Of Continuing Interest
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008. Family scholarships are available from the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
New This Week
- CWD's Friends for Life conference has just concluded. We'll have a report up later this week.
- Diabetes Dad Tom Karlya shares It's Not Your Diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have sought counseling to help cope with diabetes. This week's poll asks readers about reuse of diabetes supplies.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Child Has Diabetes: A Parent's Guide to a Normal Life After Diagnosis by Karen Hargrave-Nykaza.
- Our Report from 2008 Scientific Sessions of the ADA is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I am home schooling our 5 year old son, who just went on the pump 5 months ago. Today we were learning about the letter 'S'. He was excited. "I know what begins with 'S'- 'Site change'! I'm sure any other teacher would be more than a little perplexed by this answer.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter wakes you up in the middle of the night and says, "Mommy, I'm beeping." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My niece, who is now staying with me, doesn't take care of her diabetes. I am scared something will happen to her. What kind of help is there out there that can help us deal with this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What basal rates do you use and what "pattern", if any?
Quilt for Life
- We received many new panels for the Quilt for Life in Orlando. The complete Quilt for Life will be shown next in Washington, DC on August 4 and 5, 2008.
Surveys and Studies
- The University of Florida in Gainesville is recruiting for a study of Neulasta in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Researchers at the MGH Diabetes Research Center are recruiting subjects to test an Automated Closed-Loop Glucose Control System for Type 1 Diabetics.
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Glucose and C-peptide Changes in the Peri-Onset Period of Type 1 Diabetes in the Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1.
- Lower levels of circulating IGF-I in Type 1 diabetic women with frequent severe hypoglycaemia during pregnancy.
- Cognitive impairment correlates to low auditory event-related potential amplitudes in type 1 diabetes.
- Polyclonal adaptive regulatory CD4 cells that can reverse type I diabetes become oligoclonal long-term protective memory cells.
- One amino acid difference is critical for suppression of the development of experimental autoimmune diabetes (EAD) with intravenous injection of insulinB:9-23 peptide.
- A human type 1 diabetes susceptibility locus maps to chromosome 21q22.3.
- Severe hypoglycaemia and glycaemic control in Type 1 diabetes: meta-analysis of multiple daily insulin injections compared with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
- Dosing accuracy of two insulin pre-filled pens.
- Antibody response to insulin in children and adolescents with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes.
- HbA1c variability and the risk of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes: data from the DCCT.
- Insulin administration and rate of glucose appearance in people with type 1 diabetes.
- Ketoacidosis occurs in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes- a population-based study from Northern Sweden.
- Diabetic retinopathy at high altitude.
- Assessment of bone mineral density in children with celiac disease.
- Urinary Stone Disease in Adults With Celiac Disease: Prevalence, Incidence and Urinary Determinants.
- Quantitative assessment of the degree of villous Atrophy in patients with Celiac disease.
- Capsule Endoscopy Findings in Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- NICE prescribes greater role for insulin pumps.
- Ontario zeroes in on diabetes.
- Artificial pancreas just years away, experts agree.
- Brownfield overcomes obstacles of Type 1 Diabetes, experiences life-changing trip to Yankee Stadium.
- European Commission Approved APIDRA® for Treatment of Children & Adolescents with Diabetes (PDF).
- Internationally Renowned Islet Cell Transplant Surgeon Joins UA.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.