Of Continuing Interest
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008. Family scholarships are available from the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
New This Week
- Seems Like Just Yesterday is by diabetes dad Tom Karlya.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have their most recent basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down. This week's poll asks readers how they usually check for ketones.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Yes I Can! Yes You Can! by Denny Dressman and Jay Leeuwenburg.
- Our Care Suggestions are Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I am 14 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in November 2007. Sometime in December I babysat for two little girls I know very well from church. When I told them I had diabetes now, the mother tried to help them understand and explained to them I did shots like their grandpa. The youngest of the two then replied, "Does she have false teeth, too?" I laughed so hard! She says she has a babysitter with the tee-tees!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son has a painful wisdom tooth so he needs them all pulled. The oral surgeon wants consent from my son's doctor, as he believes my son may not heal properly because of his diabetes. Is this common?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Quilt for Life
- We added 22 new panels to the Quilt for Life last week, bringing the total to 652. The complete Quilt for Life will be shown at Friends for Life: Orlando 2008 from July 23 to 25, 2008, and in Washington, DC on August 4 and 5, 2008.
- National Diabetes Statistics, 2007 offers an updated look at the prevalence and impact of diabetes in the United States.
- The American Diabetes Association offers Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes–2008. Free full text available in PDF format.
Surveys and Studies
- The University of Florida in Gainesville is recruiting for a study of Neulasta in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Researchers at the MGH Diabetes Research Center are recruiting subjects to test an Automated Closed-Loop Glucose Control System for Type 1 Diabetics.
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
Products and Books
- Securitee Blanket is a neoprene wrap for insulin vials to protect them in case they fall.
- Differentiation of mouse nuclear transfer embryonic stem cells into functional pancreatic beta cells.
- Participation in pediatric epidemiologic research: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study experience.
- Characterization of the humoral immune response to islet antigen 2 in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Reference value of transcutaneous oxygen measurement in diabetic patients compared with nondiabetic patients.
- Dirty electricity elevates blood sugar among electrically sensitive diabetics and may explain brittle diabetes.
- Reduced short-term complexity of heart rate and blood pressure dynamics in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1: multiscale entropy analysis.
- Primary prevention of diabetes mellitus type 2 and cardiovascular diseases using a cognitive behavior program aimed at lifestyle changes in people at risk: design of a randomized controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The influence of type-1 diabetes mellitus on dentition and oral health in children and adolescents. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The impact of type 1 diabetes and eating disorders: the perspective of individuals.
- Predictors of Diabetes-related Quality of Life after Transitioning to the Insulin Pump.
- Cardiometabolic goal attainment during regular care of adult patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Isolation, motivation and balance: living with type 1 or cystic fibrosis-related diabetes.
- Difficulties or mistakes in diagnosing type 1 diabetes mellitus in children? The consequences of delayed diagnosis.
- Clinical impact of variability in HbA1c as assessed by simultaneously measuring fructosamine and use of error grid analysis.
- Inaccurate hemoglobin A(1C) levels in patients with type 1 diabetes and hereditary persistence of hemoglobin F.
- Patient's opinion on the barriers to diabetes control in areas of conflicts. The Iraqi example. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Psychological Correlates of Gluten-free Diet Adherence in Adults With Celiac Disease. Free Spanish-language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Diagnosis and clinical presentations of celiac disease: a multicenter study.
- Two cases presenting with pubertal delay and diagnosed as celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Courthouse X-ray scanners knock out kid's insulin pump.
- Bob Hawkinson Author battles diabetes with a smile. See also The Joy of Diabetes.
- Healthy fun for diabetic campers; Type 1 is the norm at Camp JADA.
- Insulet sees insulin pump output up sixfold.
- Children at risk from diabetes as illness goes undiagnosed.
- Daughter becomes mother's cause for juvenile diabetes.
- Olympian, Legendary Swimmer Gary Hall Jr. Teams With Lilly to Serve as Ambassador for Inspired By Diabetes Campaign.
- Idea Earth Brings Mobility To Type 1 Diabetics.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.