Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
New This Week
- Our report from the Friends for Life 2008 conference is now online. We'll have more pages of photographs up next week.
- We have a brief report from the Quilt for Life Display in Washington, DC.
- The CGM Anti-Denial Campaign Petition aims to secure universal insurance coverage for continuous glucose monitoring systems.
- Inspired by Diabetes is a global campaign asking people with diabetes, as well as their family, friends and healthcare professionals, to express how diabetes has impacted their lives — and share those stories with others around the world.
- Zoie is 11 and was diagnosed in 2003.
- Last week's poll asked teens and adults how often they check their blood sugar before driving. This week's poll asks readers if they have a 504 plan for their child's diabetes care at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps & Continuous Glucose Monitors by H. Peter Chase, M.D., Jana Gaston, MS, CDE, RD, and Laurel Messer, RN, BSN.
- Our page with Information for Teachers and Child-Care Providers is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I just started work at a company where the majority of people have type 1 diabetes. I do not, but my 13 year old son does. I told him that the National Sales Meeting dinner was like being at diabetes camp. He quickly asked me, "So did you ask all of them if they tested and dosed before dinner?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find used infusion sets tied to the furniture as toys for the new kitten. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed at two, my teen daughter stopped caring about proper care two years ago and has had elevated A1cs and protein in her urine. Isn't she too young for complications?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What kind of alarm do you use to do checks during the night?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 675 panels.
- Diabetes in pregnancy: management of diabetes and its complications from preconception to the postnatal period (PDF) is from the UK's National Health Service and NICE.
Continuing Medical Education
- Don't let hypoglycemia drag your patient down.
Advocacy, Events, and Support
- JDRF is now accepting applications for the 2009 Children's Congress.
- Abstracts for presentations and sessions at the upcoming meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) are now online.
Surveys and Studies
- diaTribe is running Blood Glucose Test Strip Giveaway.
Diabetes in School
- Families in California are encouraged to read Outreach To California Families Of Children With Diabetes About The Legal Settlement Involving Diabetes Care In Schools. Additional information is available at the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) web site. (PDF)
Products and Books
- New Aspects Of Diabetes: Pathology And Treatment is an online readable book from 1914, prior to the discovery of insulin, and offers an historical perspective on diabetes from nearly 100 years ago.
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) identifies deficits in white matter microstructure in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus that correlate with reduced neurocognitive function.
- Intake of antioxidant vitamins and trace elements during pregnancy and risk of advanced beta cell autoimmunity in the child.
- Targeting CD22 reprograms B cells and reverses autoimmune diabetes.
- Insulin protein and proliferation in ductal cells in the transplanted pancreas of patients with type 1 diabetes and recurrence of autoimmunity.
- Extracellular matrix gel is necessary for in vitro cultivation of insulin producing cells from human umbilical cord blood derived mesenchymal stem cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Analysis of pancreas tissue in a child positive for islet cell antibodies.
- Abrupt onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus during recombinant interferon-alpha 2b therapy in a patient with chronic hepatitis B.
- Protein and glutamine kinetics during counter-regulatory failure in type 1 diabetes.
- Vitamin D and Human Health: Lessons from Vitamin D Receptor Null Mice. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Duration of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Prior to Seizures.
- Impact of family environment and support on adherence, metabolic control, and quality of life in adolescents with diabetes.
- Free full text for Differences in Family Mealtime Interactions between Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes and Controls: Implications for Behavioral Intervention, previously reported, is now available in HTML and PDF formats.
- People with type 1 diabetes using short acting analogue insulins are less dehydrated than those with using human soluble insulin prior to onset of diabetic ketoacidosis.
- New insulin analogues and routes of delivery: pharmacodynamic and clinical considerations.
- Parental anxiety and depression associated with caring for a child newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes: Opportunities for education and counseling.
- Restoration of Hypoglycemia Awareness after Islet Transplantation.
- Longitudinal changes in pancreatic and adipocyte hormones following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.
- UM Scientists Pinpoint Key Receptor in Celiac Disease.
- Interleukin 6 -174(G>C) gene polymorphism is related to celiac disease and autoimmune thyroiditis coincidence in diabetes type 1 children.
- In Vitro Differentiation of Human Monocytes into Dendritic Cells by Peptic-Tryptic Digest of Gliadin Is Independent of Genetic Predisposition and the Presence of Celiac Disease.
- Co-occurrence of celiac disease and other autoimmune diseases in celiacs and their first-degree relatives.
- Age-Related Clinical, Serological, and Histopathological Features of Celiac Disease.
- Aplastic anaemia in association with coeliac disease: a series of three cases.
- Gluten-free camp for kids with celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Primal screams is a story about the Jonas Brothers.
- Wade Wilson understands Jay Cutler's challenge.
- Gary Hall Jr.: Live from Beijing.
- Hometown Heroes: MacBride family - Hampton Township.
- Fighting juvenile diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.