Of Continuing Interest
- For those families interested in participating in CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, please make your room reservations and send in your conference registration forms as soon as possible. CWD has expanded the room block and meeting space to acccommodate all those who wish to join us! This beachfront venue is entirely renovated and just beautiful! Hotel reservations close on November 28.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Pumping: Toronto 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada from March 6-8, 2009.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- CWD's first Friends for Life UK conference will be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Visit Diabetes Handprint to submit the word in your hand. For every word submitted, OneTouch will donate $5 up to a maximum of $250,000 for the Diabetes Education and Camping Association (DECA) to support children's diabetes camps and to Taking Control of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) to support adult diabetes conferences. See also Annoucement about DiabetesHandprint.com and OneTouch® Teams With Online Diabetes Community To Launch Global Diabetes Handprint Project.
- The Diabetes HOWTM Coalition brings together multiple members of the diabetes community – patients and their loved ones, health care professionals, diabetes and public health organizations, and businesses – in an effort to inspire action at the community level that will improve the quality of life for people living with and at risk for diabetes. Tell us about initiatives that improve quality of life for people with diabetes taking place in your community so that others can learn from your experiences.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Chicago 2009 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel in Chicago, Illinois from April 24-26, 2009.
- We have a brief report from the 2008 Diabetes Technology Conference, recently held in Bethesda, Maryland.
- World Diabetes Day – a global event for children.
- The 2009 Inspired by Diabetes competition has begun. Entries must be submitted by March 31, 2009. Note that for every contest entry, Lilly will donate money to IDF's Life for a Child program, which supports diabetes centers in developing countries that provide critically needed care and education for children with diabetes.
- DiabetesMineTM announces the Holiday Survival Sweepstakes.
- Last week's poll asked readers what they use to record blood glucose values. This week's poll asks readers how many times per day, on average, they check their blood glucose level.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for ONE, Second Edition, by Kathleen Stanley, CDE, RD, LD, MSEd, BC-ADM and Connie C. Crawley, MS, RD, LD.
- What To Do When You Give the Wrong Insulin Dose is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen son had a serious low the other day that got me thinking about the future. How should we handle such situations when he goes off on his own? Also, should he get a continuous glucose monitor?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Any idea how BG was 130 at dinner and 395 at bedtime?
- Grandparents are invited to join Betty, Rachele and Bruce for a special CWD Grandparents Chat from 9-10 pm on Thursday, November 20th in the Grandparents Chat Room.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference. The chat begins at 9pm Eastern on Tuesday, November 25th in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- A Day in the Life of Type 1 Diabetes.
Advocacy, Fundraising Events, and Support
- Novo Nordisk And Billie Jean King Provide Two Scholarships To Young Tennis Players With Diabetes.
- MoreThanCards offers holiday greeting cards to benefit the CWD Foundation.
Surveys and Studies
- Researchers at Northwestern University are seeking participants in a study called Prevent Risks by Early interVEntion at Nighttime in Type 1 diabetes for Kidney Disease (PREVENTKD).
- The University of Florida is studying Neulasta in patients with new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Nemours is running a survey of parents of kids (up to age 18) with type 1 diabetes to understand how they learn about the potential long-term health risks of diabetes.
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
Products and Books
- Stericyle offers mail back sharps disposal products.
- Fasting plasma C-peptide and micro- and macrovascular complications in a large clinic-based cohort of type 1 diabetic people.
- Exenatide Sensitizes Insulin-mediated Whole-body Glucose Disposal and Promotes Uptake of Exogenous Glucose by the Liver.
- Influence of cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy on atherogenesis and heart function in patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- Recovery of endogenous beta cell function in non-human primates following chemical diabetes induction and islet transplantation.
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitors reverse type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice. See also Two cancer drugs prevent, reverse type 1 diabetes, UCSF study shows.
- Mitomycin C-treated dendritic cells inactivate autoreactive T cells: Toward the development of a tolerogenic vaccine in autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Egg Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Men and Women.
- Effect of Age of Infusion Site and Type of Rapid-Acting Analog on Pharmacodynamic Parameters of Insulin Boluses in Youth with TIDM on Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Pramlintide in the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- Intensity of immunity in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus vaccinated against hepatitis B.
- Psychological Therapy to Improve Control of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Web-based Collaborative Care for Type 2 Diabetes: a Pilot Randomized Trial.
- beta-cell autoimmunity in pediatric celiac: the case for routine screening?
Legal and Legislative
- Judge rejects pact on injecting diabetic kids. See also California judge rules only nurses can give insulin to kids, The American Nurses Association, ANA/California, And The California School Nurses Organization Win Case Enforcing The California Nursing Practice Act In Administering Insulin To Students With Diabetes In California's K-12 Public Schools (PDF).
- Diabetes advocates push lawmakers for insurance reform.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Health or Wealth? Tough Choice for Diabetics -- Diabetes Treatment Costs Rise; Many Diabetics Cannot Keep Up.
- 51 years of diabetes and insulin.
- Poll finds that young diabetes patients have trouble coping.
- Two Girls Are Best Friends, Help Each Other With Diabetes.
- Geri Winkler seeks a new adventure along the Silk Road; Type 1 diabetic travels through Central Asia.
- Shannon Koehle: Q&A - Miss Black U.S.A. 2007 And Diabetes Advocate Kalilah Allen-Harris.
- Pumped up for life.
- Ray Allen, Wife Recall Son's Diabetes Diagnosis .
- Insulin pump treatment is not equitable in New Zealand.
- Cost of insulin pumps for children to be covered (in British Columbia). See also B.C. limits insulin aid for kids.
- Study Finds Cost of Diabetes in the United States Exceeds $217 Billion. Also available in PDF format.
As a reminder, the weekly "What's New in Children with Diabetes" email newsletter is now sent on Wednesdays.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:23
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.