Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008. Family scholarships are available from the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation. The application deadline for this scholarship is August 15, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
New This Week
- Our report from the Friends for Life 2008 conference is now online. We'll have many more pages of photographs up in a couple weeks.
- We'll have a report from the showing of the CWD Quilt for Life in Washington, DC, online next week. Sincere thanks to the many volunteers who helped to make the showing a success.
- Last week's poll asked readers how diabetes has affected their children who don't have diabetes. This week's poll asks teens and adults how often they check their blood sugar before driving.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Diabetes to School by Kim Gosselin. (Yes, it's almost that time of year again!)
- Our section about Type 2 Diabetes and Double Diabetes is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
You know you are home from a CWD conference when you reach into your pocket and find SOMEONE ELSE'S used test strip!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-diabetic children run around with used infusion sets hanging out of the waist of their pants telling their diabetic sister that they just changed their sites. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have an unspecified eating disorder and mild gastroparesis. I end up purging or bolusing too much insulin to get my stomach to feel empty, but the latter can cause a low. What else can I do?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Em's leaving for camp tomorrow and freaking out...
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 675 panels. We'll have a report from the showing in Washington, DC next week.
- Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology, edited by George S. Eisenbarth, has updated content.
- Diabetes and Eating Disorder Come Together as Diabulimia.
Advocacy, Events, and Support
- JDRF is now accepting applications for the 2009 Children's Congress.
- The West Valley Parents Of T1 Diabetic Kids is an online support group for families living in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
Products and Books
- Visit Betty Brackenridge's web site to learn about her new book, Draw Wide the Circle of Love: How to Unite Your Family in the Care of a Child with Diabetes. If you are a Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle or other important adult in the life of a child with diabetes, this book is for you.
- Maternal enterovirus infection during pregnancy as a risk factor in offspring diagnosed with type 1 diabetes between 15 and 30 years of age. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Dietary Glycemic Index, Development of Islet Autoimmunity, and Subsequent Progression to Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Gene gun-mediated DNA vaccination enhances antigen-specific immunotherapy at a late preclinical stage of type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice.
- Effects of glucagon on islet beta cell function in patients with diabetes mellitus.
- Spectrum of neurological syndromes associated with glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies: diagnostic clues for this association.
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes in NOD mice by genetic engineering of hematopoietic stem cells.
- The effect of long-term insulin treatment with and without antecedent hypoglycemia on neuropeptide and corticosteroid receptor expression in the brains of diabetic rats.
- Victimization of youth with type-1 diabetes by teachers: relations with adherence and metabolic control.
- Barriers to physical activity among patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Disturbed eating behaviors in Taiwanese adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a comparative study.
- Ethnicity and social deprivation independently influence metabolic control in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Lower fasting blood glucose, glucose variability and nocturnal hypoglycaemia with glargine vs NPH basal insulin in subjects with Type 1 diabetes.
- An update on the use of insulin detemir, with a focus on type 2 diabetes (drug evaluation update).
- Sudden death in type 1 diabetes: The mystery of the 'dead in bed' syndrome.
- Brain, a gluco-dependent organ: toxic effects of hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia.
- Short-term mortality risk in children and young adults with type 1 diabetes: The population-based Registry of the Province of Turin, Italy.
- Health-related quality of life of children and adolescents with type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus: SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Pilot study of a novel education programme for 11-16 year olds with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: the KICk-OFF course.
- Perceived diabetes status is independently associated with glucose monitoring behaviour among type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.
- Immunologic and biochemical factors of coincident celiac disease and type 1 diabetes mellitus in children.
- Review Article: the evidence base for long term management of celiac disease.
- Antagonist Peptides of the Gliadin T-cell Stimulatory Sequences: A Therapeutic Strategy for Celiac Disease.
- Deamidation of Gliadin Peptides in Lamina Propria: Implications for Celiac Disease.
- Running over medical obstacles. (Summer Games Alert: Amy Yoder-Begley will represent the United States in the 10,000 meters.)
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- An Artificial Pancreas: A device that reads glucose levels and delivers insulin may be close at hand. See also "Artificial Pancreas" For Some Diabetics; Experimental Device Delivers Insulin Without Involving Patient, which includes an excellent video segment from CBS News.
- Vitamin D for Babies May Prevent Diabetes Later in Life.
- 'For first time in 5 years, I felt great'.
- Three UF researchers win diabetes award.
- Kids & Diabetes: When Diagnosis Comes Early in Life, Child Takes on Adult-Size Responsibility.
- Bayer Diabetes Care Partners With Nick Jonas To Encourage Young People To Proactively Manage Their Diabetes; Teen Pop Sensation Shares Personal Story to Inspire Others. (Also available in PDF format.) See also Change for the Children Foundation, Walk in Nick's Shoes, Nick Jonas Launches Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Campaign, Nick Jonas Takes on Diabetes, a video interview with Nick Jonas, his mom, and Dr. David Simmons from Bayer Healthcare - Diabetes Care, and Nick Jonas speaks out about diabetes. You can also download Nick Jonas's song about diabetes, "A Little Bit Longer" from iTunes for $0.99. For every download between Aug 7 and Aug 21, Bayer Healthcare - Diabetes Care will make a donation to Jonas Brothers Change for the Children Foundation.
- 80 Million Americans Can Benefit From New Diabetes Resource; Free Educational Website Created By UCSF Diabetes Teaching Center Goes Live (PDF).
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.