grown about 6 inches in a year.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Wish us luck, we hired a real babysitter tonight!
Quilt for Life
- We added one new panel to the Quilt for Life last week, bringing the total to 615. Please consider adding your panel in time for the showing on the National Mall in August 2008.
- Join CWD's VP of Conferences and Education on Wednesday, May 7th for a chat about the upcoming Friends for Life conference. The chat will begin at 9pm Eastern in the Friends for Life chat room.
- What is the cause of 'dead in bed' syndrome?
Continuing Medical Education
- Guidelines Issued for Medical Care of Pregnant Women With Preexisting Diabetes. Free registration required.
Advocacy, Events, and Support
- The American Diabetes Association is accepting applications for the 2008-2009 National Youth Advocate. The National Youth Advocate position is open to young people ages 12-17 years old with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Candidates should have either experience or a willingness to speak publicly at various events throughout the year, and should be available to travel with a parent or guardian.
- Towards an Artificial Pancreas: An FDA-NIH-JDRF Workshop will be held on July 21 and 22, 2008, at the Lister Hill Auditorium on the NIH Campus in Bethesda, Maryland. The workshop is open to the public.
- The 2nd Annual DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge is a competition designed to foster innovation in diabetes design and encourage creative new tools that will improve life with diabetes. See also JDRF on Diabetes Design.
Surveys and Studies
- Families from Florida are encouraged to take a few minutes to complete an online survey by the American Diabetes Association about diabetes care in school.
From the Diabetes Blogosphere
- My Big, Healthy Diabetes Wedding.
- Best Advice You Won't Find in a Book.
- dTOEs: Second Edition by Kerri Morrone will make you laugh.
- Bernard Farrell shows the new Dexcom Open Choice, comparing calibration with the Dexcom Seven.
- Are Mandatory Registries for Diabetes Patients Worthwhile?
- Fully Automated Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Versus Semiautomated Hybrid Control in Pediatric Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Using an Artificial Pancreas.
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes: the time has come.
- Modulating the natural history of type 1 diabetes in children at high genetic risk by mucosal insulin immunization.
- Vitamin D and the Diabetic Patient. Free registration required.
- Genetic and humoral autoimmunity markers of type 1 diabetes: from theory to practice. Free Portuguese language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Has Time Come for New Goals in Human Islet Transplantation?
- Combined Islet and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Allotransplantation: A Clinical Pilot Trial to Induce Chimerism and Graft Tolerance.
- Islet Transplantation for Brittle Type 1 Diabetes: The UIC Protocol.
- Glycated Albumin is a Better Indicator for Glucose Excursion than Glycated Hemoglobin in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Differences in Metabolites in Pain-Processing Brain Regions in Patients With Diabetes and Painful Neuropathy.
- Heritability of proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
- Intracellular signalling by C-peptide. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Potencial role of stem cell therapy in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A comparison of lispro and regular insulin for the management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in pregnancy.
- Respiratory infection recurrence and passive smoking in early atherosclerosis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Glucagon as a treatment of severe hypoglycemia: safe and efficacious but underutilized.
- Presence of Diabetic Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus in Youth: The Search for Diabetes in Youth Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Adolescent Use of Insulin and Patient-Controlled Analgesia Pump Technology: A 10-Year Food and Drug Administration Retrospective Study of Adverse Events. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impaired stroke volume and aerobic capacity in female adolescents with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- The effect of periodontal treatment on metabolic control of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Assessment of main metabolic substrates utilization during aerobic phase of physical exercises in patients with first diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus and in healthy persons.
- Gas exchange function of the lungs in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Accelerated Tooth Eruption in Children With Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adult or slim type 2 diabetes mellitus? Free Portuguese language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Routine glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibody (GADA) testing: patients' perspective.
- The risks of non-traumatic lower extremity amputations in patients with type 1 diabetes – a population-based cohort study in Sweden.
- Preventing Left Ventricular Hypertrophy By Ace Inhibition In Hypertensive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: A Prespecified Analysis Of The BENEDICT Trial.
- Cost-effectiveness of Intensified versus conventional multifactorial intervention in type 2 diabetes: Results and projections from the steno-2 study.
- When challah becomes the bread of affliction.
- Celiac disease mystery can be tough to crack.
- More than 300 expected to walk for celiac disease research.
Legal and Legislative
- New law gives diabetic students control; Monitoring blood-sugar levels won't require trip to nurse's office.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Broncos quarterback Cutler diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. See also Diabetes education group leader contacts QB and In his own words: Wade Wilson.
- Diabetes cases merit attention, leader says.
- Endocrinologist turned author, TV host and patient education advocate.
- Challenge yourself: While managing diabetes, Chelsea Miller reaches for the stars.
- Thriving With Diabetes Is Possible, Says Sacramento Teen.
- Pregnancy counseling for diabetic women and girls -- before pregnancy.
- Diabetic doc out to show disease can't run his life.
- ICS students explore frontiers: First Place, "My Brother, The Diabetic", Michelle Reidy, Grade 9.
- Families demand pumps (in Australia).
- Make-A-Wish Foundation buys service dog for diabetic boy.
- Rescued mother: 'Teach your child speed dial'.
- Medtronic Announces FDA Clearance of New OneTouch® Ultralink™ Blood Glucose Meter; Medtronic and LifeScan to Co-Market Integrated Diabetes Management System with Wireless Blood Glucose Data Transmission. See also The NEW OneTouch® UltraLink™ Meter.
- A Priceless Mother's Day Gift For A Diabetic Son -- Novelist Brenda Novak's 4th Annual Online Auction Adds Diabetes Research Institute as Beneficiary.
- Introduction of the Amigo Insulin Pump Offers a Lifestyle Where 'Life Has No Limits'.
- MyCareTeam™ Receives US FDA Clearance for Diabetes Management Software.
- Studies test new approaches to islet transplantation.
We've rearranged the order of topics in the What's New.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.